High calorie amount in my Coffee

Options
cssyti
cssyti Posts: 108 Member
I have recently just started drinking coffee. So I was messing around until I found something I like. Sheetz house blend coffee, sugar, whole milk and chocolate cream flavor creamer. I cant stand the bitter taste of coffee so I need to add milk, creamer and sugar. However, I then realized that I changed a 10 - 15 calorie drink into 342 calories??? WOW

Any ideas on how to lower the calories and still taste like hot chocolate? Or just stick with a can of soda (150 calories):ohwell: ?

Replies

• fruttibiscotti
    fruttibiscotti Posts: 986 Member
    Options
    I'm able to add heavy cream, skip the sugar, and stay within my macronutrient and total calorie goals.
  • fleetzz
    fleetzz Posts: 962 Member
    Options
    Nope. My coffee has to have creamer and sugar in order for it to taste good. Gave it up.
  • SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options
    I use three teaspoons of CoffeeMate and Splenda. That is 30 calories.
  • pittbullgirl
    pittbullgirl Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    Can you add a packet of sugar free hot cocoa?

or raw cocoa powder?

Personally, I just add soy or flax milk to mine, I dont use sugar. I just gradually started cutting down until I could drink it without sugar. :)
  • Fittreelol
    Fittreelol Posts: 2,535 Member
    Options
    I'm impressed you found something from sheetz that's palatable. If you really hate it just drink espresso. It's like a shot of booze. It might not taste the best, but it's over quickly and it gets the job done.
  • AlyssaJoJo
    AlyssaJoJo Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    I was also going to suggest adding hot cocoa mix! It makes it into a really good mocha coffee that you can also add half n half too.

Whatever you're doing - keep doing it but slowly put less and less into your coffee until you don't need all that stuff in it.
  • casiobarnes
    casiobarnes Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I also used to take milk and sugar in my coffee, but have found that just milk is "sweet" enough now. For every 8oz cup, I add a quarter cup of 2% milk. It's something you have to work gradually towards, and your tongue just get's used to it!
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    I have recently just started drinking coffee. So I was messing around until I found something I like. Sheetz house blend coffee, sugar, whole milk and chocolate cream flavor creamer. I cant stand the bitter taste of coffee so I need to add milk, creamer and sugar. However, I then realized that I changed a 10 - 15 calorie drink into 342 calories??? WOW

Any ideas on how to lower the calories and still taste like hot chocolate? Or just stick with a can of soda (150 calories):ohwell: ?

if you had to add all that why even drink coffee? its really not even coffee anymore …its warm coca beans with a crap ton of sugar and cream….
  • Shellz31
    Shellz31 Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    My first thought is, maybe you should try some hot tea! :drinker:

Otherwise, there are a couple things you can try. One thing I did with my occasional latte and reduce the sugar over time until now I don't need any and it still tastes great. It takes a while but it works. I use vanilla soy milk in lattes because it's already a little sweet.

You could also try adding unsweetened almond milk (only 30 calories a cup) instead of whole milk. Maybe try cocoa powder instead of the creamer. Sometimes I'll put about 1/4 package of hot chocolate into my coffee to give it that taste. If you're into artificial sweeteners they could replace sugar.

If you can't find a combo that works for you then I'd give up coffee. Over 300 liquid calories, to me, doesn't seem worth it. And you just started drinking coffee so you're not an addict yet :wink:
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options

if you had to add all that why even drink coffee? its really not even coffee anymore …its warm coca beans with a crap ton of sugar and cream….

This...just go ahead and have a soda...I'm not sure what you're trying to accomplish here.Sugar is sugar whether you're having it in a soda or dumping it into your coffee.

Personally, I'd just buy a better coffee and have it black or with just a splash of milk. good coffee rocks...****ty coffee is ****ty....
  • cssyti
    cssyti Posts: 108 Member
    Options

This...just go ahead and have a soda...I'm not sure what you're trying to accomplish here.Sugar is sugar whether you're having it in a soda or dumping it into your coffee.

Personally, I'd just buy a better coffee and have it black or with just a splash of milk. good coffee rocks...****ty coffee is ****ty....

I am just trying to find a way to drink caffeine without a crap ton of calories and have it taste decent.
  • jamiek917
    jamiek917 Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    try the cafe caramel K-cup by Cafe Escapes (if u have access to a keurig). for 60 calories its the perfect combination of sweet caramel flavored coffee with a perfect amount of cream and sugar added. i add 1 packet of splenda, and it becomes the most delicious coffee, without killing my cals.
  • Moosycakes
    Moosycakes Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    Why don't you just have skinny hot choc? And caffeine pills if you're desperate...
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options

skinny mocha?
  • adorbis
    Options
    I like to add 1 serving of coconut oil (14g) and 1/2 scoop of whey isolate (chocolate, 18g) to mine. Makes for 180 calories or so. It's a little higher than soda, but much better for you. Fits my macros better also.
  • FindingAmy77
    FindingAmy77 Posts: 1,266 Member
    Options
    how about try sugar free vanilla creamer for only 30 calories a tablespoon and some sugar free hot cocoa mix just to taste. Or try the creamer with some of that splenda coffee flavorings they sell in the coffee section. Or your best bet is to just give up on the coffee and get you some sugar free or fat free mocha instant capucino. you get 2 tablespoons for only 50 calories. THis is really the best way to drop your calories while getting in some caffeine.
  • DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    Options

This. If you don't like the taste of actual coffee, don't bother. I just add a small bit of milk in my coffee. Done. But then I like the taste of coffee.
  • danielleb886
    danielleb886 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Try almond milk or sugar free creamer. Coffeemate has a tbsp for 15 calories. Oh, also you can buy sugar free syrup to add some flavor!
  • abuck_13
    abuck_13 Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    Coffee is definitely something you need to get used to. Sheetz is usually pretty good. I'd try going from whole to 2% and then to skim. I think they also offer sugar free creamer, which will help, and cut back on the sugar as was suggested. I vary, depending on how I feel. I can drink coffee black most of the time, but there are days you just want something in it.
  • jellybeanhed313
    jellybeanhed313 Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    I used to love sweet coffee, but I've gradually added less and less sugar or sweet creamer. Now I just put half & half with about a teaspoon of coconut oil and love it! Sometimes I just drink it black with coconut oil.

I'd just skip the coffee altogether if you don't like the taste. Green tea, black tea, espresso shot, sugar free hot chocolate or just take some caffine pills...no calories in those. Or just drink more water in the morning because being properly hydrated will give you energy too. :)