DIETARY DIARY

Options
Hello i been trying to get a weight loss surgery done but their asking me for a dietary diary i need to keep it for at least tree weeks and fill it out as i go but i don't know what i suppose to be eating this doctor is good but stricly. He wants me to 1add the time for each meal and drink. 2 type of food and quantity. 3what you were doing when you ate or drank and also where you were at the time. Can anyone help me out i really appreciate it. Thanks

Replies

• wheird
    wheird Posts: 7,963 Member
    Options
    Did he not give you a list of acceptable foods?
  • OMGeeeHorses
    OMGeeeHorses Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    -_- can't be too good of a doctor if he didn't set you up on success. I can honestly say he is going to want you to try and lose weight for a few months and see how your body handles basic grounds nutritional eating. Example: Protein Shake for Breakfast, Lunch a salad with chicken and tons of veggies and dinner will be a lean meat ( fish, bison, beef or whatever) with some grains (rice or oatmeal) and another veggie and a fruit for a snack. I remember this from when I was debating surgery and then I decided, I wanted to be able to drink and eat at the same time. So I am slowly losing the weight on my own.

OH! also he is meaning like you worked out for this amount of time at this time of day, along with you ate lunch at 12pm and a snack at 2pm and so forth.
  • triztona
    Options
    Hello no he didn't he just gave a package on the diary it says he wants to see the patern of time and foods i eat. Ugh this is stressful.
  • llama7891
    llama7891 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Surely he's just asking you to record what you're currently eating / drinking in order to assess fi the surgery is suitable for you?
  • amy1612
    amy1612 Posts: 1,356 Member
    Options
    Hello i been trying to get a weight loss surgery done but their asking me for a dietary diary i need to keep it for at least tree weeks and fill it out as i go but i don't know what i suppose to be eating this doctor is good but stricly. He wants me to 1add the time for each meal and drink. 2 type of food and quantity. 3what you were doing when you ate or drank and also where you were at the time. Can anyone help me out i really appreciate it. Thanks

The doctor wants you to log what you normally eat and the times at which you eat. They will want an accurate representation, not a 'I was trying to be good' diary. Just eat as you normally do, and write it down.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Surely he's just asking you to record what you're currently eating / drinking in order to assess fi the surgery is suitable for you?

sounds like it to me...

not stressful at all, just carry on as normal and be honest....
  • BernadetteChurch
    BernadetteChurch Posts: 2,210 Member
    Options

This!

I imagine if you are a candidate for surgery you'll be given a strict diet to follow, but for now just do what he's asked and record everything you eat and drink.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    just looked at your ticker... you're getting weight loss surgery to lose 45lbs?!?!
  • 1Lightstep
    1Lightstep Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Hello

At the bottom of the exercise diary and the food diary is a notes section. You are already doing most of it if you are filling in the food you are eating in the diary, if you just add the notes, that sounds like that should satisfy him.

You can add a note to your food diary when you add the food, E.g. breakfast, location, time. As for what you were doing when you ate or drank, maybe he wants to see what activity you were doing right before you ate to see if it is a trigger. E.g. watching tv, in a supermarket etc.

Good luck.
  • pkw58
    pkw58 Posts: 2,038 Member
    Options
    Well, first things first. The Doctor probably wants to look at your "normal" eating patterns and foods to see what, if any, food choices and portion sizes you make, as well as when and why you are eating. Keeping a diary is a good thing, It's one of the many small good daily habits we develop to reach and maintain our fitness goals. My dermatologist asked me to keep one when I went in to determine if anything was impacting a skin condition I had.

Keep the diary on an old school ruled notebook. You will be glad you did.
  • cubsgirlinny
    cubsgirlinny Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    This isn't actually too difficult of a request. I already log time and activity in my food notes. Example: breakfast: 715 (while driving to school). Dinner: 1930. (after gym). Simple notes can help you see patterns; i.e. are you eating when you're stressed/distracted/fully awake and alert. Logging this way can also help you see patterns in your energy and behavior as well as consumption. Good luck.