Shakeology vs. Body by Vi or other shake products

124»

Replies

• lisajodean
    lisajodean Posts: 22 Member
    As for the green smoothie question, I LOVE green smoothies! They make it soooo much easier to get in a little bit of veggies without actually having to taste them (I really dislike most vegetables). The way I make them is to throw in a handful or two of spinach (you can use kale or arugula too, from what I've heard...just make sure it's a dark green leafy vegetable) into whatever smoothie I was already planning on making. So like, I'll make a blueberry muffin smoothie (I've discovered that if I add a tad bit of "imitation butter flavor" -- it comes in an extract bottle and is found with the other extracts -- it makes my smoothie taste like a baked good!), and just add spinach for more nutrients. The great thing is you really honestly can't taste whatever leafy green you've thrown in. It just tastes the same as the awesome smoothie did before you added it.

So to sum up, a green smoothie for me is fruit + protein powder + water + ice (I like the texture the ice gives it) + leafy greens ( + extracts, sometimes, for more/different flavor).

Also, don't worry about any haters that may pop up -- I see nothing wrong with making smoothies (or shakes, if that's your thing) as a supplement to an otherwise balanced diet. They make an awesome low-ish cal and nutritious snack or meal. Just remember, like another poster said -- don't use them if you don't plan on continuing to use them after you hit your goal weight. That's a great way to end up yo-yo dieting.

Thank you! I will have to try it! (Though spinach in a blender scares me). :)
  • elleloch
    elleloch Posts: 739 Member
    I use shakeology too. I would never, ever tell anyone that it's a weight loss product because it isn't; it's a health supplement shake and protein shake in one. I ate a pretty good diet before shakeology, and still eat a good diet in addition to it and I feel fantastic. As others have said, it might not work for everyone but it works for me. You might hear of people losing weight with shakeology but if they are using the products and are exercising, eating well and taking care of themselves - a side effect of that is a healthy weight. No one NEEDS shakeology to do that, but it's just something I enjoy using so I keep doing it.
  • hottamolly00
    hottamolly00 Posts: 334 Member
    Unbiased opinion; buy a protein powder and a quality multivitamin instead, for all of the benefit and less of the cost.

This!!

But seriously... most of those shakes are just a bunch of proteins, vitamins, and flavor...and most taste like complete crap.

Find a good protein you like (I've heard Trutein Cinnamon Bun is beyond delicious) and add it to some soy or almond milk. Take a good multivitamin everyday. It's much cheaper, tastes better, and most likely has more much-needed protein.

That being said, if you want a good "all-for-one" shake--I'd recommend Alive Whole Food Energizer Vanilla. It tastes horrible...100% grossness. But if you make it into a quick shot (which is what I do with it) you get a freakish amount of good stuff out of it and it's rather cheap in comparison.

So I guess my question then is, I have never used protein powders. I actually just assumed they were like shake powders but for gaining muscle instead of weight loss? I love shakes because I feel like I am having dessert. I have a huge ice cream addiction and shakes were a way to help curb gorging myself on ice cream. Will protein powders limit weight loss? I would love to gain muscle (eventually) but for now I am still in weight loss mode.

Yes, protein will increase muscle. More muscle = increased metabolism = more maintenance calories to get to eat, so yes, you can still lose weight while gaining muscle. Just keep staying under your calories. Again, is the number on the scale your end goal? Or is it a certain look you're trying to achieve?

LMAO, Beachbody coaches are the best for their pearls of wisdom

Oh, I'm sorry. I didn't realize this was a forum strictly for nutritionists and personal trainers. Exactly how did YOU learn how to get cut and lean? Because I learned from ****loads of trial and error to get to my fit physique. Experience can certainly trump book knowledge, although book knowledge definitely helped me in MY journey of losing 32 pounds the healthy, sustainable way.
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Unbiased opinion; buy a protein powder and a quality multivitamin instead, for all of the benefit and less of the cost.

This!!

But seriously... most of those shakes are just a bunch of proteins, vitamins, and flavor...and most taste like complete crap.

Find a good protein you like (I've heard Trutein Cinnamon Bun is beyond delicious) and add it to some soy or almond milk. Take a good multivitamin everyday. It's much cheaper, tastes better, and most likely has more much-needed protein.

That being said, if you want a good "all-for-one" shake--I'd recommend Alive Whole Food Energizer Vanilla. It tastes horrible...100% grossness. But if you make it into a quick shot (which is what I do with it) you get a freakish amount of good stuff out of it and it's rather cheap in comparison.

So I guess my question then is, I have never used protein powders. I actually just assumed they were like shake powders but for gaining muscle instead of weight loss? I love shakes because I feel like I am having dessert. I have a huge ice cream addiction and shakes were a way to help curb gorging myself on ice cream. Will protein powders limit weight loss? I would love to gain muscle (eventually) but for now I am still in weight loss mode.

Yes, protein will increase muscle. More muscle = increased metabolism = more maintenance calories to get to eat, so yes, you can still lose weight while gaining muscle. Just keep staying under your calories. Again, is the number on the scale your end goal? Or is it a certain look you're trying to achieve?
    Protein will increase muscle, when coupled with a calorie surplus and a stimulus to facilitate growth - i.e. resistance exercise.

If you're in an energy deficit, it is incredibly difficult to build new tissue of any sort.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member

This!!

LMAO, Beachbody coaches are the best for their pearls of wisdom

Oh, I'm sorry. I didn't realize this was a forum strictly for nutritionists and personal trainers. Exactly how did YOU learn how to get cut and lean? Because I learned from ****loads of trial and error to get to my fit physique. Experience can certainly trump book knowledge, although book knowledge definitely helped me in MY journey of losing 32 pounds the healthy, sustainable way.

Usually calling oneself a "coach" infers they have some sort of knowledge in that realm. Have you answered how you know ShakeO has soooooo many nutrients when everything is hidden in a prop blend? Anecdotal evidence is just that anecdotal and if you've listen to enough of it, you'll see it's often rife with fallacious logic.

As for me, I read and lurked and learned and then applied everything. Getting in shape isn't rocket science
  • TheNewJB
    TheNewJB Posts: 30 Member
    I LOVE NutriBurn by Nature's Sunshine -- both the chocolate and vanilla flavors. They don't have aspartame or sucralose which give me headaches but instead use stevia extract. I can drink them just shaken with water or I can blend them with frozen fruit, almond or peanut butter, etc. I have tasted Shakeology and think the strawberry one was okay but the other day I just used another sample I had of the Vegan Chocolate -- tasted terrible to me. I'll stick with the NutriBurn - 25g of protein, 15g carb, 6g fiber, 6g fat, 220 calories per 2 scoops in the vanilla.

I also tried another one I think I got from the Vitamin Shoppe that was made with egg white protein which wasn't too bad either. I think it was called Jay _____ (something). I liked the fact that they had packets you could buy to try it out instead of being stuck with a big tub of something you don't like.