Work trip while on a diet?!

Options
I travel for my job about 6 times a year doing tradeshows. Next week I leave for Long Beach, CA for my first trip since I have been on a "diet" and workout plan. We are staying in a normal hotel with just a mini fridge and no place I can cook my own food. Therefore we will be eating out for breakfast lunch and dinner!!! As well, my colleagues including the boss are 3 overweight men who are totally happy with that and would eat at any place. I don't know what I'm going to do, the only sure thing is that I can work out at night to offset some of the extra calories and I'll be on my feet during the show vs. sitting at a desk.

Any help or suggestions on how to get through this trip and not completely derail my efforts over the last month?!!! Thanks :)

Replies

• jhandley
    jhandley Posts: 118
    Options
    #1 Question.....are you going to have access to transportation?
  • MzBug
    MzBug Posts: 2,173 Member
    Options
    Most hotels now have some sort of exercise facility or guest admission to a local gym. There is also the possibility of walking around the hotel parking lot (I do that at the grocery store) or walking up and down the stairs. Maybe they will let you take a couple breaks and you can walk around the trade show for 15-20 minutes a few times a day. As far as eatting goes, just make the best choices available. Since it will be Long Beach I am sure most places will have healthy options on the menu. Get yourself some yogurt, fruits and vegies for the hotel fridge. If you have a microwave get some popcorn and some oatmeal (I have made oatmeal in the styrofoam coffee cups). Just do the best you can and don't beat yourself up about it. Enjoy your trip!
  • elainegsd
    elainegsd Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    Bring or get low-cal snacks so you have healthy food on hand.
    Remember to eat/snack regularly while at the trade show, otherwise you will be hungry enough to eat anything!
    Pick up some kind of protein that you can stash in the mini-fridge (my favorite is Chobani Greek yogurt). This will allow you to order SOMETHING at the restaurants (simple salad, veggies, etc) and know that you don't have to face deep-fried restaurant chicken with a ton of sauce, etc.
    Plan your meals before you go to eat. Look up menus on the internet or even enter the restaurant name into MFP food search, and allocate your calories up front.
  • abyt42
    abyt42 Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options
    I travel 2 weekends a month, and here's what I do:

Pack baggies of nonperishable snacks (raw almonds plus raisins, wasabi peas, etc.) so that I have snacks available when I start to fade. Bring a nonperishable breakfast (I'm a fan of OatFit, but you need access to a microwave for that. Bring a mug if this is the path you're taking!) Small bagels are great, too (I make mine when I can; half of a Sara Lee bagel, though, also works).

Make sure there's plenty of water (as long as facilities are also available), particularly if there's going to be eating out. Also, check, if you have time, what your eating out options are: you may be able to suggest a place with a lighter menu if the rest of the group you're with doesn't have a preference.

I also split unhealthy sides (but I'm travelling with friends who also want fries, but just a taste).

Good luck!
  • jhandley
    jhandley Posts: 118
    Options
    here are some suggestions... ( i tend to ramble....sorry)

YES do the steps at the hotel, even if its a two story - do them a couple of times, surely the weather will be cooperative.

If you have access to transportation go to the local grocer to get some fruits and veggies, quick 100 calorie snacks bags, case of water (I'd drink a case for sure in three days)

Microwave will work for some foods, but also keep in mind the coffee pot can also give you HOT water in return, for instance oatmeal or soups.

Most likely your co-workers will not be storing stuff in the fridge so utilize that space with lots of healthy items, keep in mind bananas, apples, etc dont have to be fridged - you can just simply put them on the dresser/desk in the room.
  • mybutterflower
    mybutterflower Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Try to research potential restaurants ahead of time. There's so much information on MFP and on the internet in general that finding healthy choices shouldn't be too difficult or stressful. Most restaurants in California are required to have their nutritional information available upon request, so you could always ask for that info if you don't have time to check it out beforehand :)
  • leanne1973
    leanne1973 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    1. You don't have to eat everything on your plate!
    2. Ask for low calorie options when ordering food - it's a hotel, they are used to catering for people with allergies! Cutting out the sauce or the dressing, grilling instead of frying is no big deal to them.
    3. Carry around healthy snacks and water - nuts, dried raisins etc. Pick if you need to. I reckon you will be burning up quite a lot of calories while you're working - these trade shows are hard work! I bet if you wore a pedometer while you're working you'd be surpised how much you move around!
    4. Relax! Dropping the diet for one day and eating full fat/fried/with dressing for one night is not going to put 10lbs back on you! You're going to be working hard, so reward yourself! You can do a mini detox when you get back! ;)

Good luck x x
  • BridgetteFLA
    Options
    #1 Question.....are you going to have access to transportation?

We will have a rental car to be shared, my boss always drives, not even sure if I'm on it to drive?
  • BridgetteFLA
    Options
    Thanks for all the tips everyone! I will have to force my boss to take me to the store to get water and healthy snacks and somthing to eat for breakfast. Plus this will save him money, bottled water can go for $4 a bottle at convention centers!

I will definitely hit the hotel gym or if lack of the stairs etc.

I guess the worst part is the eating out. I will have to be careful some meals that you think would be healthy end up having 1,000 + calories. Not to mention all the after hours receptions we get invited to, open bar and heavy appetizers will definitely test my will power!

All great ideas, thanks!!
  • darcibean
    Options
    Hey Bridgette!

My husband just got back from Los Angeles, and he just ate salads the whole time he was gone...he lost 5lbs while he was in CA...CA has a lot of healthy options, so I would just suggest salads...grilled chicken, low calorie dressings...bring some snacks with you! If you have an iphone or droid, add the MFP app and you can add your foods on from that! Best part is it's free!