Stretching...is this a do or don't??

Options
I'd like to get some advise on stretching. Should I be stretching before working out or after? Or is it important to stretch at all? Will streching change the appearance of my body? For example will it make me look taller and leaner? Thanks for any advice you can give!

Replies

• Leadfoot_Lewis
    Leadfoot_Lewis Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options
    I'd like to get some advise on stretching. Should I be stretching before working out or after?

Both but don't do long bouts of stretching prior to lifting. There's been studies done that have proven that long bouts of stretching prior to lifting actually weakens the muscles. That said if a muscle is really tight, stretch it good before lifting. A tight muscle is a short muscle so it needs to stretched a bit longer regardless. As you work muscles, they'll get tight (and shorten) so longer stretching afterwards is a good thing.
    For example will it make me look taller and leaner?

Not sure if serious?....
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Never stretch cold muscles- bad mojo.

You should always do a light warm up of 2-3 minutes (some people say 5 but I don't have time for that) then do some stretching/mobitlity stuff.

then do your work out- stretch's what's tight as you work out- I do a lot of back stretching when I'm doing squats- you are loading the spine- so I like to jump on the pull up bar and dead hang and let the body weight do it's stretching- feels glorious.

Then stretch some more- buy a foam roller- roll what's tight.
    Mobitliy, stretching, flexibility- next to rest/recovery- are the two most over lucked aspects of fitness.

Seriously.

make you leaner/taller?

Stretching affects muscles.

Bones make you the height you are.

So. No.
  • BlueBombers
    BlueBombers Posts: 4,065 Member
    Options
    I don't stretch, I just warm up with some cardio before lifting.
  • delicious_cocktail
    delicious_cocktail Posts: 5,797 Member
    Options
    Warm up (jumping jacks, stairs, whatever, slow jog)
    Exercise (lift/cardio)
    Static stretching (gentle, slow, stretches - no bouncing)
  • Marrowshard
    Options
    Warmup - Stretch - Workout - Stretch

That's how I do it anyway ... like another poster said, don't stretch cold muscles, ALWAYS do a warmup (jog, jacks, jumprope). Stretching prevents injury!
  • Hestion
    Hestion Posts: 740 Member
    Options
    Very important after working out, helps prevent injury! I didn't stretch properly and i paid the price!
  • bc2ct
    bc2ct Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    I stretch all the time and practically live on my foam roller. Honestly I don't think it's one of those things for which there is a hard and fast rule... do what feels good to you!
  • JONZ64
    JONZ64 Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    I stretch all the time and practically live on my foam roller. Honestly I don't think it's one of those things for which there is a hard and fast rule... do what feels good to you!

I Love/Hate my Foam roller; Foam is Sooooo misleading:laugh: but I do a warm up light stretch, then stretch after. The foam roller really helps with my legs after running and I have fusion at L5-S1 and it is a great help there too
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options

That's how I do it anyway ... like another poster said, don't stretch cold muscles, ALWAYS do a warmup (jog, jacks, jumprope). Stretching prevents injury!

That depends upon what type of stretching you're talking about. Dynamic stretching prior can, but if you perform static stretching before a workout (warm or not) it can actually heighten the chance of injury. From my experience, dynamic stretching is most commonly recommended prior to exercise. From High School through College, and beyond I've never had a strength and conditioning trainer put us through static stretches prior to competition. Dynamic Stretches/Plyos.
  • TwelveSticks
    TwelveSticks Posts: 288 Member
    Options

^^^ This.

Ignore those that are giving advice based on the assumption that you are only lifting. Stretching is vital before doing cardio - go look at any professional sports team you can imagine before they play a game and note how much stretching they do. It helps prevent injury.

Light stretching after cardio also helps reduce the chance of stiffness.

Stretching is less important if all you are doing is lifting, for sure, but I would still do some...
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options

This!^ If you feel particularly tight in one area .....make sure you incorporate stretching (not cold muscles). Everyone is different .....I have tight hamstings....I always have to stretch those.
  • born2drum
    born2drum Posts: 731 Member
    Options
    I foam roll and strectch BUT NEVER BEFORE MY WORKOUTS. I usually do them at night while watching TV. Helps breakdown muscle fibers and speed up recovery.

Instead of stretching before a workout, hop on a treadmill at a steady speed and slight incline for 5-10 min (this will be your warmup). That's it. You're welcome :)
  • Confuzzled4ever
    Confuzzled4ever Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    I'd like to get some advise on stretching. Should I be stretching before working out or after? Or is it important to stretch at all? Will streching change the appearance of my body? For example will it make me look taller and leaner? Thanks for any advice you can give!
    Both!!!

do a quick warm up then stretch.. then workout then stretch. It'll help prevent you from injuring yourself, and will help avoid super stiff muscles the next day. Plus it feel AWESOME to stretch after a workout. :~)
  • bc2ct
    bc2ct Posts: 222 Member
    Options

I Love/Hate my Foam roller; Foam is Sooooo misleading:laugh: but I do a warm up light stretch, then stretch after. The foam roller really helps with my legs after running and I have fusion at L5-S1 and it is a great help there too

I KNOW!! I have a rumble roller and a trigger point smart core roller and they rotate between heaven (release of upper/lower back tension) and hell (IT Band... 'nuff said!)
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options

^^^ This.

Ignore those that are giving advice based on the assumption that you are only lifting. Stretching is vital before doing cardio - go look at any professional sports team you can imagine before they play a game and note how much stretching they do. It helps prevent injury.

Light stretching after cardio also helps reduce the chance of stiffness.

Stretching is less important if all you are doing is lifting, for sure, but I would still do some...

Actually static stretching prior to cardio is really....really frowned upon, and many sports teams don't perform static stretching prior to competition. Dynamic stretching and plyometric warmups.
  • Confuzzled4ever
    Confuzzled4ever Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    Ok.. what's a foam roller do? How do you use it? What's it's purpose? What's the benefits? Pre cardio? Pre lifting? or Post? both or only for one?
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    snip snip snop
    [/b]Stretching is less important if all you are doing is lifting[/b]...bla bla bla

that is the biggest load of crap ever.

It's almost more important. mobility is wildly important to lifting. I stretch more now than I ever did running cross country.
  • JONZ64
    JONZ64 Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options

I KNOW!! I have a rumble roller and a trigger point smart core roller and they rotate between heaven (release of upper/lower back tension) and hell (IT Band... 'nuff said!)

I injured my knee and was using it on IT band and my son was looking at me "Dad WTH! if it hurts so much why are you doing it?":laugh: but in the end it is awesome:happy:
  • MyOwnSunshine
    MyOwnSunshine Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    Short cardio warm-up, 3-5 minutes of dynamic stretching before lifting, 3-5 minutes of static stretching or foam rolling after lifting, 25 minutes of yoga on my rest days.

Stretching will make you more flexible, which enables you to have a better range of motion during workouts and daily activities. Some would say that flexibility helps to prevent injuries.
  • delicious_cocktail
    delicious_cocktail Posts: 5,797 Member
    Options
    Actually static stretching prior to cardio is really....really frowned upon, and many sports teams don't perform static stretching prior to competition. Dynamic stretching and plyometric warmups.

^ this.