Planned Menus VS DIY?

Options
Okay, I'm having a super hard time with the diet side of my weight loss. I eat my calories [usually under] but they aren't the right kind of calories you kno? the kind that help you lose weight and gain muscle. QUESTION:

Do you follow a diet regimen that is pre made i.e. south beach, jenny craige, etc?

Or

Do you create your own menu?

I don't like having to create my own menu, so do you have any diet(s) suggestions that worked for you?

Thanks!

Replies

• ninjacakegirl
    ninjacakegirl Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Since I don't have the extra money for a weight loss program like Jenny Craig, I use the MyFitnessPal app on my phone when I do grocery shopping. Having my goals right there where I can see them helps me choose better options when it comes to everything I eat. Not only that, but unlike SparkPeople, I can choose what I eat, not have it laid out for me with suggestions for stuff I either don't like or can't eat. Freedom of choice is amazing. :)
  • redefiningmyself
    redefiningmyself Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    I'm following what my doctor recommended for me. Its 50% veggies at every meal. 25% lean protein and 25% carbs. I eat fruit at snacks usually. Its been working really well for me. I've taken off 30 pounds in less than 3 months. Plus I never feel hungry and have the flexibility of figuring out something that will work when we go out to restaurants or other people's houses.

I do know people who've done nutrisystem where they bought pre-packaged meals and just had to add in veggies. Both people lost weight but said some of the food was inedible it was so nasty while other things were quite tasty. However they both quit after one month because they found it too boring.

Best wishes with whatever you choose! :wink:
  • jmmtaylor
    Options
    You can turn off the meal suggestions on SP...Some of them sound good though lol.

I normally just eat whatever I want to eat and make sure it is the right portion size so I can't really help you out there...
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    I like having the freedom to decide what I'm going to eat, especially on my days "off"! I just make sure to eat and buy healthy foods. Lots of vegetables, whole grain bread, lean protein. I rarely eat fast food so eating healthy is actually pretty easy. But if you aren't used to eating healthy and cooking for yourself, it can be more difficult. I would try to find some websites that have healthy recipes. Usually, the healthier it is, the easier it is to make. Cooking gets complicated only when you start needing to make fancy sauces and stuff like that. I like my vegetables lightly steamed, I really don't cook them too much. It may sound a little boring, but I like the taste of plain vegetables. So for the most part I just keep it simple. And as much as I love to cook, the more I can eat raw, the better!
  • melodyg
    melodyg Posts: 1,423 Member
    Options
    I do my own menu. Besides not having money for the other programs, I figure that learning to plan menus and cook healthy meals now will help this be more of a lifestyle change and not just a diet.

I eat more junk that I should... but here is a typical day when I am doing what I am supposed to! Oh, I usually eat between 1300-1500 calories a day.

Breakfast: eggs and toast (I either fry eggs in a bit of olive oil or scramble with cooking spray... I throw in whatever veggies I have if I am scrambling them or doing an omelet. Spinach is great -- so are mushrooms, peppers, onions, tomato. Throw a bit of cheese on top -- mozarella, lowfat cream cheese and sour cream are all good -- and you are good to go!) The amount varies -- at the most I eat 2 whole eggs, but usually I eat some combination of eggs and egg whites (the protein is in the white). Oatmeal is another good option but I got a little burned out on it. I also make French toast with whole wheat bread. one egg, a bit of cinnamon and nutmeg and a tiny sprinkle of powdered sugar (like a teaspoon for 2 pieces of toast, if that much) -- no syrup.

Lunch: I typically use leftovers from dinner for lunch... or a salad if I have lettuce and vegetables. Now that it is cooler I have been making a lot of soups for dinner and having tons of leftovers though.

Dinner: All over the board. You can check out menu plans at melodygreen dot wordpress dot com. I get a lot of recipes from allrecipes.com and eatingwell.com. I also get a lot of menu ideas from other bloggers and from people on here.

Basically, ideally I try to stick to some recommendations I heard at Weight Watchers a few years ago:
    1) At least 5 servings of fruit/vegetables (1 serving is 1/2 cup or 1 cup of leafy greens)
    2) 2-3 servings of lowfat dairy (for me that is usually skim milk or lowfat cheese)
    3) Healthy oils (mostly olive oil and avocado here)
    4) Whole wheat products (bread, pasta -- actually I use Ronzoni Smart Taste because no one else in my family likes ww pasta --, brown rice)
    5) Sweets in moderation (not that you can tell that from my diary lately!)

I usually modify recipes by decreasing or omitting salt (except in baking), decreasing oils (again, except in baking -- though I usually substitute unsweetened applesauce for oils there), and adding in extra vegetables where I can. I try to cook where I can instead of eating more processed foods. I look up nutritional information online before eating out. I drink mostly water, skim milk, and unsweetened tea or coffee (sometimes with a bit of Splenda).

I hope that helps a little!
  • tn2010
    tn2010 Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    If you like to cook, I suggest getting some cookbooks from safe, proven plans (South Beach, Weight Watchers, etc.). I've read enough about food to know the right kinds of foods, and now I'm comfortable preparing my own. I personally love South Beach, but it can be quite expensive to do it exactly as it's laid out. I own 3 SB and two WW cookbooks and really like them. I also really like anything by Cooking Light.
  • lutzsher
    lutzsher Posts: 1,153 Member
    Options
    I built my own menu. I actually do up a meal plan in Excel including all meals and snacks for every 2 weeks. We hang it on the side of the fridge so we can just "grab and go" as we plan and prepare things the day before for lunches, or take out the next nights meat so it is thawed, etc. I build my grocery list from this and we actually waste nothing now.
    The better you plan the better results you will see.

Weekdays breakfasts are typically cereal with berries, or weight watchers whole wheat bread with natural peanut butter and an apple or orange, or oatmeal with cinnamon and frozen blueberries.
    My lunches are usually a salad with chicken breast or shrimp for protein, my husband likes sandwiches with homemade sliced chicken breasts and light havarti.
    Our dinners are always a lean protein, steamed veggies, and brown rice or whole wheat couscous.

My husband prefers nuts, yogurt, fruit, and kashi bars for snacks, but I really like veggies, Im weird that way.

We have gone back to the basics, I even pulled out my breadmaker and have made some great whole wheat/multigran pizza dough and bread. I now think, did my grandmother eat this (?) before I make a choice.
  • poodlepaws
    poodlepaws Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    I think DIY is better for anybody due to the simple reason that going through something like Jenny Craig, Nutri-System you don't learn how to portion out your meals and helpings..
    I've lost MORE weight now doing it on my own than when I tried Nutri System. It all comes down to portion control!
  • grantarchy
    grantarchy Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    If you are having trouble creating a menu and feel like you need a change but don't really know where to start, then a planned menu will definitely help. It takes the guesswork out of things and you know exactly what you'll be eating. Once you get comfortable with the diet and do it for awhile, it becomes a lot easier to start deviating from the planned diet and start creating your own menu based on the general diet concepts that you learn. You might try a few different types of diets and see which ones you like because they are definitely not all created equal.

A few that I like are:

Body for Life -- this is one of the more simple ones and relatively inexpensive. I think this is a really good beginner menu plan. One of my friends (female) did it (both the diet and the workouts) and it was genuinely transformational for her. She is beyond busy and was not really a diet/exotic food person.
    Perricone -- this has awesome recipes but is heavy on fish (salmon in particular). Low-carb/low-glycemic. There is a 3 day diet you could try to see if you like it.
    P90x nutrition plan -- another pretty simple one and actually pretty tasty.

One con to doing a planned menu is that following them to the letter can be very expensive (Perricone falls into this category) because you end up buying too much food that doesn't get used because you're making new recipes all the time. I still think it's good to try some, especially if you are kind of new to planning menus. After a few months you start just "getting it" and will be able to plan your own menu on the fly without much thought. I can do Perricone in my sleep now.

All in all, it doesn't hurt to try one (or several) out. You might find you really like it and if you don't, well, then you can always go back to doing something that is easier for you to do.

Also, sometimes it's just kind of fun to try something new. I was reading about some diet called the primal blueprint that I am thinking of trying just because it sounded interesting.

Anyways, good luck!
  • FutureMrsEssman
    FutureMrsEssman Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for the suggestions. I tend to cook A LOT. I live with 3 roommates, two of them guys so I tend to make healthy meals for all of us because we are all trying to get in shape, except my boyfriend who brings home the most terrible things. I think the main issue I have is planning meals. It always seems that something comes along, or I'm too busy to eat at the time I need to. I like the pre-made snack solution because then when i'm on the run I can just grab it and go.

There wouldn't be a a site where I can build a menu and print it out is there? I don't have excel on this computer which makes it hard. Or maybe filling out my MFP food log before I eat it so it's there?
  • heathercrist1
    heathercrist1 Posts: 810 Member
    Options
    I've been at this weight loss journey (with LOTS of highs and lows) for about 10 years now so I know what is healthy eating and what is not. I've had the majority of my weight off for over 3 years now (been trying to lose those last 10ish pounds for that long too). I do love this book:

http://www.amazon.com/This-Youre-Thin-Forever-More/dp/044654860X

She has a really great eating plan that is pretty easy to follow. I have to eat and find that filling up on fiber filled food with lots of protein works best for me. You can check out my food diary for some ideas. :)

Oh...and tell that sweet, wonderful boyfriend of yours to kindly stop bringing home tempting food! I'm sure he wants to support you and believe me, will power is VERY overrated. Keep the bad stuff out of your grasp and you are less likely to have a "food moment".

Also, I always carry 16 almonds in a baggie in my purse. It is 100 cals worth of protein packed snack. So if I find myself stuck somewhere, I've got the almonds to fight off the hunger until I can make it home or somewhere I can eat healthy. I sometimes will even throw in an apple or banana if I know I might get stuck somewhere.
  • SaraEats
    Options
    The first and only time I ever went on a diet I tried South Beach, I bought the book, read it front to back and went to town. It was hard for me to follow at first because I had no concept about diet and nutrition, but with the advice in the book about things I'd never thought to pay attention to like GI, sugar and carb count, I was able to learn about the types of foods I should be eating. I went through all 3 phases, I lost a lot of weight. I stopped following SB because of it's use of processed foods. After learning about food and nutrition I realized that the healthiest thing for me was to eat foods that weren't processed including sugar like substances such as Splenda, plus I love butter and don't want to replace that with margarine. However, being on SB did change my palette, my body went through a detoxification of sugars and I no longer crave sugar the way I used to.
  • rjadams
    rjadams Posts: 4,060 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for the suggestions. I tend to cook A LOT. I live with 3 roommates, two of them guys so I tend to make healthy meals for all of us because we are all trying to get in shape, except my boyfriend who brings home the most terrible things. I think the main issue I have is planning meals. It always seems that something comes along, or I'm too busy to eat at the time I need to. I like the pre-made snack solution because then when i'm on the run I can just grab it and go.

There wouldn't be a a site where I can build a menu and print it out is there? I don't have excel on this computer which makes it hard. Or maybe filling out my MFP food log before I eat it so it's there?
    I sit down on Sunday night and plan out my menu for the whole week and log it all. that way I don't think about what to eat all week I just look on MFP and it tells me what to eat.