2»

Replies

• _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    I started at 280 pounds. Take it easy and it should be no problem
  • LGS1974
    Options
    If your back is already painful on the treadmill it's going to be much worse if you jog outside. I've had problems with my sacro-iliac and had prolapsed disc which I had surgery for. I'd say put more focus in strenghtening your core (pilates etc) which will help support your back and lose a bit more. Obviously it's a personal choice.

I wouldn't risk jeopardise progress by jogging. Perhaps you need another goal.
  • shred_me_up
    shred_me_up Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    Honestly, jogging hurts a lot of peoples knees (including mine) so I would be careful, how about swimming? super good on the joints :)
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Running puts tremendous stress on the joints.

One of the best for cardio is swimming, but that's not always a viable option.

Do the treadmill at a walking pace, if you want to up the workload just use the incline.
    Honestly, jogging hurts a lot of peoples knees (including mine) so I would be careful, how about swimming? super good on the joints :)

Serious misinformation alert........

Study after study have repeatedly demonstrated that running does not wreck your knees and/or hips.....

http://www.runnersworld.com/beginners/will-running-ruin-my-knees

http://www.mensfitness.com/training/endurance/fact-or-fiction-running-ruins-your-knees

there are risks associated with the morbidly obese and running, obviously, is contraindicated for those with chronic joint problems but it has been demonstrated to actually alleviate symptoms of early stage arthritis.

Many runners will experience some form of knee pain during their running careers most of the time, however, the pain does not relate to an actual knee injury but to muscular imbalances, IT band problems (overuse) etc.

To the OP, I started running in my early 50s at 235 lbs. Start slowly, build gradually and cross train (swim, bike, row, lift weights etc)
  • bobbijodmb
    bobbijodmb Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    You can do it. I started jogging when I was much heavier and will be doing a half marathon in April- there are lots of crazy thoughts about running but if you want to do it and you like it, then do it. I hated it at first and I still don't love it, I just hate it less =)

best of luck
  • l_clc
    l_clc Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I didn't read fully what others were saying so if this has been covered, I apologize! I'll share my experience with you. When I began my journey at 220lbs, I wanted to become a runner as well. My first month, I started jogging and doing the 30 day shred. After two weeks I was developing serious shin splints. I tried to heal myself through it for about 3 weeks with constant icing, stretches etc. Eventually I decided to take time off from running and exercises that put extra stress on that area and heal up properly. It's been 5 months since then and 3 weeks ago I began working out again and jogging. I have had no problems now that I am a much smaller person. I think it's great to exercise the whole way through...please don't think I'm condoning exercise in any way! But as far as jogging goes (I was a jogger most of my life), I never had problems until I was at my heaviest weight. It is hard on the joints, so there may be a bit more risk there. The exercise you're doing now sounds fantastic! My suggestion is to slowly add jogging in and as you get smaller it won't be as hard on your joints...that's my two cents! Good luck!
  • DeeDoy
    DeeDoy Posts: 45
    Options
    I sometimes have issues with my knees BUT I didn't have until I started doing more strength exercises (squats with weights etc) rather than give up either, I got some knee supports and I pop those on when my knees are a bit sore for running and always when I lift. They are quite comfortable and help me wonders, obviously consult your doctor but something like that might help not just with running but with strength training too :)
  • Rocky_ZG
    Rocky_ZG Posts: 70 Member
    Options

Study after study have repeatedly demonstrated that running does not wreck your knees and/or hips.....

http://www.mensfitness.com/training/endurance/fact-or-fiction-running-ruins-your-knees

there are risks associated with the morbidly obese and running, obviously, is contraindicated for those with chronic joint problems but it has been demonstrated to actually alleviate symptoms of early stage arthritis.

Many runners will experience some form of knee pain during their running careers most of the time, however, the pain does not relate to an actual knee injury but to muscular imbalances, IT band problems (overuse) etc.

To the OP, I started running in my early 50s at 235 lbs. Start slowly, build gradually and cross train (swim, bike, row, lift weights etc)

Most people don't know how to run properly.

Also if someone has 50-100+ extra pounds, then he/she is putting a lot more stress on joints with each step. Running with normal weight is not the same as running with extra weight. Majority overweight people will probably be ok with running, but for some of them it can lead to serious problems.

So... are you willing to guarantee that OP will avoid any danger to her health if she insists on running in this condition, and pay for possible treatments if she injures herself? Of course not.
    Worst thing is that OP knows that she should not run in this condition (I am guessing that her doctor said so due to her medical condition), but she is asking for the "blessing" from forum audience instead of getting one from medical expert.

People on this forum should be more careful when advising and encouraging others on potentially risky activities.

I am also fascinated how people are more likely to listen to the advice from anonymous forum source than from expert telling it to them in person.
    In my opinion, for their own safety and health all obese people should make detailed medical examination with ECG included, and get blessing from their doctors before jumping blindly into exercising. Maybe even postpone more demanding exercising until first shedding some weight with good nutrition.
  • jensiegel39
    jensiegel39 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    first thing your heart will get use to jogging quickly
    seconldly what is your bmi so we have an idea where you stand
    it is doable
    but yes for knees and legs it is a bit hurting
    if you are losing weight you dont need to start it right now.

I don't know what my BMI is. How do I find this out?
  • jensiegel39
    Options
    Thanks, everyone, for your advice. I did speak to my orthopedist, and he didn't say I couldn't run. He said do what's comfortable. He just wants me to lose weight and is proud that I have really lost so far and am listening to him. I think I'll try it again, but if it's too painful, I'll wait until I lose more.

To reiterate, I am working out every single day. I do an hour on the arc trainer, lift weights a half hour every other day, go to Zumba four nights a week and ride my bike for 6 - 10 miles several times a week. So, I really am getting stronger, especially in my legs. On the arc trainer, I've maxed out the resistance with the same heart beat, so that's great. I've really seen improvement even in my upper arm strength. It's nice to see physical improvement! It really motivates me.

I really appreciate everyone's input here. I don't want to injure myself, but maybe now that I've lost almost 17 lbs and have been working so hard at the gym and have better shoes, it'll be easier for me.

Everyone, have a wonderful day!
  • tannammm
    tannammm Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    With my doctor's okay, I started the C25K program at 280lbs. I highly recommend that program for a new runner just starting out. You will be amazed at how fast you can progress and build up your endurance. I completed that program on the treadmill and then once I got my courage up I started running outside. The treadmill is easier on my body, but so very boring! Good luck!
  • JONZ64
    JONZ64 Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    Talk to your doctor before beginning any new exercise program. That being said I see no reason why you cannot start a C25K program and slowly move up from there.

There are plenty of people much heavier than you who run long distances:

http://msn.foxsports.com/other/story/sumo-wrestler-breaks-world-record-for-heaviest-man-to-complete-marathon-032011

With C25K feel free to repeat workouts as many times as necessary. Walking is part of the program and nothing to feel bad about. Keep working and you will achieve your goals!

THIS! C25K is great and you can repeat sections until you work your way up. Also try to find a local running group. Here in VA we have Point2Point running and every saturday they meet, Runners/Walkers/Joggers of all levels meet up, pair up and motivate each other!
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    OP,

I started the C25k when I weighed over 260 pounds. I lost close to 30 pounds in those two months, and 'nary a joint problem!

ETA: For real, the C25k isn't a "running" program. Most folks who start on it trying to run have found they can't keep up with the program. It's about endurance, not speed. My first time through it, my "jog" was more like a brisk walk, but I went from getting exhausted from walking a single block to managing a slow jog for a full 30 minutes.
  • BenKnowsFitness
    BenKnowsFitness Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    Listen close to what the man below is saying. As for me, I have a family history of arthritis and I can tell you that everything hurts more when I am not running regularly. Oh, and I was getting close to 300 pounds when I started running. I got down to 185 pounds using running as my primary exercise.

Running puts tremendous stress on the joints.

One of the best for cardio is swimming, but that's not always a viable option.

Do the treadmill at a walking pace, if you want to up the workload just use the incline.

• SHHitsKaty
    Options
    I've never been all that heavy, 138 at my heaviest and I'm down to 120 now. I also have never been a runner, until probably 3 years ago. I decided doing races looked and sounded like fun and dove into it head first without any sort of training program. I wasn't wearing the proper shoes, as you stated originally, which caused me great pain and 8 weeks of physical therapy on my IT bands.

Once I got fitted for proper running shoes and had my trainer watch how I ran and try to tweak somethings, I wasn't having problems with my knees/IT bands but that is not to say that they still don't act up. I ran a 10k on Thanksgiving morning and my IT bands were bothering me at mile 3, only half into the race.

Proper stretching before and after running, getting fitted properly by a running store, etc. for running shoes, strengthening exercises triggered to those areas that do bother you also help. I did a lot of hip strengthening exercises when my IT bands were bothering me. Wall sits, monster walks (walking while squatting with a resistance band around your calves), etc.

A lot of people think that their knee is bothering them when they are running when in reality it is their IT bands. It connects from your hip down to the outside of the knee and for the longest time, I thought it was my knees till I realized that it was where my IT band was connecting to my knee.
  • ksntls63
    ksntls63 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I used to jog while counting to 100 then walk to the count of 100. When I felt I was ready I would up my jogging steps by 25 and lower my walking by 25. By counting it kept my mind off the actual running. Hope his helps
  • Sarahnade42x
    Sarahnade42x Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    I started C25K at about 215 pounds -- the jogging intervals weren't easy at that weight (a speed of about 4.0 was my 'jogging') but it was doable and played a big part in getting to my current weight and running ability. At the end of the day, I think the best thing you can do is listen to your own body; if you feel serious joint or back pain when you jog, then it might not be the best idea just yet. It sounds like you already have a really great workout plan anyways!
  • jensiegel39
    Options
    Thanks again everyone for your comments! I really appreciate all your input.