Raw eggs... safe or not?

Options
2»

Replies

• Mother_Superior
    Mother_Superior Posts: 1,624 Member
    Options
    Why yeah I reckon...and while yer at it, git yerself someothat salmon yella I been hearin so much about.

(But seriously though, if it's good enough for Rocky 1, it's good enough for me.)
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    Eggs are pateurized, which kills the possibly offending bacteria. I eat batter and stuff with raw eggs all the time. It might be a risk to make something three days ahead with raw eggs, so if you can do it a day ahead instead, it's probably a good idea. But either way, it's probably fine.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    I use Egg Beaters in my egg nog, because they are pasteurized. I don't know why you couldn't do the same with this recipe, but I'd try it beforehand.

Pretty much all eggs you buy in a grocery store in the US are pateurized.
  • SheFoxyLady
    Options
    Ah, I have to admit that all things like eggbeaters, meringue powder and such are more difficult to find in France... But I reckon that if I find some I will try it and consider the results it yields.

Yeah, that's why I've been insisting upon the age range - I have already briefly discussed the matter with the elder ones, and they seem to have experienced quite a fright (mind you, they actually did taste a consistent portion of the test version I made a couple of days ago and which sat for 3 consecutive days, with a lid, in the fridge. No food poisoning whatsoever.). I'll have to mention the possibility of using fresh farm eggs or pasteurized ones, as well as coddling.
    And truthfully, I seriously doubt the younger ones will appreciate it this much (but who knows!) - that's why I've decided to make some chocolate eclairs too :laugh:
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,017 Member
    Options
    Ah, I have to admit that all things like eggbeaters, meringue powder and such are more difficult to find in France... But I reckon that if I find some I will try it and consider the results it yields.

Yeah, that's why I've been insisting upon the age range - I have already briefly discussed the matter with the elder ones, and they seem to have experienced quite a fright (mind you, they actually did taste a consistent portion of the test version I made a couple of days ago and which sat for 3 consecutive days, with a lid, in the fridge. No food poisoning whatsoever.). I'll have to mention the possibility of using fresh farm eggs or pasteurized ones, as well as coddling.
    And truthfully, I seriously doubt the younger ones will appreciate it this much (but who knows!) - that's why I've decided to make some chocolate eclairs too :laugh:
    It's sacrilegious to use powdered eggs in France. lol Make sure you get eggs from Bresse, can't be beat and the chicken is simply marvelous.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    Let me just say, you're overthinking it. Will these same revered elders go to a nice restaurant and order a mousse? I guarantee you that any place worth a $12 dessert will be using fresh, raw eggs. Simply put, it's safe, and if handled properly, won't be an issue. Even after 3 days.

If you do have concerns though, add some brandy. That's a more than effective inhibitor, and a flavor enhancer to boot.

That said, there's a risk. Just like you risk death with just about most actions you do daily. Proper handling, and good materials will mitigate the risk to a more than acceptable amount. You'll be fine if you keep things fresh, high quality, and clean.
  • SheFoxyLady
    Options
    It's sacrilegious to use powdered eggs in France. lol Make sure you get eggs from Bresse, can't be beat and the chicken is simply marvelous.
    [/quote]

I know, I know :laugh: . I have to admit many of my friends already pull face when proposed powdered milk, so I doubt powdered eggs would undergo such success or popularity :tongue:
    I'll take a look then!
  • mrsgrimsdale
    Options
    All UK (battery/barn hens) are vaccinated against salmonella and listeria they are marked with a red lion to guarantee this, but are then sold in stores where they may be stored for 2-3 weeks!! I do not know American food safety standards but if you know the egg supply ie. a local farm, know they are fresh and can see the birds are kept in a clean(poo-free) environment they should be fine.
    I wouldn't fancy eating eggs that had been part heated and then left for 3 days though, even if they were the freshest eggs in the world and kept in a fridge after cooking.
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    its a risk, but unless you are giving it to children, elderly, or immunocompromised, I'd be OK with taking the risk. They make pasteurized eggs, but I find them very difficult to whip.

she said one of the guests is 72

OP I would inform your guests as to how this is made, and ask if anyone wants an alternative. Then it's their informed decision. Especially re the kids and elderly people. Personally, I don't mind taking risks with stuff like this, but I'd rather the decision was made by me, not on my behalf.

ETA: also, can't you get eggs that are laid by chickens who have been vaccinated against salmonella?
  • SheFoxyLady
    Options
    Let me just say, you're overthinking it. Will these same revered elders go to a nice restaurant and order a mousse? I guarantee you that any place worth a $12 dessert will be using fresh, raw eggs. Simply put, it's safe, and if handled properly, won't be an issue. Even after 3 days.

If you do have concerns though, add some brandy. That's a more than effective inhibitor, and a flavor enhancer to boot.

That said, there's a risk. Just like you risk death with just about most actions you do daily. Proper handling, and good materials will mitigate the risk to a more than acceptable amount. You'll be fine if you keep things fresh, high quality, and clean.

I have to be honest, you are more than probably right... And I can not argue against your comment about death - I usually am the one who does it (though it'd be quite a pity to die from salmonella infection - eventhough such poisoning remains, in my opinion, highly unlikely). I will let them voice their concerns when further discussing the matter though. Getting into an argument about a simple dish really isn't worth the hassle~
  • SheFoxyLady
    Options
    its a risk, but unless you are giving it to children, elderly, or immunocompromised, I'd be OK with taking the risk. They make pasteurized eggs, but I find them very difficult to whip.

she said one of the guests is 72

OP I would inform your guests as to how this is made, and ask if anyone wants an alternative. Then it's their informed decision. Especially re the kids and elderly people. Personally, I don't mind taking risks with stuff like this, but I'd rather the decision was made by me, not on my behalf.

ETA: also, can't you get eggs that are laid by chickens who have been vaccinated against salmonella?

Mhm, this is most definitely true. Said person of 72 is in excellent shape and health (for her age nevertheless) but I most definitely desire to risk her life... Nor the ones of others (despite being pretty sure myself of the way the recipe is handled)... I guess that I will let them decide. I know that they do not see anything against the recipe being realized the night before however.

And well, food labels aren't as precise in France (or at least in the area I live in) and I have to admit that I have not found such eggs for the moment... But that might be due to a lack of focus on my part :3
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I've had chocolate mousse with raw egg a lot in the past, I've never got sick from it. I don't think it's a huge risk but I guess you never know, you could be unlucky.
  • fourfiftythree
    fourfiftythree Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    I use raw egg whites in tiramisu, royal icing, eggnog etc. and have never had problems. Personally, I wouldn't use raw yolks. Just the thought of it kinda grosses me out.