Lower Cals, Lower Carbs, Both?

Options

Replies

• danimalkeys
    danimalkeys Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    What's been working for me is low carb and high fat. I've shed almost 30 lbs and my body looks so much better. PLUS I'm now in single digit sized pants!

all you did was create a calorie deficit by not eating carbs or low carb..

you could of achieved the same eating 25-30% carbs and eating in a calorie deficit..
    Actually, before keto, I was not losing anything for months and my measurements were not changing whatsoever. I was eating 1500 calories a day. I eat about the same amount now, sometimes more if I work out more, but I'm actually losing weight AND inches. So no, I could not have achieved the same thing.

so you can eat 4000 calories a day on Keto and still lose weight? Because what you are saying is that calories in vs calories out does not work ...

no. She's saying that eating the same calories on low carb vs normal carbs gave her results. I have experienced the same results. 2300-2400 calories a day with 200+ carbs- didn't lose anything- just the same 4 lbs over and over. Dropped to 50 carbs with the same caloric intake- the scale and tape measure started to move again, about 3-4lbs a month loss now. Logging is the same- whether it's totally accurate, or partially inaccurate, my logging methods have not changed. I try to be as accurate as possible but sometimes you can't be 100% on point every day, but overall, I'm doing the same due diligence with my logging now that I was before.

It just works for some people. I find it easy to eat this way, where some people can't do it.
  • leudey
    Options
    Actually, before keto, I was not losing anything for months and my measurements were not changing whatsoever. I was eating 1500 calories a day. I eat about the same amount now, sometimes more if I work out more, but I'm actually losing weight AND inches. So no, I could not have achieved the same thing.

Then there are mistakes in your logging.

Not really, but thanks for the assumption that I don't know how to log food. :grumble:

:smokin:

I don't think anyone here is trying to convince OP about the magical properties of keto and how it defies science, we're just giving anecdotal evidence of what works for us. We've encouraged them to do the same (find what works for them).

I know people seem to think ketoers are just making life hard for themselves but weight loss is so individualized that to say calories in vs calories out would have the EXACT same rate of loss is just naive. Aside from the way each body handles different macros there is a definite benefit in terms of satiety and more stable insulin levels, therefore more adherence = weight loss.

Calories definitely matter but anecdotely I've noticed that they seem to matter less to my results when I eat keto.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options

Also, as good as you think you are at estimating, you are probably way off. While when you are obese, you can get away with not measuring as much, it's much more critical to be precise as you get closer to your ideal weight/body fat %. I would highly recommend starting to weigh and measure foods again to ensure success.

And I understand with the holidays it's going to be tough and I am in the same boat, but just understand that after, I would highly recommend looking to replace carbs with protein.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/823505-research-on-protien-intake

Wow I read some of those threads and there is some good info in there. I agree with you now that I should start accurately tracking my intake. Right now I plan to maintain through the end of the year, and hit it hard early in January after the holidays. I am not obese but do need to lose my middle fat. I want to get much stronger, not 'bulk up' but definitely build up and tone so I want to gain LBM and lose fat.

I downloaded that pdf referenced in one of the threads I just chased and will be reading that the next few days. Thanks

Women can't get bulk.. And men can only get bulky with a ton of work and a lot of nutrition. Even when women gain muscle, they stay nice and lean. Look at the below link and concentrate on staci's first mass increase from 120 lbs to 130 lbs... she is significantly more lean at 130 than 120. This is why I always say composition > weight.

http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2011/07/21/meet-staci-your-new-powerlifting-super-hero/
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    What's been working for me is low carb and high fat. I've shed almost 30 lbs and my body looks so much better. PLUS I'm now in single digit sized pants!

you could of achieved the same eating 25-30% carbs and eating in a calorie deficit..

so you can eat 4000 calories a day on Keto and still lose weight? Because what you are saying is that calories in vs calories out does not work ...

no. She's saying that eating the same calories on low carb vs normal carbs gave her results. I have experienced the same results. 2300-2400 calories a day with 200+ carbs- didn't lose anything- just the same 4 lbs over and over. Dropped to 50 carbs with the same caloric intake- the scale and tape measure started to move again, about 3-4lbs a month loss now. Logging is the same- whether it's totally accurate, or partially inaccurate, my logging methods have not changed. I try to be as accurate as possible but sometimes you can't be 100% on point every day, but overall, I'm doing the same due diligence with my logging now that I was before.

It just works for some people. I find it easy to eat this way, where some people can't do it.

ohhh ok I get it now ..so you two just happen to defy the basic laws of math and thermodynamics with your keto diet.?

My guess is that you were not logging accurately ...

I don't see how eating 2400 cals a day of normal carbs and 2400 cals a day of low carb would make any difference in weight loss......
  • ndj1979
    Options

Did I say that? I don't think I did, so don't put words in my mouth. The way I was eating before didn't work, so I tried a new way and it does. And I feel much better eating this way. What is with the keto hate-on? Am I forcing you to eat my way? Don't think so.

you just said that you ate 1500 hundred and lost nothing, and then switched to 1500 on keto and lost weight...therefore, calories in vs calories out must not impact you ...
  • psuLemon
    Options

ohhh ok I get it now ..so you two just happen to defy the basic laws of math and thermodynamics with your keto diet..?

My guess is that you were not logging accurately ...

I don't see how eating 2400 cals a day of normal carbs and 2400 cals a day of low carb would make any difference in weight loss

There are a few areas where this could happen.. 1. as you noted, they have become more meticulous in their tracking, which can be a possibility, 2. they have a medical condition (insulin resistance or intolerance to a specific food) or 3. reducing carbs cause a reduction in binges which would affect the deficit overall. Without looking at a few months of day that would be tough to see.

I can tell you from personal experience, until my wife cut out gluten, she was gaining weight steadily but it turns out her heart condition comes with a gluten intolerance.
  • danimalkeys
    danimalkeys Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    so my logging miraculously got more accurate when I started lo carbing? hardly...

why is it a problem if a certain eating style works for some people and not for others?
  • ladymiseryali
    ladymiseryali Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options

Did I say that? I don't think I did, so don't put words in my mouth. The way I was eating before didn't work, so I tried a new way and it does. And I feel much better eating this way. What is with the keto hate-on? Am I forcing you to eat my way? Don't think so.

you just said that you ate 1500 hundred and lost nothing, and then switched to 1500 on keto and lost weight...therefore, calories in vs calories out must not impact you ...

OR maybe carbs effect me. Ever think of that? I was eating too many carbs and not enough fat pre-keto. I chalk it up to over consumption of carbs. Maybe I'm wrong, but all I know is that NOW I'm getting results and am 12 lbs from my goal weight. Also, I feel better eating this way. So go take your hate-on for keto elsewhere please.
  • EMTFreakGirl
    EMTFreakGirl Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    I do lower calories (it is all about the daily deficit) but I also do so much better if I limit my carbs. I've found that my sweet spot is between 70-85 grams/day. Sometimes I go a bit over but always stay below 100g/day. I also limit my fat, not so much my protein. My daily goals are in the 40/30/30 range. I also log every day, which I feel is important, tho' I will admit that I weigh/measure almost everything except my creamer for my coffee. I estimate on that one, sometimes I have an extra cup or have to use the creamer at the hospital instead of my own homemade coconut milk/creamer blend, or I pour a cup out because I got a call and never got to drink it. I figure throughout the week it averages out and hasn't seemed to have an adverse effect. :drinker:
  • ndj1979
    Options

OR maybe carbs effect me. Ever think of that? I was eating too many carbs and not enough fat pre-keto. I chalk it up to over consumption of carbs. Maybe I'm wrong, but all I know is that NOW I'm getting results and am 12 lbs from my goal weight. Also, I feel better eating this way. So go take your hate-on for keto elsewhere please.

I am not hating on Keto ..I am disputing the fact that if you eat 30% carbs at 1500 cals a day and this is a 500 calorie deficit that you will not lose weight BUT if you consume 1500 cals a day with the same 500 calorie deficit and all you is replace carbs with fat that you are going to somehow lose more weight...both methods are a 500 calorie deficit...does not matter how you create said deficit, jut as long as you do...
  • presbyreformed
    presbyreformed Posts: 36 Member
    Options

Also, as good as you think you are at estimating, you are probably way off. While when you are obese, you can get away with not measuring as much, it's much more critical to be precise as you get closer to your ideal weight/body fat %. I would highly recommend starting to weigh and measure foods again to ensure success.

And I understand with the holidays it's going to be tough and I am in the same boat, but just understand that after, I would highly recommend looking to replace carbs with protein.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/823505-research-on-protien-intake

Wow I read some of those threads and there is some good info in there. I agree with you now that I should start accurately tracking my intake. Right now I plan to maintain through the end of the year, and hit it hard early in January after the holidays. I am not obese but do need to lose my middle fat. I want to get much stronger, not 'bulk up' but definitely build up and tone so I want to gain LBM and lose fat.

I downloaded that pdf referenced in one of the threads I just chased and will be reading that the next few days. Thanks

Women can't get bulk.. And men can only get bulky with a ton of work and a lot of nutrition. Even when women gain muscle, they stay nice and lean. Look at the below link and concentrate on staci's first mass increase from 120 lbs to 130 lbs... she is significantly more lean at 130 than 120. This is why I always say composition > weight.

http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2011/07/21/meet-staci-your-new-powerlifting-super-hero/

BTW, I'm male (yes I know my picture doesn't help....) and yes I plan to do that ton of work and lot of nutrition. I liked that story about Staci, but it sounded a little like a sales pitch, although I didn't stick around to see.
  • pattyproulx
    pattyproulx Posts: 603 Member
    Options
    I am not hating on Keto ..I am disputing the fact that if you eat 30% carbs at 1500 cals a day and this is a 500 calorie deficit that you will not lose weight BUT if you consume 1500 cals a day with the same 500 calorie deficit and all you is replace carbs with fat that you are going to somehow lose more weight...both methods are a 500 calorie deficit...does not matter how you create said deficit, jut as long as you do...
    And you assume that what you eat does not impact caloric output whatsoever? I'm not saying it does, but research seems to indicate it might. Recent research has shown that you could be outputting up to 300 calories a day extra by eating a high-fat diet (2100 calories/week).

Don't get me wrong - I think/know caloric intake matters. What I'm not convinced of is that our bodies are so simple that it's the be-all end-all when it comes to calculating weight loss.

That's besides the point though. All nutritional studies have flaws - the human body is too complex - and you can only take what comes from them with a grain a salt.

What matters is that it has worked for many of us. We used to eat low-fat and tracked calories. Now we eat low-carb and track calories. It's clear to me which one I lose weight with more easily. We're sharing our experience.
  • ndj1979
    Options
    And you assume that what you eat does not impact caloric output whatsoever? I'm not saying it does, but research seems to indicate it might. Recent research has shown that you could be outputting up to 300 calories a day extra by eating a high-fat diet (2100 calories/week).

Don't get me wrong - I think/know caloric intake matters. What I'm not convinced of is that our bodies are so simple that it's the be-all end-all when it comes to calculating weight loss.

That's besides the point though. All nutritional studies have flaws - the human body is too complex - and you can only take what comes from them with a grain a salt.

What matters is that it has worked for many of us. We used to eat low-fat and tracked calories. Now we eat low-carb and track calories. It's clear to me which one I lose weight with more easily. We're sharing our experience.

I am disputing the fact that you can eat 1500 calories on a 500 cal deficit and lose nothing and then just simply change your macro composition and eat the same 1500 calories with the same 500 calorie deficit and then magically start losing weight...
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options

I am disputing the fact that you can eat 1500 calories on a 500 cal deficit and lose nothing and then just simply change your macro composition and eat the same 1500 calories with the same 500 calorie deficit and then magically start losing weight...

And others disagree. Not sure where this "debate" could go from here.
  • pattyproulx
    pattyproulx Posts: 603 Member
    Options

Ok - but, you're assuming the 2000 calorie output is consistent no matter what you eat, and that's what I'm disputing (or at least the main thing I was disputing in that post).

To be able to calculate a 500 calorie deficit, you need to know your exact caloric output, which is impossible for someone to measure day-to-day (yes there is technology that can help do that, but people don't have them handy at home).

Studies have shown that our bodies can burn an extra 300 calories by eating high-fat (I'm not stating this as a fact; this is simply a result of a study that could explain the variance in weight loss). This means that someone eating 1500 calories low-carb and someone eating 1500 calories of low-fat could have a deficit difference of 2100 calories / week, which is about 5lbs over a couple of months.

Again, that's just a possible explanation for weight loss being different at an identical caloric intake. There are a number of possible explanations for this (including, as some people have mentioned, faulty logging).

Either way, it works for many of us and there's nothing you can say that could make me think that it doesn't work for me because I've done it both ways and the difference was evident.
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    If that did happen, I would suggest it's because the body adjusted the 'calories out' side of the equation.

It doesn't impossible to me that by adjusting what you eat, the body may adjust how the body is working.
    An obvious one is stimulants - a bit of drug (caffeine, etc) and generally I would expect the body starts burning more.
    For other factors which don't have such a direct think, it doesn't seem unreasonable this may also happen.
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options

Ok - but, you're assuming the 2000 calorie output is consistent no matter what you eat, and that's what I'm disputing (or at least the main thing I was disputing in that post).

To be able to calculate a 500 calorie deficit, you need to know your exact caloric output, which is impossible for someone to measure day-to-day (yes there is technology that can help do that, but people don't have them handy at home).

Studies have shown that our bodies can burn an extra 300 calories by eating high-fat (I'm not stating this as a fact; this is simply a result of a study that could explain the variance in weight loss). This means that someone eating 1500 calories low-carb and someone eating 1500 calories of low-fat could have a deficit difference of 2100 calories / week, which is about 5lbs over a couple of months.

Again, that's just a possible explanation for weight loss being different at an identical caloric intake. There are a number of possible explanations for this (including, as some people have mentioned, faulty logging).

Either way, it works for many of us and there's nothing you can say that could make me think that it doesn't work for me because I've done it both ways and the difference was evident.

link to said peer reviewed studies please.
  • presbyreformed
    presbyreformed Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    If that did happen, I would suggest it's because the body adjusted the 'calories out' side of the equation.

It doesn't impossible to me that by adjusting what you eat, the body may adjust how the body is working.
    An obvious one is stimulants - a bit of drug (caffeine, etc) and generally I would expect the body starts burning more.
    For other factors which don't have such a direct think, it doesn't seem unreasonable this may also happen.

I agree with some others that there is absolutely no way anyone can say with final authority that any one prescription or theory is going to work with EVERY person.

Let's just assume this 1500/500 low carb high fat person is actually losing weight vs normal carb low fat and this is working for her, but not necessarily a prescription that works for everyone.

They don't have a cure for the common cold yet. What makes anyone think the exact prescription for every human being is always "all calories are all calories, lose 'em and you lose weight."
  • psuLemon
    Options

BTW, I'm male (yes I know my picture doesn't help....) and yes I plan to do that ton of work and lot of nutrition. I liked that story about Staci, but it sounded a little like a sales pitch, although I didn't stick around to see.

Ah crap.. Sorry about that.. regardless, even men will struggle to build mass unless they are in a calorie deficit. BTW, i ran the numbers again and it should be 2200 calories instead of 1800 calories based on the fact that you are male. With the story of staci, i tend to read past a lot of stuff. Major points are she eats 3000-4000 calories and power lifts.
  • Jewlz280
    Jewlz280 Posts: 547 Member
    Options

Just out of curiosity (because I don't have a dog in this fight), then what is the point of 'hitting your macros'? There seems to be a large group of people on here who constantly say they eat whatever they want, as long as it hits their macros. So, if macros aren't important, then what is the point? Because just like body shapes are different, calorie burns are different, and genetics are different, wouldn't it stand to reason that macro needs for each person could be different? And why would that be bad? I know lots of folks who do different things and do what works for them, can't it be the same with this? They are not saying they aren't following the 'rules' of calories in vs. calories out, just the lay of the macros. So, I'm confused by why this couldn't be true? If body builders want to really bulk up, they change their macros to up protein with overall calorie intake being up. Couldn't it be the same for someone wanting to lose to up their protein but with overall lower calorie intake? Because if you need to up it to build muscle, seems to be true that you would need to up it when losing if you already have a lower amount of muscle.... I'm not arguing either way. I truly don't know and just at this point feel like you should do what works for you, your life, and your body and let others figure out their own macro sets.