Cardio Then Weights?

Options
2»

Replies

• karllundy
    karllundy Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    Weights first, as a safety issue. Cardio first can lead to fatigue, which leads to poor form during weight lifting, which leads to injury.

Yep, this!
  • Mommybug2
    Mommybug2 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I was once told by a trainer to do a light 15 minute Cardio warm up, then 20/30 minutes of weights, then 30 minutes Cardio. On Cardio only days it was 15 minute Cardio warm up then 45 minutes of Cardio. However I do 30-45 minutes of Cardio then go hit the weights. Mostly just because that is the way I like to do it.

I read that if you do Cardio first then your metabolism stays reved up while you are doing weights (although I see someone posted it was the opposite so who knows). There are too many contradictions about the right/wrong way to do things and really it only matters if it works for you and if you will stick with it. What I do works for ME - I have been doing it for almost a year and have lost 70 lbs and my muscles are much more defined then before so no one can say I'm doing it "wrong" LOL.
  • LVCeltGirl
    Options
    I was always told to do 10 to 15 minutes of cardio before weights. It warms the body up, loosens the muscles up for lifting, stretches them out more than the pre-workout stretching. That has been 3 or 4 personal trainers over the past 10 to 12 years. I always get my 45 minutes to 1 hour of cardio in before weights but I think that is just personal preference since 10 to 15 is all that's needed for warm-up.
  • ElliottTN
    ElliottTN Posts: 1,614 Member
    Options
    Weights always ALWAYS first regardless. Especially important if you run intense cardio.

Even if you are just a tiny bit fatigued by the cardio then your weights will suffer. The whole point of weights is to put enough stress on the muscles to cause adaptive change. If you are even just a tiny bit fatigued you will have the cards stacked against you in terms of causing that high level of stress in your workout for those muscles to grow.

Sure, it might be hard to lift a lower weight when you are not at 100% and you will still benefit from it as opposed to not lifting that lower weight but it is just not an efficient way to spend your time for results. You would benefit vastly more from hitting the weight when you are at 100% rather than 80%. You will just have more energy to put more stress on that muscle to trigger the adaptation (which is already a slow progress)

On the other hand with cardio, it is mostly aerobic. You can hit up cardio when you are still at 80% and have a really REALLY effective workout.

If your doing something such as HIIT, than definitely hit that directly after weights for the most benefit. If you are training more for just heart health, cal burn, distance or such as a runner than you best bet would be to space out the days and if training days overlap than hit your weights in the morning, feed yourself during the day and then hit your cardio at night.

I currently have two days a week where my weight training and cardio share a day and I found this to be the most effective way to navigate it after hours upon hours of research, talking to peeps I look up to and experimentation.

Just my 2 cents
  • Razz_Baby
    Razz_Baby Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Thanks, folks!
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Which is the best way? Cardio then weights or the other way around? I have always done cardio first but I think I read somewhere that weights first is better.

What is the general census? Does it matter?
    I do cardio first because I don't like it as much and because lifting is the less intense activity. So if I lift first, I'll mentally be less inclined to put up with running because I 'did a workout already.' But it's just a matter of preference.

I think the stigma against doing both on the same day is hogwash. I have lifted without doing cardio first and was able to do the same progress as if I ran first with the difference being that I didn't even break a sweat. On top of that a 'compromise in workout', which won't happen once your body adjusts, is better than no workout. Deciding to forfeit an exercise for another is already compromising your fitness.
    If lifting is less intense than cardio, then you're doing both of them wrong.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    I do them on opposing days except for my Saturday gym session...on Saturday I spend a full two hours in the gym (to make optimal use of the drop in child care) so I'll lift first and then do the stair stepper or something for an hour to get an extra calorie burn (for the beers I will be having later)...and then I just sorta stretch and walk around and talk to friends, etc to burn another 1/2 hour before I'm forced to go pick up my kids.

My primary focus is the weight room and I do cardio primarily for cardiovascular benefits and to be able to drink all the beers...plus I enjoy riding my bike...but really, my greatest effort goes into my lifting so it always comes first and I have to skip anything, I skip the cardio.
  • pavrg
    pavrg Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    Which is the best way? Cardio then weights or the other way around? I have always done cardio first but I think I read somewhere that weights first is better.

What is the general census? Does it matter?
    I do cardio first because I don't like it as much and because lifting is the less intense activity. So if I lift first, I'll mentally be less inclined to put up with running because I 'did a workout already.' But it's just a matter of preference.

I think the stigma against doing both on the same day is hogwash. I have lifted without doing cardio first and was able to do the same progress as if I ran first with the difference being that I didn't even break a sweat. On top of that a 'compromise in workout', which won't happen once your body adjusts, is better than no workout. Deciding to forfeit an exercise for another is already compromising your fitness.
    If lifting is less intense than cardio, then you're doing both of them wrong.
    Whatever you gotta say to validate your poor fitness.

Almost every proven weight lifting routine has you lift something between 1-10x and then put it down for 2-5 min. You spend about 25% of your time strength training actually doing work. It's not intense for someone who has good cardiovascular fitness no matter how much you lift. That is unless you superset, but if you're concerned about cardio causing undue fatigue and negativily impacting strengtg performance, then supersets are off the table for the same reason.

Compare this to maintaining 185+ bpm by running for 20-30 min as fast as you can. Maybe you trot along for your cardio or convince yourself that you're doing HIIT the moment you get short of breath and quit, but I don't.

The energy expended running far exceeds the energy expended lifting. And if you get in shape, a 5 min rest between the run and lifts will recover you to 100%.

But hey, I only put all my lifts into "advanced" territory according to strstd. com and I run a 5k in the top 20%ile for my age group. And I did it in just 5 mo, but I'm clearly the one doing it wrong.