Pomegranate molasses substitute blackstrap or regular one?

Options
So I found this gingerbread latte recipe I'm craving to devour next morning, but the only molasses I have is a pomegranate one (I live in the east, it's common house hold). I'm wondering if its the same thing? The molasses in this recipe is apparently what gives the gingerbready taste, so will pomegranate destroy that?
The recipe's link: http://chocolatecoveredkatie.com/2011/11/29/homemade-gingerbread-spice-latte/
Thank you :)

Replies

• ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    what is pomegranate molasses? Is it like a pomegranate syrup? Molasses is it's own animal, very uniquely flavored with some great nutritional properties.

You could try it...
  • YasFitoBit
    YasFitoBit Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    what is pomegranate molasses? Is it like a pomegranate syrup? Molasses is it's own animal, very uniquely flavored with some great nutritional properties.

You could try it...

Pomegranate molasses is its condensed syrup, basically its syrup being boiled to point of thickness. Its just as dark as molasses, and is quite sweet, that's why it has me confused.
  • mariposa224
    mariposa224 Posts: 1,269 Member
    Options
    Blackstrap molasses, or simply blackstrap, is the dark, viscous molasses remaining after maximum extraction of sugar from raw sugar cane. I would think that pomegranate molasses would retain a flavor of the fruit, but I could be wrong. If it TASTES similar to blackstrap, you would probably be fine, but if it doesn't, you aren't going to get the flavor you're looking for.
  • YasFitoBit
    Options
    Blackstrap molasses, or simply blackstrap, is the dark, viscous molasses remaining after maximum extraction of sugar from raw sugar cane. I would think that pomegranate molasses would retain a flavor of the fruit, but I could be wrong. If it TASTES similar to blackstrap, you would probably be fine, but if it doesn't, you aren't going to get the flavor you're looking for.

I've never tasted molasses, practically didn't even know it existed until now. I guess I'll just give it a shot and see what I end up with.
  • GingerLolita
    GingerLolita Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    I don't think pomegranate and gingerbread would taste too good together, but you could try if you think it sounds appealing. If not, blackstrap molasses is a good choice because its full of iron. :)
  • endoftheside
    endoftheside Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    Looking at the recipe, I am guessing that the pomegranate molasses would taste fine in it, but the end result won't quite be like gingerbread. The cinnamon and ginger will give it some of the right notes but overall it's going to be its own special concoction. :smile:
  • YasFitoBit
    Options
    To conclude this, I tried it with pomegranate molasses (just a tsp), and it was good! I think for it to taste better would be to add more, but its 55 kcals per tbsp!
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    If you make it again, black treacle is a good substitute, if that is available where you are.
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options
    Pomegranate is considerably more acidic than normal molasses. If you make it again and can't get black strap molasses, I would substitute with maple syrup, corn syrup or even honey.