2»

Replies

• happysherri
    happysherri Posts: 1,360 Member
    Options
    My favorite is Volleyball. I also like Plyometrics
  • Shreddingit84
    Options
    Dancing!! Latin and house get that body shaping up..
  • BenjaminMFP88
    BenjaminMFP88 Posts: 660 Member
    Options
    Well HIIT has been proposed to increase net caloric expendature of aproximately 15%, so if you're really want the best, then I'm guessing the various forms of HIIT cardio would be the best. However, as another previously said, the best form is the one you are willing to actually do.
  • jim9097
    jim9097 Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    Depends on your intended results. Aerobic, anarobic??? I do some muay thai every now and again and both are important. If you are only slightly active maybe you don't care about creating ATP efficiently enough to operate without O2 for 30-60 seconds. So depends what you are trying to do.
    ::huh:

I would consider myself pretty active and even then I don't care about creating ATP efficiently enough to operate without O2 for 30-60 secs. Even worse, I don't even know what the heck ATP is!

All has to do with cellular respiration. I don't feel like playing science nerd today. So google it if you are interested.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    I enjoy riding my bike and swimming....other than that...meh...whatever you feel like doing and enjoy. If you're worried about "burn" and just losing weight then you need to understand that creating a calorie deficit is most efficiently accomplished through diet. Exercise is for fitness and overall health and well being....diet is for weight control.
  • micheleb15
    micheleb15 Posts: 1,418 Member
    Options
    Depends on your intended results. Aerobic, anarobic??? I do some muay thai every now and again and both are important. If you are only slightly active maybe you don't care about creating ATP efficiently enough to operate without O2 for 30-60 seconds. So depends what you are trying to do.
    ::huh:

I would consider myself pretty active and even then I don't care about creating ATP efficiently enough to operate without O2 for 30-60 secs. Even worse, I don't even know what the heck ATP is!

All has to do with cellular respiration. I don't feel like playing science nerd today. So google it if you are interested.

I probably need the picture version with bright colors and shiny objects to understand it since I am not a science nerd.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    Agreed, the best cardio is the one you enjoy and will stick with (and not necessarily just one type of cardio, there could be 2 or 3 that you like). I personally can't do the same thing every day because I get bored really quickly. I love to walk outside but that's getting tough this time of year so I do hills or running intervals on the treadmill or use the stairmill or elliptical or stationary bike. I get my best calorie burns on the elliptical at high resistance (they're all different but on our Precor, that's level 12-15) or on the stairmill (level 7 or 8).

Here's the bottom line, as long as you're enjoying it and getting results, it doesn't matter what anyone else thinks.
  • Blahjaz
    Blahjaz Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I forgot to add that I follow an interval program during my elliptical workout! I used to try doing one long steady workout, but I found a nice variety filled one on pinterest so that's what I do now. Looks like I will be sticking with it!
  • Blahjaz
    Options
    3 pounds lost! Before, when I was just doing one long steady workout on it, I wasn't really seeing anything, but now that I'v been doing intervals for the last week (when I started using MFP) I've seen better results. I was aiming for just 2 pounds, and that's what I've always been told is healthy, but after browsing the forum for a while I'm not worried about losing more than that per week.
  • Blahjaz
    Options
    That's another thing that surprised me. I only started tracking my calories a week ago, but I haven't really changed my diet much, its pretty much the same it has been for the past 3 months. I always assumed I was way overeating, but according to mfp I'm doing pretty good in regards to my diet. Only with the interval exercise on the elliptical has there come any results! I stayed the same weight while exercising moderately before MFP, now I'm starting to get lighter.
  • CloudDogS
    Options
    Congrats sticking with it!
    If you get bored do other cardio... Intervals are great !
  • Matiara
    Matiara Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    I agree with those above in that it's what you will stick to, which applies to all types of workouts. I do workouts that I enjoy and will help me reach my goals.

Personally, machine cardio seems endless to me. Even half an hour on the treadmill or elliptical with good music in my ears and a TV screen in front of me feels like an eternity. I enjoy cardio where I have to move around like "kickboxing" type workouts, floor aerobics, and step aerobics. Basically anything that keeps my mind engaged so I'm not thinking about the time. I'm considering trying Zumba in the coming year.
  • jackleebennett
    Options
    For me I feel like I've done something with the Elliptical. However I also use the Treadmill and stationary bike and three 25 minutes of weight training
  • staciedee10
    staciedee10 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I have bad knees (ACL tear on one & ACL/MCL tear on the other) from sports therefore, the treadmill & running are out of the question for me. I begin on the elliptical (HIIT) high intensity, then lower it, then I practically run on the elliptical always having a slow start & slow ending. Then comes the weights, finished with cycling (another good one for my knees) followed by a cool down on the treadmill. It does get boring sometimes so I switch it up. Find what works for YOU! :smile:
  • fannyfrost
    fannyfrost Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    Best Cardio workout is the one that you will actually DO! if its a chore, then its not the best