Dropping Clothing Sizes

Options
Just wondering at what point, either in pounds or inches, you start being able to actually fit into smaller clothes.. I have lost just a little more than 12 lbs and about 1 to 1 1/12" on my waist and thighs each and my clothes are annoyingly loose enough that they are slipping down, but the next size down is still not fitting..

Replies

• bekahlou75
    bekahlou75 Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    It's different for me depending on the brand. I have two pairs of navy pants, both size 6, different brand. One is loose and the other is really tight. Today I'm wearing a pair of size 4 black pants. You can probably wear a smaller size; it just depends on what you get. Go shopping. Get your regular size and the size smaller. If they're a bit snug they can be goal pants!!!!
  • 86myHeadache
    86myHeadache Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    What bekahlou75 said is do true. Currently i am wearing three different sized with one i am holding onto to save money.
  • nancybuss
    nancybuss Posts: 1,461 Member
    Options
    I agree. Sizes are all over depending on brands. As far as weight loss I would think an inch plus would be a different size. Maybe your current ones were stretched out though?

I've been hitting up 2nd hand stores. Its my hobby these days to see what I can find until I feel like I'm at "Final size" i'm not spending a lot on pants and have to do it all over again.
  • mamma_nee
    mamma_nee Posts: 809 Member
    Options
    well being that my waist loses weight last I usually have to lose 20 lbs to get into the next size but as I get closer to goal its then only 15 lbs to the next size and then only 10lbs for the next size.
  • sammniamii
    sammniamii Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    every brand has there own sizing, plus if you are in a different country, add that to the mix as well. Plus, if something is made to be stretchy, the non version is gonna be smaller. Fabric, cut, everything changes and I swear they do it to mess with people.

thrift stores are my best friend, although 3/4'ers of my clothes now are from Old Navy
  • AprilLizbethWire
    AprilLizbethWire Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I have lost 17 pounds and I noticed when shopping that instead of buying more medium to large sizes I'm buying more small to medium sizes. It's not really a "I was size 10 but now I'm size 8" type thing - because all clothing companies size things differently. It's more like "I was buying this range of sizes but now that range has shifted to a lower set of sizes."

Recently I tried on a pencil skirt at Target that I had bought in a bigger size back in June. As far as realizing you're definitely in a smaller size - it doesn't get much clearer than that. I bought the same exact skirt I already owned but in a size 6 instead of size 10. So maybe you can try to do/find something like that to use as comparison?
  • sevsmom
    sevsmom Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    I was in a size 12. I finally got sick of how big my pants were as I didn't have to unbutton or unzip them to get them off any more. So I went to the store and bought all new pants.....in size 6. So, you can see I was a total cheapskate and didn't part with any cash until i was WAY smaller than when I started.
  • DesDawn24
    DesDawn24 Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    every brand has there own sizing, plus if you are in a different country, add that to the mix as well. Plus, if something is made to be stretchy, the non version is gonna be smaller. Fabric, cut, everything changes and I swear they do it to mess with people.

thrift stores are my best friend, although 3/4'ers of my clothes now are from Old Navy

This is SO true. I have three pairs of jeans (from Old Navy), all with the same size on the label. One is loose, one just now is starting to fit and the third will probably fit about 10 pounds from now. Fabric and cut are the biggest culprits!
  • Fridaklo77
    Options
    So true, I have sizes from 10-14 - I am working towards the lower #'s 6-8. Iwould be happy...
    I guess wiht time... it will happen
  • MrsRobertson1005
    MrsRobertson1005 Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    I think it also depends on how your clothes fit when you started out. A lot of us start out in clothes a size smaller than they should have been. Sounds like you are doing a great job! hang in there!!
  • musicboxes
    musicboxes Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I have read that for every 10 lbs lost, it's 1 size down. I can say that has been true for me, but I seem to loose inches easier than lbs.
  • smokeytex74
    Options
    Wow.. didn't really think of it in terms of material, cut, and manufacture.. but that makes sense.. Thank you all for the information :smile: