No or Low Calorie foods?

Options

Replies

• hep26000
    hep26000 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    For a low cal snack to curb a sweet tooth I would recommend a popsicle, lollipop or a no sugar fudgesicle. Or you can ever freeze a yogurt tube and have that. 100 calorie snack packs are great too because it is easy to not over indulge if you limit yourself to just one. Otherwise everyone else had great recomendations.

BTW- My sister was really heavy in between middle school and high school, during one summer she decided not to eat out of boredom and when she would get hungry, she would go for a walk with the dog to keep her mind off it. If she was still hungry 30 minutes later, she would eat a healthy snack.

I try to do that by just trying to get my mind off of eating out of boredom. Find a project at work, go for a walk around the block, clean your kitchen or do some laundry. Put on some music and dance.

Only eat when you are hungry...especially if you do not have healthy snacks.
  • twistedbutterfly
    twistedbutterfly Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Celery without dip makes a pretty good nearly-non calorie snack. Pickles are really good too and I've used them many a time when I really needed somthing to eat but was short on calories left.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    There are no such things as NO Calorie foods - maybe ice would qualify.

Low calorie - veggies, sugar free jello, pickles
  • notsuchaskinnybitch
    Options
    Blueberries, 10 almonds (70 calories), carrots, gherkins, cucumber
  • jkwolly
    jkwolly Posts: 3,049 Member
    Options
    Ice has no calories. Can always chew on ice.

HAHAH! So refreshing!
  • twinketta
    twinketta Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    I am a big snack person and new to myfitnesspal and I am looking for foods that are low in calories or have no calories. Any Suggestions?

Jess

Hi Jess welcome to MFP and wanting to make a change in your life x

There are lots of low calorie foods I doubt there is anything with zero cals except water and some jelly type of stuff, which really is not going to satiate your snacking.

I don`t know how many calories you have been allocated by MFP but maybe, if you really prefer to snack, then split all those cals into lots of smaller snacks/meals?

Remember that anything that is high in proteins will make you feel fuller for longer (meats/fish/nuts/eggs/cheese) but they all have to be in moderation.

Fruit and veggies are low in calories but high in carbohydrates, so they will make you feel full short term.

Processed foods such as biscuits/bread/cakes will serve no real purpose.

Your biggest friend is your diary...try to plan it well...if you can add some exercise then you will get to add more to your food diary.

Good luck xx
  • lynnbatson
    Options
    Pickles!!! Some varieties (usually the ones that say no sugar added) are 0 calories per serving, most are between 5 and 15.

Pickles are great but just a friendly reminder, they have a high sodium count.
  • Mangopickle
    Mangopickle Posts: 1,509 Member
    Options
    slice celery diagonally and poach it in chicken broth with some onion. whole tomatoes and cukes, diced and tossed with a tbsp. of ranch or Italian dressing. thick sweet onion slices roasted with tad Italian dressing. roasted okra with tad oil and sea salt. roasted bell peppers
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    air popped popcorn is low cal & high fiber

sugar free popsicles

When you're new & just starting out its helpful to keep a few things on hand. As you get better practice with timing of meals & snacks you can cut back on some of the "diet" items and use real food in it's place.

I be sure to add exercise so I can have a snack here & there
  • soul_nourish
    Options
    Not sure you will get much from those kind of snacks, why not work in healthy snacks like a handful of mixed nuts (not peanuts) in the morning and a handful of berries in the afternoon, they taste great and give you great fats and nutrients respectively.

I have found most things low or no fat to be loaded with processed sugar and really disappointing. Then I'd hunt for more sugar thirty minutes later. I have changed my snacking and still lost significant weight with the new choices. Why not give it a try and see if it works for you?

For the inevitable arguers:
    The above is purely based on my personal experience and I am not making any broad claims, also I don't have any peer reviewed documents to back it up as I didn't write a journal whilst trying it out on myself. I'm just suggesting the OP tries it out because it worked for me. If I have used any generalisation it's because I can't speak for the whole planet and I don't know everything.

What you say is spot on! We have fallen into the low calorie low fat trap but this does not assist in sustainable weight loss; paradoxically it is more likely to assist in weight gain! Snacks with healthy fats and low in sugar are more important if you want to lose weight. Find out more in my blog: http://soul-nourishment.com/will-fat-make-me-fat/
  • jesssargent2
    jesssargent2 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I am a big snack person and new to myfitnesspal and I am looking for foods that are low in calories or have no calories. Any Suggestions?

Jess

Hi Jess welcome to MFP and wanting to make a change in your life x

There are lots of low calorie foods I doubt there is anything with zero cals except water and some jelly type of stuff, which really is not going to satiate your snacking.

I don`t know how many calories you have been allocated by MFP but maybe, if you really prefer to snack, then split all those cals into lots of smaller snacks/meals?

Remember that anything that is high in proteins will make you feel fuller for longer (meats/fish/nuts/eggs/cheese) but they all have to be in moderation.

Fruit and veggies are low in calories but high in carbohydrates, so they will make you feel full short term.

Processed foods such as biscuits/bread/cakes will serve no real purpose.

Your biggest friend is your diary...try to plan it well...if you can add some exercise then you will get to add more to your food diary.

Good luck xx

Thanks this made the most sense to me. I am sorry I didn't know there weren't food without calories. I feel kinda stupid not knowing that but I thought some foods didn't. Anyways thanks for your feedback.
  • shred_me_up
    shred_me_up Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    meh id go for filling and nutritional, try a handful of almonds, 15 almonds has about 100 cals and is quite good for keeping you full!
  • jesssargent2
    jesssargent2 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Not sure you will get much from those kind of snacks, why not work in healthy snacks like a handful of mixed nuts (not peanuts) in the morning and a handful of berries in the afternoon, they taste great and give you great fats and nutrients respectively.

I have found most things low or no fat to be loaded with processed sugar and really disappointing. Then I'd hunt for more sugar thirty minutes later. I have changed my snacking and still lost significant weight with the new choices. Why not give it a try and see if it works for you?

The above is purely based on my personal experience and I am not making any broad claims, also I don't have any peer reviewed documents to back it up as I didn't write a journal whilst trying it out on myself. I'm just suggesting the OP tries it out because it worked for me. If I have used any generalisation it's because I can't speak for the whole planet and I don't know everything.

What you said makes sense to me also. I love nuts and fruit. Thank you for your advice and your right. It is a lot better then telling me ice is the only result. *rolls eyes*

Jess
  • sdbeachbum
    sdbeachbum Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    veggies/ hummus, hard boiled egg whites/hummus

PB2 if you love peanut butter like me :) only 45 cal's in 2 tblsp and no artificial crap

I'm a big snacker too, I try to keep it to fruit/veggies/nuts << not low cal but good for you
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    Food without any calories isn't really food...

...is it?
  • wheird
    wheird Posts: 7,963 Member
    Options
    Food without any calories isn't really food...

...is it?

I believe to be considered "food", it has to contain energy.
  • skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,323 Member
    Options
    lots and lots of grilled chicken breast.
  • gale1089
    Options
    I like the pre packaged steamable vegetables by Pictsweet (in the freezer section)
    Edamame-110 cals Tuscan Vegetables-80 cals.

Hard boiled egg whites - 17 cals each
    Apple ~100 cals
    String Cheese ~50 cals
    Turkey Slices - 5 slices - 70 cals
    Chocolate Fiber One cereal - 80 cals
    Weight Watchers Fudge Bars - 45 cals
    Vitatop Muffins - 100 cals
    Coffee w/ creamer - 35 cals
    Jello - 70 cals
  • AprilLizbethWire
    AprilLizbethWire Posts: 38 Member
    Options

Oh my goodness. I'm gong to copy your last paragraph, save it, and add it to the bottom of every single one of my posts.
  • TheRealParisLove
    TheRealParisLove Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    * Fresh cut veggies w/ nonfat yogurt as a dip. Salsa is good dip for veggies, too.
    * Air popped popcorn
    * Sugar free jello
    * Hot cup of miso soup
    * Light string cheese
    * No sugar added fudgecicles.
    * Homemade vegetable soup
    * Most clear broth soups are low calorie
    * Hard boiled egg (only 70 calories for a large egg)
    * Water packed tuna mixed with sriracha served on cucumber slices
    * Shrimp cocktail

My favorite is Pumpkin Pie Protein Shake:
    1/2 cup pumpkin puree
    1 scoop vanilla protein powder
    1 cup coconut milk (or almond or nonfat cow's milk)
    dash of cinnamon
    dash of nutmeg
    1 tsp chopped ginger
    1/4 tsp of vanilla extract
    Ice cubes to taste.