i want to quit!!!

Options

Replies

• jenifr818
    jenifr818 Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    i would like to thank everyone for their comments. some more criticizing than others but still thank you. its been food for thought.

i would also like to add that im not stupid and i know there is no end date. so please stop telling me that. i am also aware that it dosent happen overnight and that a food scale and a heart rate monitor would help wonders. the last two things require money and i dont have it so im working with what i have. what i was and still am discouraged about is that it isnt easier and its becoming a burden. i deal with the same things as everyone else and its harder for me than most. no im not making it harder. it just is. i was venting and asking for what a lot of you gave. support. positive comments. not to be judged and given advice that i already knew (not that any of you can read minds but still. its basics. im not going into this blind) its just HARD! its hard and it shouldnt be and that sucks. im not being difficult to please, im not looking for a miracle answer. i appreciate all of you taking time to comment here. thank you.

I totally understand how it can feel like a burden, but I look at it as much less of a burden than being 60 lbs overweight (75 at my highest weight) and hating the way I looked. It is DEFINITELY less of a burden than the type 2 diabetes and high cholesterol that I was running towards at a breakneck pace (thank you, genetics). You have to pick your burden, is what I'm trying to say.

No one ever said it wouldn't be hard at times. If they did, they lied. Weight loss is simple. Calories in must be < calories out. However, simple doesn't always mean easy. Our bodies are fickle. I can easily show a gain of 5 lbs come my monthly time. It goes away afterwards, though. Eat too much salt one day? Again, up 5 lbs for about 3 days after. Don't let the number on the scale eat at you. Yes, it's nice to be at a "healthy" BMI. However, until you get there, focus on the non-scale victories. Are you more flexible today than yesterday? Do you have more energy? Are your pants fitting a little better? How about your shirts? Are measurements going down? Is your bloodwork and blood pressure improving?

I have also found that sometimes, I just need to say "forget it" and walk away from logging for a day or two. I'm not saying go hog wild and eat ALL THE FOODZ in the house, because that's just self-defeating. However, one or two days away from logging will not destroy you. One or two days can save your mental sanity sometimes. Allow yourself some treats. Eat a piece of cake (barring a medical condition). Eat some chocolate. Skip an exercise day and watch a movie. Come back in a couple days and continue on.

Even if this doesn't help today, hopefully it'll help you once you're not as frustrated. Good luck OP :flowerforyou:
  • minniemanion83
    minniemanion83 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Cry and scream if you need to, but do not quit. You got this. You are on week 3. Want to know how far I got on 30 Day Shred? ONE DAY. One day and I took a lot of breaks and overly modified the moves. You are much better at this than me. I think that you are toning up and possibly gaining muscle. Keep at it, you are doing great. They say it takes up to 4 months to see weight loss results.
  • ZoeLeighJackson
    Options
    what kind of miraculous change were you expecting over a 3 week period of time? Fitness is a lifetime endeavor...you don't get a fitness body in 3 weeks or 3 months...it takes a lifetime of dedication.

Your diet has far more to do with your weight loss than exercise...trying to create a deficit of energy with exercise is not really that efficient...it's much more efficient to do that with your diet...and it takes time. It took me the better part of 10 years to pile on 40 excess Lbs...it took me about a year to lose them and do some maintenance...when you look at it that way, yeah it's slow...but not nearly as slow as it took to put on.

You didn't put it on overnight and it's not coming off overnight. Wrap your brain around the fact that there is no finish line...if you look at this as, "i want to lose X Lbs and then I'm done" I can guarantee you the weight will come right back. There is no finish line...this is a lifetime endeavor, not a 3 week whatever...

Follow his wisdom.
  • jbug5j
    jbug5j Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    maybe posting on here wasnt a good idea but i cant delete it. its just hard. i have other issues im working with and this week it all seems to be building up. i feel huge. my legs hurt because i am doing my workouts like im supposed to. im trying my damndest to stay under my calories, and that is a struggle, so im always just a little hungry. im angry. im sad. im an emotional wreak. and i just want to stay motivated. i want o like what i see in the mirror. i want to not hide myself when im having a "fat day" whats the hardest is my fiancee is gone for the week on a job so i have no one to look at for support. when i am working out when hes here he will walk in the room and go "woo hoo!" "go chicka!" and i miss that. i miss him. and friday cant get here any faster. any way. i want to say thank you again for your comments. my workout today is lower body focus and even if i get dressed and just stand in front of the tv and done move its better than sitting here. im not saying i want to quit trying, while its really tempting. i want to quit feeling like this. i want to "just do it" but thats hard when your workouts end with you in tears because you just cant....
  • SoLongAndThanksForAllTheFish
    Options
    First off, you ARE seeing progress if you lost inches somewhere but the scale didn't move. You can be losing fat, and gaining equal weight in muscle, causing no scale movement, but your health is being improved. Later you will see progress once your body has built up the muscle it will. Also, being through this type of thing many times with myself and with others, I've found that despite math and what science and people say "should" happen, the body doesn't necessarily comply with your expectations or numbers: you will have sudden increases and decreases for no apparent reason. Sometimes you will have no change and then suddenly drop pounds like crazy. Other times it seems you will be stuck doing the exact same thing you previously lost weight doing and not be losing any weight for a while. The way to combat this is to observe what you are doing more closely, weigh food accurately, weigh yourself at the same time after doing the same things every time, exercise log truthfully and accurately, don't starve yourself, log EVERYTHING and be honest with your activity level. It will help a lot, but you will still have "those weeks" you don't know why what happened happened with your weight.

From your replies you also seem to be missing a concept about weighing food. Yes you should be able to convert a serving between grams and teaspoons. Unfortunately, sometimes the actual physical spoon holds more than the amount of grams its supposed to. Especially if you overfill it or in other words use it not as a measuring device (how many times do you actually level off your tablespoon before using the ingredient? many dont ever...) I can easily take "a tablespoon" of something and eyeball it, think its fine, but if I weigh it out in grams it may not be anywhere near what I thought, it can be almost half of what I thought was a "serving"...and if its something like oil or peanut butter or mayo, that's a lot of calories.

Personally, I've been losing regularly for quite a few months, but the past month I've had NO change. Up and down and up and down and up and down...but I've watched myself and I know why, and I expect it to continue this trend until the new year. This is happening even though some days I burn as much as 3,200 calories in a day due to exercise: because I then eat like a pig during the holidays and it balances! :)

Anyways, you don't have to eat as much as me and therefore you don't have to be as extreme as I am in some of my calorie burns, I'm just saying I know how it can be frustrating, but if you take the long view and figure out how accurate your calorie burns and calorie consumptions are, you will understand why it's happening, and realize its not a short term thing at all, even if you lose 1lb/wk average, its unreasonable to expect some weeks with little to no progress, so that's probably at least 8 months...so a first month of losing inches and gaining muscle means you are actually on track! Just tighten up getting a fix on those calorie and exercise measurements.
  • jbug5j
    Options
    First off, you ARE seeing progress if you lost inches somewhere but the scale didn't move. You can be losing fat, and gaining equal weight in muscle, causing no scale movement, but your health is being improved. Later you will see progress once your body has built up the muscle it will. Also, being through this type of thing many times with myself and with others, I've found that despite math and what science and people say "should" happen, the body doesn't necessarily comply with your expectations or numbers: you will have sudden increases and decreases for no apparent reason. Sometimes you will have no change and then suddenly drop pounds like crazy. Other times it seems you will be stuck doing the exact same thing you previously lost weight doing and not be losing any weight for a while. The way to combat this is to observe what you are doing more closely, weigh food accurately, weigh yourself at the same time after doing the same things every time, exercise log truthfully and accurately, don't starve yourself, log EVERYTHING and be honest with your activity level. It will help a lot, but you will still have "those weeks" you don't know why what happened happened with your weight.

From your replies you also seem to be missing a concept about weighing food. Yes you should be able to convert a serving between grams and teaspoons. Unfortunately, sometimes the actual physical spoon holds more than the amount of grams its supposed to. Especially if you overfill it or in other words use it not as a measuring device (how many times do you actually level off your tablespoon before using the ingredient? many dont ever...) I can easily take "a tablespoon" of something and eyeball it, think its fine, but if I weigh it out in grams it may not be anywhere near what I thought, it can be almost half of what I thought was a "serving"...and if its something like oil or peanut butter or mayo, that's a lot of calories.

Personally, I've been losing regularly for quite a few months, but the past month I've had NO change. Up and down and up and down and up and down...but I've watched myself and I know why, and I expect it to continue this trend until the new year. This is happening even though some days I burn as much as 3,200 calories in a day due to exercise: because I then eat like a pig during the holidays and it balances! :)

Anyways, you don't have to eat as much as me and therefore you don't have to be as extreme as I am in some of my calorie burns, I'm just saying I know how it can be frustrating, but if you take the long view and figure out how accurate your calorie burns and calorie consumptions are, you will understand why it's happening, and realize its not a short term thing at all, even if you lose 1lb/wk average, its unreasonable to expect some weeks with little to no progress, so that's probably at least 8 months...so a first month of losing inches and gaining muscle means you are actually on track! Just tighten up getting a fix on those calorie and exercise measurements.

thank you for this :):flowerforyou:
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    ...and im pretty sure thats because i have NO idea how to log what i have burnt and i think im over logging my burn.

Just log 100 calories for the burn. The real number isn't going to be hugely more than that anyway.
  • Kevalicious99
    Kevalicious99 Posts: 1,131 Member
    Options
    Who cares what the scale says .. I don't. It is all about losing body fat at the moment for me. You should think the same. The scale is something that causes so much emotional pain .. so don't bother with it. Just enjoy losing those inches.

Good luck. But really .. eating in a deficit and getting some exercise on occasion is the answer. Quitting will not accomplish anything positive.
  • jhloves2knit
    jhloves2knit Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    Quit and stay the same
    Or keep going and see results
    Don't just do it to only look better, do it for your health.

Quit and stay the same

omg i loved that line

For me, quitting doesn't mean staying the same - it means getting heavier. I'd love to do calorie deficits, then maintenance for a while. But that isn't working. Basically I need to change my attitude towards food from feast or famine to moderation and a reasonable calorie deficit.
  • jhloves2knit
    jhloves2knit Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    some days I burn as much as 3,200 calories in a day due to exercise:

How do you burn that many calories in a day?
  • jbug5j
    Options
    you guys! i was so mad at myself because i had decided to rest today that i just got up and did it. not sure where that came from but i was sitting on the couch on pinterest and the next thin i knew i was up lunging and sweating and well... doing it. *half smile* i feel better... mostly because i was disapointed that i was going to skip a day.
  • I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Options
    you guys! i was so mad at myself because i had decided to rest today that i just got up and did it. not sure where that came from but i was sitting on the couch on pinterest and the next thin i knew i was up lunging and sweating and well... doing it. *half smile* i feel better... mostly because i was disapointed that i was going to skip a day.

Good job getting it done.
  • fulleroaks
    Options
    The mental battle is often harder than the physical one.
    Good job finishing your workout.
  • uconnwinsnc
    uconnwinsnc Posts: 1,054 Member
    Options

Good job. I know the feeling of wanting to give up. I have had days where I wanted nothing to do with anybody and I just wanted to sit and be lazy. I know it is tough when people keep giving "advice" that you already know deep down, but don't take it personal. Everyone here is all taking part in the same journey. We all want each other to succeed.

You're gonna be great. You just need to keep pushing yourself!
  • acogg
    acogg Posts: 1,870 Member
    Options
    Yay! Congrats on getting motivated and just doing it! Woop!

Digital food scales at Walmart are about $14.00. If money is a problem, think of the money (and weight) you will save with smaller portions. There may even be used ones at a thrift store or on-line. They are not expensive at all.
  • jbug5j
    Options
    Yay! Congrats on getting motivated and just doing it! Woop!

Digital food scales at Walmart are about $14.00. If money is a problem, think of the money (and weight) you will save with smaller portions. There may even be used ones at a thrift store or on-line. They are not expensive at all.

im definitely going to talk to the fiancee about it. the thing is i have started and stopped so many times that spending money on those kinds of things warrants a :huh: out of him. i understand it though. the main thing im trying to convince him to let me get is a fitbit. then i will know how much i burn for sure, and how many calories i can eat... it all comes back to eating. somehow lol
  • acogg
    acogg Posts: 1,870 Member
    Options
    I will be happy to send you one at no charge. Either friend me or send me a message. We will have to exchange personal details, but I am trustworthy. I would be honored to consider it an MFP gift @ Christmas time.
  • Sjenny5891
    Sjenny5891 Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    Keep doing it. Log half the Calories you did before.

Remember you are replacing the Fat with Muscle which weighs more so you will not see any weight loss for some time.
  • Rebecca18392
    Options
    i am angry. i am pissed off. i am tired. I am in the middle of week 3 of T25 and i REALIZE that it hasn't been that long but i am about done! i plan on keeping at it... even though i KNOW nothing will change. i haven't lost a single pound. and my legs are getting bigger! i have lost inches on my hips but i cant tell. none of my clothes feel looser and im pretty sure thats because i have NO idea how to log what i have burnt and i think im over logging my burn. my fiancee says "its only a number why do you need to know" :explode: he is supporting me in this and says i look more toned but im seriously mad. i want to cry and scream and quit and i hate myself for it....

It obviously meant enough to you to have come this far, so don't quit now.
    You are doing really well :) Keep thinking, "Just 1 more lb" then "Just 1 more lb" and you WILL get there.
    Keep up the good work. It'll be worth it :)
  • bekahlou75
    bekahlou75 Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    Reply back on here when you step on that scale or when you notice your clothes are looser. I would love to hear an update.