I ate my emotions...

Options
For the past 5 days I have eaten more crap than I have in weeks. Nothing fits me....feeling completely defeated. Hate myself for not being stronger.

Replies

• alhumphreys
    alhumphreys Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    So be stronger !!!
    You are in control of you !!! Stop listening to the devil on your shoulder ..... YOU can do this !!!!
    AND ... think of the sweet shopping spree you can go on when you reach your goals !!
  • BarefootSerenity
    Options
    I looked at your food diary first. We could be twins in that aspect. I got over eating my emotions, lost 88 pounds, lost a baby and I'm back at it once again. It's a vicious cycle, but we are both stronger and we can and WILL get over it. Hang in there!
  • uconnwinsnc
    uconnwinsnc Posts: 1,054 Member
    Options
    That "Baby screaming 3 AM snack" is killing your diet. Time to step up and take control of your eating. Don't hate yourself, just recognize that you have to stop eating 3/4ths of a tub of cookie dough at 3 AM if you want to get into shape. You also need to do a better job logging what you're eating. You're half-assing your attempt to get into shape, and you're going to get half-assed results.

I am giving you tough love, but you need to recognize what you're doing wrong and do something about it!
  • metaphoria
    metaphoria Posts: 1,432 Member
    Options
    I looked at your diary, and your goal seems a bit low, unless you are very short. May I ask for some info to help make sure your calorie goal is reasonable for you?

Is your baby breastfed exclusively? That can be a few hundred calories right there.
    Also, what is your height, weight and age, and without exercise added, what is your typical activity level? Are you at a desk job or at home, on your feet most of the day?

I'd like to calculate your basal metabolic rate (BMR) which is what your body needs just to live (organ function, digestion, etc.) And your Total Daily Energy Expenditure (TDEE) which is your total calorie usage for a whole day (work, cooking, bathing baby, etc.)

Generally you want your calorie goal to be between the two numbers, preferably around 80% of your TDEE. I suspect this will help curb the binging and even out your diary. Sometimes eating the feelings is eating the feelings, but sometimes it's just the body trying to get what it needs.
  • TX_Rhon
    TX_Rhon Posts: 1,549 Member
    Options
    You cannot change the past 5 days so forget it and move it. If you really want this, change things now! Starting with your next meal.
    Good luck :flowerforyou:
  • sbear867
    sbear867 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    I looked at your diary, and your goal seems a bit low, unless you are very short. May I ask for some info to help make sure your calorie goal is reasonable for you?

Is your baby breastfed exclusively? That can be a few hundred calories right there.
    Also, what is your height, weight and age, and without exercise added, what is your typical activity level? Are you at a desk job or at home, on your feet most of the day?

I'd like to calculate your basal metabolic rate (BMR) which is what your body needs just to live (organ function, digestion, etc.) And your Total Daily Energy Expenditure (TDEE) which is your total calorie usage for a whole day (work, cooking, bathing baby, etc.)

Generally you want your calorie goal to be between the two numbers, preferably around 80% of your TDEE. I suspect this will help curb the binging and even out your diary. Sometimes eating the feelings is eating the feelings, but sometimes it's just the body trying to get what it needs.

Im 251.4lbs, 5"5. And will soon be back at work 3 days a week for 12 hour shifts as a radiologic technologists. I never sit at work. I have 2 month old twins who are up every 2-3 hours to eat all day and night. I breast feed and supplement. I haven't slept more than 3 hours in a row since they were born. I miss the gym. And to top it off I so know better, Im a vet. I've been in great shape.
  • sbear867
    sbear867 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    That "Baby screaming 3 AM snack" is killing your diet. Time to step up and take control of your eating. Don't hate yourself, just recognize that you have to stop eating 3/4ths of a tub of cookie dough at 3 AM if you want to get into shape. You also need to do a better job logging what you're eating. You're half-assing your attempt to get into shape, and you're going to get half-assed results.

I am giving you tough love, but you need to recognize what you're doing wrong and do something about it!

THANK YOU!
  • uconnwinsnc
    uconnwinsnc Posts: 1,054 Member
    Options
    The best gift you can give your kids is a healthy mother.
  • kelseyann777
    Options
    I thought my last binge so to speak was emotional eating, when actually it wasn't. I felt stressed, angry, and frustrated, but it was largely because of my diet. I started eating more smaller meals throughout the course of the day, and I feel happier with less inclination to eat comfort foods. Also, got myself out of a nasty weight loss plateau.

If you are like me and have a history of eating for comfort and pleasure, however there are some ways around those difficult moments. I don't agree with the "tough love" approach to this sort of matter. It just doesn't work all the time. Impulses are very powerful. That doesn't mean forfeit control over the impulses...but to have damage control for when they become so overwhelming that you are being guided without ability to think or react logically.

Addressing the emotional aspects of eating is a long long journey for a person. It's particularly tough, when a couple weeks or months off the wagon can set you back tremendously, especially if you gain weight very easily. I saw on tv. a woman on biggest loser or something gained 30lbs in two weeks from stress eating. The fitness folks were scratching their heads like, "how the hell is this possible?"

1)Anyway, those suffering have to address what's causing the need even compulsion to eat for comfort, pleasure what not.

2) Aim for perfection, but be prepared for the inevitable mistake. I keep comfort foods that aren't going to kill my diet. For example, Green Giant Frozen Cauliflour in Cheese sauce. Tastes almost like Velveeta. Low in fat. 150 calories for a box. You get a lot too. Also only takes 7 minutes in the microwave so its super quick lol. Sugar Free Pudding Snacks. They have SF chocolate mousse snacks that are only 60 calories, and they are very tasty. Quaker Oats with Olivio and SF Butter Flavored Syrup.. 3 minutes to prepare. In essence, you can keep an arsenal of low cal low fat yet comforting foods that can get you over until you find your reason back.

3) Make sure to address the comfort eating. I realize its tough especially if you live with others who can eat whatever and as much as they want. My bf is trying to gain weight. He has a man stash of junk food. I don't know where it is, and don't want to.I in turn have my own "personal space" for my stuff. I have pride in it. I enjoy stocking it, and I love that it's all mine.
  • Spreyton22K
    Spreyton22K Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    Being a Mum is exhausting and twins adds in an extra dimension to this.

Looking back at your diary.....I have to agree the 3am Scream Snacking is a big problem for you but there were other days that either you didn't log or you didn't get to your goal.

Um.....I remember how tired I was when the kids were little but now is the time to look after you and make sure your getting the best nutrition you can ....after all your milk supply depends on this.

What struck me (and I know being in a different location does matter, as I don't know all the names etc) was the lack of fruit, veg and meat. You do seem to have alot of manufactured foods, which may be not giving you as much 'bang for your buck', nutrition wise. Maybe they are making your energy levels spike up and then drop just as quickly, could you try to get some more of these kinds of foods back into your diet??

The other thing too honey....boy these foods are driving your sodium levels up really high. You have not marked your drinks, but between the feeding and extra sodium maybe you are mistaking thirst for hunger and this is hampering your control efforts.

I wish you all the very best as you work through this.
  • metaphoria
    metaphoria Posts: 1,432 Member
    Options

Im 251.4lbs, 5"5. And will soon be back at work 3 days a week for 12 hour shifts as a radiologic technologists. I never sit at work. I have 2 month old twins who are up every 2-3 hours to eat all day and night. I breast feed and supplement. I haven't slept more than 3 hours in a row since they were born. I miss the gym. And to top it off I so know better, Im a vet. I've been in great shape.

Ok, I went to www.fitnessfrog.com to get your TDEE. Yours sits at 2950 for their "moderate exercise" setting. Please keep in mind that this does not take breastfeeding into account. You can create a sizeable deficit by eating at 1800-2000 per day, and eat back exercise calories on top of it. Make sure you measure or weigh your food accurately, and remember that mfp tends to overestimate exercise burns.

Eat at your new numbers for a few weeks, lots of veggies, fruit and good fats and protein, for you and for your babies. The protein and fat will help you feel full and help your milk production. Try to cut down on the empty calories and treats, and portion out a reasonable amount of your favourite indulgence for the time of day you need an extra boost (3am perhaps?).

Babies are tough, losing weight can be tough, and in this case your feelings needed to be eaten. Lol But now you have a healthier deficit to work with, but make it count. If you arent feeling better at the end of a few weeks, you can always tweak your numbers to suit you better. Dont be too hard on yourself, you have new twins, a job starting soon... settle into b a routine before you go pushing yourself with exercise. Brisk walks with the babies in a stroller is plenty for the first while. Good luck!

(Also, a book that helped immensely with getting a baby to sleep, "Healthy Sleep Habits, Happy Child"
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    there was a good thread recently by a member named "magerum" where he went on some kind of vacay bender and then came back and got things back in order. I beleive at 6,000 and 3,000 cals. those might be in the thread title, i think that thread would help you right now, try the search feature to find it.
  • sdalhall
    sdalhall Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Breastfeeding twins is hard. Just having twins is hard at that stage. Mine were 4 before I could even get out of survival mode long enough to think about exercising and counting calories. So, no real advice here, but I wanted to say good for you for focusing on your own health and well-being. I know it can feel like your body is not your own and the demands are overwhelming. Don't beat yourself up for eating your feelings every now and then.
  • MelissaAnn1983
    MelissaAnn1983 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Right there with you today. I don't really get to sit and think to myself and I think I can see why. I have been having my own pity party and trying to work on myself but all I want to do is eat a scoop of the ice cream that is in the freezer. I hate it when nasty food is brought into this house! I am trying my best to be strong!
  • katieme
    katieme Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    When I was breast feeding I used to crave sweet things all the time. Try drinking a large glass of water at 3am before you eat anything you may justy be dehydrated. Keep a balanced snack in the fridge so you can grab it quickly. Dont be too down on yourself becoming a parent and adjusting to your new life is hard enough but the couple it with lack of sleep it can feel like a nightmare. I dont buy any sweet trats now as I cant trust myself to have them in the house or eat them in moderation.