Cardio am I doing to much

Options
I m doing 3 miles 5 days on the elliptical along with 3 land zumba and 2 water zumba classes in a week. I also lift 2X week. Should I cut back on my elliptical distance on my lifting days? I was thinking I am pushing to hard and not lifting enough. I have a mind set that I have to do 3 miles or my day is not complete. I was thinking dropping to 3 days a week of elliptical 3 miles then the other 2 miles on my lifting days. My Zumba days are Monday 2 classes Wed 2 classes and Thursday 1 class. Please help I confused.:huh:

Replies

• Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    Well, it would all be opinions I would think. I don't think you can do too much cardio as long as you are fueling your body. I would think you would be better off throwing weights around a bit more often, but that's just an opinion.
  • moveyourself
    Options
    It's more of a personal preference. Some people are going to tell you you're doing too much- I don't think you are, though. If you're comfortable doing what you're doing, don't change it.
  • lostemt
    lostemt Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    Forgot to add I do swim 3-4 days week I do laps in the pool. Anywhere from 30-45 mins
  • Hornsby
    Options
    You could tell me you do cardio every day for 3-4 hours and I wouldn't ever say you are doing too much. I don't think there is such a thing as long as you are fueling your body.

It really is just preference in my opinion.
  • Sjenny5891
    Sjenny5891 Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    I m doing 3 miles 5 days on the elliptical along with 3 land zumba and 2 water zumba classes in a week. I also lift 2X week. Should I cut back on my elliptical distance on my lifting days? I was thinking I am pushing to hard and not lifting enough. I have a mind set that I have to do 3 miles or my day is not complete. I was thinking dropping to 3 days a week of elliptical 3 miles then the other 2 miles on my lifting days. My Zumba days are Monday 2 classes Wed 2 classes and Thursday 1 class. Please help I confused.:huh:

I'm going to say it depends on what time of day you are doing it. I hit the gym to do the Elliptical first thing in the morning after work and then did an evening Zumba or similar class. But I had time to sleep between exercises.

I did notice that I stopped losing weight when I was doing both every day so I cut back and started doing more squats/ Lunges and lifting classes instead.

Where do you want to go from here weight/ Toning wise?
  • lostemt
    Options
    I do all my workout in the day time. I don't drive so I take a bus in usually around 10 am to 1 pm is my workout times
  • sarahrbraun
    sarahrbraun Posts: 2,261 Member
    Options
    I think you will be pleasantly shocked what would happen if you cut back on your cardio and upped your weight training. I used to do like an hour of cardio and an hour of lifting 4-5x a week. About 2 months ago my trainer suggested that I try to limit my cardio to a 15 minute warm up and a 10-15 minute cool down per day, and spend most of my time lifting...and the scale started moving again for the first time in 3-4 MONTHS. My body is changing shape too...
  • Huffdogg
    Huffdogg Posts: 1,934 Member
    Options
    Yes.
  • pavrg
    pavrg Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    You could tell me you do cardio every day for 3-4 hours and I wouldn't ever say you are doing too much. I don't think there is such a thing as long as you are fueling your body.

It really is just preference in my opinion.
    Pretty much this.
  • lostemt
    Options
    I am going to start changing up stuff tomorrow. I have Zumba but going to lift tomorrow big time

I think you will be pleasantly shocked what would happen if you cut back on your cardio and upped your weight training. I used to do like an hour of cardio and an hour of lifting 4-5x a week. About 2 months ago my trainer suggested that I try to limit my cardio to a 15 minute warm up and a 10-15 minute cool down per day, and spend most of my time lifting...and the scale started moving again for the first time in 3-4 MONTHS. My body is changing shape too...
  • Saramelie
    Saramelie Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    I agree with whoever talked about upping the lifting and letting go of a bit of cardio. Lifting kicks *kitten*!!
  • _jayciemarie_
    _jayciemarie_ Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    Holy Cow! That is a lot of Cardio. I don't think it is too much. It beats the alternative--being lazy or snacking. If you don't mind me asking, how many cardio calories do you burn daily/weekly?
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    sorry if i missed it but what are your goals?

if you actually like doing all that cardio then go for it. doing something is better than nothing. but if you're doing it because you think you need to to help preserve muscle while you lose fat, then there are far more efficient ways to do that.
  • lostemt
    Options
    I am 4 months post left knee replacement and just trying to get back on track. I use to lift 3 days a week. I found the elliptical after finishing PT and feel in love. Then the Oct found my love for Zumba since I already did it in the pool I figured I would land. Did not take long to fall in love with that. Guess I started to gain back my love for lifting in there but like I said in was on the back burner. It's time for me to lay off the elliptical a bit and kick my lifting. I find when I lift and do cardio I feel like a million dollars.
  • lostemt
    Options
    On a good day 1,500 -1,600 calories that's a day

Holy Cow! That is a lot of Cardio. I don't think it is too much. It beats the alternative--being lazy or snacking. If you don't mind me asking, how many cardio calories do you burn daily/weekly?
  • DeeDoy
    DeeDoy Posts: 45
    Options

Is that by using MFP values or ? Cuz that's a lot lol
  • Huffdogg
    Huffdogg Posts: 1,934 Member
    Options

It all depends on why you are doing the cardio. If your heart and lung health is your #1 top priority, then you might be on-point, though you'd likely be getting better effects from 12 minute HIIT sessions every other day. If your massive volume of cardio is an effort to create a deficit despite still eating a lot, well, that's really a matter of preference. Personally, I'd rather not spend so much time burning calories just to burn calories, but if you enjoy it then that's a different story. All that medium-intensity steady-state cardio IS catabolic, though, so if you're not lifting along with it, you're going to be losing muscle steadily.
  • Hornsby
    Options

Is that by using MFP values or ? Cuz that's a lot lol

Wondering as well cause that seems way high for what you posted you do on a daily basis.
  • Leadfoot_Lewis
    Leadfoot_Lewis Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options
    I'm one of "those" people that is a big fan of lifting & just using cardio to keep in good cardiorespiratory health. There is no reason to do a zillion cardio sessions a week unless you're training for some kind of endurance event. If you're trying to lose weight let your diet do the work, not cardio. If you like Zumba, then cut it to a couple of times of week and spend the rest of your time lifting. If you get on a good, proven training program and stick with it I GUARANTEE you that you will see better results than all the cardio that you're currently doing.
  • michellekicks
    michellekicks Posts: 3,624 Member
    Options
    I would say anyone doing that much cardio just so they can eat more still has an unhealthy relationship with food. If that is not the case - and you're just doing it because you love it and you have time for it and you're fueling it with food - then do whatever you like!

I'd say, though, the water zumba is maybe doing less for you than you think and if you're doing zumba classes dry then maybe switch up the pool sessions for more weights. Get your weights up to 3 full body workouts/week.