Keeping up endurance while resting.

Options
I made it halfway through a C25k program when my ankles started bothering me. I did push through it for a couple sessions (bad idea, I know), but now one of them is swollen on the outside. I know I need to give them some rest and I'll probably see my doctor next week. Understand that I have NEVER been a runner. So being able to run for 6 minutes straight was a big deal for me. My question is, are there exercises that can be done that will help me keep up my endurance level while giving my ankles a much-needed break? I tried to find something on Google, but my search didn't turn up anything helpful

Replies

• BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Swimming?
  • 19TaraLynn84
    19TaraLynn84 Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    Oh, I wish! But no pool close enough to visit. But thanks for answering!
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    Did you get your running shoes from a running store? Did they perform a gait analysis? If you are running in the wrong kind of shoes for the way your body is built, you will get injured.

Good luck!
  • 19TaraLynn84
    Options
    Thanks for the tip. I'll have to find a running store soon.
  • cafeaulait7
    cafeaulait7 Posts: 2,459 Member
    Options
    Mat workouts like Pilates or Floor Barre (ballet), where you do a lot while lying down are great. Think lots of kicks, leg lifts, ab moves, moves on your stomach (locust/superman variations, mainly), etc. If you need it to approach cardio at all, you'd better like kicking ;) I do, so I like them fine :D

Ballet Bootcamp II is free in full on youtube, and some of its chapters have good floor work.

Lots of yoga is done in positions where ankles don't take weight, too: camel, side angle, cat/cow, balancing table, tiger or other kneeling moves. And of course there are yoga stretching moves that are fully seated, too :)
  • 19TaraLynn84
    Options
    Awesome! Thanks so much.
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    Did you get your running shoes from a running store? Did they perform a gait analysis? If you are running in the wrong kind of shoes for the way your body is built, you will get injured.

Good luck!
    +1

If you dont' have shoe fitted for you then you are only setting yourself up for injury.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    My question is, are there exercises that can be done that will help me keep up my endurance level while giving my ankles a much-needed break? I tried to find something on Google, but my search didn't turn up anything helpful

Yup, swim.
  • Magana94
    Options
    When I first started running my ankles would kill me afterwards. They aren't used to all your body weight being thrown on them so fast. When I changed my running shoes to Nike Free Runs they didn't hurt as bad. Overtime they got stronger and now they don't hurt at all. I used to jog/walk a mile in 12:00 minutes now I'm at a 8:00 minute mile. Keep up the endurance if you want to see that progression in the length you run. For endurance you can do leg-lifts and abs like someone else said. Or if you have access to a bike, thats way easier on your ankles and is still a killer endurance workout. I hope your ankle pain goes away!