Surgery

Options
I'm scheduled to have foot surgery on January 7, 2011. So that gives me 2 months to shed the last 10-12 lbs that is required of me. I know I'm going to be sedentary for at least a month. No Insanity or running. I have Jilliam Michaels 30 day shred which has some things I'll still be able to do besides the jumping. So I will be able to get in some exerices and I should still be able to do some of the P90X dvds.

In the meantime, what do you guys suggest I do to make sure I reach my goal before surgery?

Replies

• vickiele1
    vickiele1 Posts: 394 Member
    Options
    If you really push the strength training exercises, that don't involve standing, you can burn quite a few calories and really strengthen your muscles. Maybe arm curls, sitting. butterflys - laying on your back and lifting your arms (using weights) straight armed to above your chest (meeting in the middle). Leg lifts, crunches, boxing sitting down in a straight backed chair to music. I am sure there are all kinds of things you can do and still burn a lot of calories.

Good luck with your surgery and your journey to a healthier and happier you.

Vickie
  • gambitsgurl
    gambitsgurl Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    Remember, you don't have to exercise to lose weight. If you don't make the final goal by surgery date it's ok. After the surgery you can still lose some by keeping your calorie goals. Then when you add in what vickie said, you should be ok.
  • pattybond1234
    pattybond1234 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Best wishes to you for a speedy recovery! I have had 3 foot surgeries and over the last year have been through quite a rigorous physical and pain control therapy regime to get my feet stable due to several conditions I still suffer from. As a result, I cannot tolerate any type of exercise routine for any length of time. My weight loss journey started just this past spring and I did it by simply maintaining my calories. I haven't reached my goal and I seem to have plateaued; but, I thought my story might give you some encouragement. All you can do is just your best and, like others have said, just keep to your calories and you should be fine. Good luck!
  • turbojanem
    Options
    two things: first nutrition. make sure you are really eating smart...lean proteins, veggies, reduce your tropical fruits, eat lots of colorful foods, remove all processed foods, reduce your condiments and cheese, watch the sugars and salts in low fat foods, and remove anything that has HFCS. removes juices (eat real fruits), sodas (diet sodas too), drink your coffee and tea without sugar and creams. all of these will add up to big changes. (however since you do Insanity, i'm thinking that you already eat fairly helathy) have you tried Shakeology yet? it is GREAT and easy to prepare. message me if you want more info.

movement....do you know anyone that has a Total Gym? i was AMAZED how much you can do on that thing. it is GREAT for those that have foot/ankle/knee issues. you can get a GREAT workout from one. see if you can borrow one from a friend for the month. it will be good to do something different than your typical movements and give your muscles a good bit of confusion. your upper body work through your P90X DVD's will also help a bunch.

cheering you on!!!
  • fitnewlife
    fitnewlife Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    My diet is okay but I'm gonna kick it up a knotch. I use to have a Total gym but we sold it at a yard sale. I have a univeral gym at home, so I know I will use that after surgery.

Yes I use shakeology once a week. I was suppose to do the 3 day cleanse this week but I'm gonna do it on Monday. I will probably do it the week before surgery. I don't handle surgery too well, I get sick (vomit) from the drugs. So it would be a great time to cleanse once again.
    two things: first nutrition. make sure you are really eating smart...lean proteins, veggies, reduce your tropical fruits, eat lots of colorful foods, remove all processed foods, reduce your condiments and cheese, watch the sugars and salts in low fat foods, and remove anything that has HFCS. removes juices (eat real fruits), sodas (diet sodas too), drink your coffee and tea without sugar and creams. all of these will add up to big changes. (however since you do Insanity, i'm thinking that you already eat fairly helathy) have you tried Shakeology yet? it is GREAT and easy to prepare. message me if you want more info.

movement....do you know anyone that has a Total Gym? i was AMAZED how much you can do on that thing. it is GREAT for those that have foot/ankle/knee issues. you can get a GREAT workout from one. see if you can borrow one from a friend for the month. it will be good to do something different than your typical movements and give your muscles a good bit of confusion. your upper body work through your P90X DVD's will also help a bunch.

cheering you on!!!