Over on macros, but on target/under for calories?

Options
I'm a person who eats a heck lot of fruits, so I'm often over on sugar and carbs, but sometimes I still stay on target (or even under) for my calories.

For example, today I had ~1380 cals out of a 1440 calories goal, BUT 276/198 for carbs, (19/48 for fat), 60/54 for protein, 131/29 for sugar (!!! always really high).

Whereas yesterday, I had 1311 cals, 213/198 for carbs, 33/48 for fat, 85/54 for protein, 119/29 for sugar.

Is this bad in any way? For example, will it hinder weight loss or muscle preservation? How important are macros, exactly?

Replies

• Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Sugar doesn't matter much unless you have blood sugar issues. Protein you want to be over by quite a bit though. MFP's goal is way too low. I'd try and stick to 40% carb, 30% fat and 30% protein, personally... Protein is essential to avoid too much muscle loss.
  • Chadomaniac
    Chadomaniac Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    Important

This is what your body needs for "optimal" functioning and nutrition

Minimums :
    Fat: 0.4g per pound bodyweight
    Protein : 0.85g per pound bodyweight
    Carbs : Not 100% necessary

Once you hit your minimums you can fill in the rest of the calories from carbs/protein/fat or a combination of all 3 aslong as you stay within your calorie goals

PS: You need more protein
  • 0nesecret
    0nesecret Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    But am I correct to assume that weight loss is still 100% calorie intake/outtake?

and I suppose I understand that protein is essential to preserve muscles.