Is anybody else tired of the whole "weight loss" thing?

Options

Replies

• VoodooAborisha
    VoodooAborisha Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    I am SOOO TIRED of it.

I can't stop, but I am tired of it!

I have lost my initial motivation, so it is a drudge. I used to get excited about doing my 30 day shred and now I have to FORCE myself to do it (probably because the month I didn't exercise because I hurt my back, I lost the MOST weight!).

And I am HUNGRY. I was almost in tears the few days after Thanksgiving, because it had reminded me what a happy belly, full of foods that I LIKE feels like - it feels GOOD.

That being said, I have lost 18 lbs since August and my 13-year-long depression and anxiety is almost gone, due to exercise. My skin looks better than ever, and I am almost as toned as I was when I was 17 doing ballet.

So I can't STOP dieting and exercising, but I DON'T LIKE IT. My inner couch potato is HUNGRY and TIRED!
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    I get you. I don't like to have to keep monitoring stuff. Now from experience with me, when I eat what I like, so long as I make sure I get a decent amount of protein and fat, and don't go OTT with carbs (and by that I mean pigging out on large size bags of gummy bears or family size chocolate bars) then I tend to eat a maintenance and neither lose nor gain weight. Combine that with exercising and I maintain a healthy body fat percentage (without exercise, my weight stays the same but my body fat percentage goes up a little). For me to lose fat though, I do have to be careful and monitor calorie intake. That does take effort and doesn't happen by itself. And while the above is true and what I'm doing now, I made sure I was at a healthy body fat percentage before attempting to maintain like this. And I also keep an eye on both my weight and my body fat percentage. If they do creep up (other than planned weight gain from weight training while my body fat percentage stays the same) then I'm back to tracking.

So basically, I think it's a good idea to aim in the long term for maintaining a healthy body fat percentage with the minimum of necessary effort............ but if you're not currently at a healthy body fat percentage then IMO it's worth the effort to get there before just accepting your body maintaining where it is. My personal experience is when I was obese, my body wanted to maintain the weight that it was, in spite of carrying too much fat. Now I'm in the healthy range for body fat, it still wants to maintain itself where it is, and now I let it do that.
  • mamadon
    mamadon Posts: 1,422 Member
    Options
    Nope.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    Not me...I get fat when I just let life happen. No thanks.

I was tired of being fat and tired too so I have lost the weight (8.5 to go) and then I will eat at maintenance but knowing myself and my capacity to over indulge I will be careful and do what I know I need to do to maintain my health.

I don't understand those who feel it's okay to just do whatever and see what happens.....it's not that hard to log food, make sure you stay within a goal and live life without being deprived and not "diet" every other year because your sick of being fat.....
  • HollisGrant
    HollisGrant Posts: 2,022 Member
    Options
    Ok here is my issue....My weight has fluctuated throughout my life...I have been very fit, and very fat... The more I try to lose weight, the fatter I get..
    I find that I have the most success when I just "let go", and stop trying so hard...I am naturally a very active person, love to cook, and have been a vegetarian for around 8 years..at my core I am a healthy, fit person...but when I start trying to control things (calorie intake, burn etc.) I start obsessing, freak out and gain a bunch of weight.
    Anyway, is anyone else seriously sick of the whole "dieting" thing? Does anyone else want to just relax, live life, and see what happens? Don't get me wrong, I am still going to work out (for fun, not only calorie burn), and eat healthy foods (also for fun and because they taste good and make me feel good, not counting calories or worrying about fat), I'm just not going to be so structured or feel guilty when I "mess up". I know that my body naturally wants to be fit, and if I get out of my own way it might just happen.
    Who's with me?

I get you. My problem is I know what will happen if I let go.

I'm a food addict. I'm naturally not a very active person. Naturally, I would sit on the couch all day, glued to the computer... and my "natural" diet includes 7-11 glazed donuts, a whole bag of popcorn every evening, caramel ice cream, and a chocolate bar every single time I go to the grocery store or the drug store... oh, and breakfast with my overweight friend, where we both chow down on crepes with whipped cream.

I got completely sick of the way I looked and felt. Counting calories helped me get down to a size where I can fit in my clothes, look good, and feel good. I love walking to work instead of taking my car. I love hiking in nature with my dog. Yes, it's a chore to log, but as long as I know I'm still a lazy food addict I'm going to keep logging. To be honest, MFP has raised the whole quality of my life.
  • briannadunn
    briannadunn Posts: 841 Member
    Options
    Surround yourself by successful people and you yourself will be successful. Motivation also inspires others. That is why I am here.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,525 Member
    Options
    People get tired of it because like a job..........................it's a job. It's mundane for many because it's something they have to pay attention to to get results. And many base their results off a scale.

I go through weight loss and gain (though not very dramatically) and accept the fact that it's gonna come down to calorie intake. I just approach it in a manner that it's just a change of my current habit to just cutting it back some.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • redrocksrunner
    Options
    Wow thanks for all the replies! I get that different things work for different people, but I don't think this is working for me...

Example - 4 years ago, I was running and lifting weights almost every day (because I LOVED it), ate healthy food (also because I loved it, and loved to cook) drank wheatgrass every day, I was in pretty good shape but I still had maybe 10 pounds to lose, so I put up a schedule, started counting calories, and put pressure on myself to lose those extra few pounds.
    Now, I after 4 years of being miserable, obsessing, binging, counting, etc, I am about 75 pounds overweight, if I work out it's because I am starting a new "plan", and I absolutely do not enjoy it, I rarely cook anymore.

Everything turned in to drudgery, weight loss is all I think about, food became calories, running became calories...everything just turned in to another task to complete...another task to fail...

I am not resigning to be overweight at all, I am determined to get back in shape but I don't think this is the right way for me.

I am definitely not saying that there's anything wrong with this site (I'm here because I've been using it and it is pretty awesome), I think whatever works for you is great! I was just wondering if there was anyone out there like me.....
  • mortuseon
    mortuseon Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    I think you'd have more success if you set small goals and built them up. Rome wasn't built in a day, and all that, and neither is 75lbs. It'll take a lot to overhaul your lifestyle but if you do so step by tiny step, it becomes habit and I think more sustainable. Hope that helps?
  • jwdieter
    jwdieter Posts: 2,582 Member
    Options
    If the "whole weight loss thing" consisted of being lazy and eating over maintenance, I wouldn't be a fan either.

Pretty sure OP is just doing it wrong.
  • TheJhazminShow
    Options
    Of course I'm tired of it. I'm tired of being obsessed with eating and not eating, being fat, being unfit, constantly restricting and staving off binges. I am at war with myself.

But I am also very tired of being fat and "just doing whatever!" does not work for me.

I actually enjoy calorie counting and adjusting my goals and seeing what other people eat.
  • At the moment i am sick of it because it seems to be the only thing i am focusing on apart from work and i am bored

But i must continue for my health if nothing
  • AlongCame_Molly
    AlongCame_Molly Posts: 2,835 Member
    Options
    I got more sick of hating how I looked naked. :flowerforyou:
  • eryquem
    eryquem Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I'm actually loving it.

I love the control I have, knowing that I can eat great tasting food and not worry about gaining weight.

I love the fact that if I want some kind of extra treat that doesn't fit into my calorie allowance, I can earn it by exercising.

I'm really into cooking (especially gourmet), and I love coming up with new recipes that are healthy, balanced, taste great, and are surprisingly low in calories.

And I love the fact that after losing and regaining weight 3 or 4 times in my adult life before this time, I'm finally confident that I won't gain it back again. Because I absolutely don't want to stop what I'm doing (unlike the other times, where I was doing various restrictions and unpleasant exercise routines that I was more than happy to abandon when I reached my goal weight)
  • moontyrant
    moontyrant Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Sometimes logging seems like more of a chore than a labor of love, but if I just let go, I let myself go. Many of my friends and family are overweight, and without logging the eat-everything-in-large-quantities lifestyle makes my pants tight.
  • Slrajr
    Slrajr Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I kinda do get sick of it. Then I remember that I've lost 35lbs, am stronger, healthier and damn better looking, that I've fallen in love with working out and that I can still eat pretty much whatever I like and appreciate moderation instead of pure indulgence.

I like your muscles:)

Personally, I just like collecting data and noticing that the results and the data match.
  • mamadragon
    Options
    That's me alright! I finally got tired of counting every little thing that I ate and not seeing any results. With the beginning of menopause, my weight laughed at me and started climbing uphill. The yo-yo that's been my weight has finally gotten to me too. I just want to be me and stop fighting myself. I had my time of thin now it's my time of plump. I walk and do what I can, I wish to get into a little bit better fit shape but other than that, no more counting for me. I'm done with it.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    nope…I love lifting, eating healthy,and trying to change my body composition..

the problem with "letting yourself go" is a year from now you are going to be like "holy crap, I put on 40 pounds! How did I get here?"

Diet does not have to be hard or boring..I eat what I want…just make sure I hit my macros and cal requirement for the day...
  • kill3rtofu
    kill3rtofu Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Diets never work. So, if that is what you are doing, you will only fail. Your lifestyle must change. Don't worry about calories, just eat as healthy as you can.

I disagree that calorie counting is doomed to failure: I think it can become part of one's lifestyle to log calories consistently, it just gets easier and becomes more of a habit over time. I don't think there's a surefire way to lose or maintain without counting unless you're VERY good at eyeballing your portions, etc. 'Eating as healthily as you can' could easily lead to a gain if you overestimate.

this
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    Diets never work. So, if that is what you are doing, you will only fail. Your lifestyle must change. Don't worry about calories, just eat as healthy as you can.

who needs calories…? I mean they only determine if you gain or lose...