New, 48 & need to lose 50lbs for bypass surgery.

Options
Hello,

Before you judge or comment. Please listen to my story, I'm 48 and from the UK. I've always been overweight from a young age, but lost weight with both of my pregnancy's. I have a number of health issues, including lipidemia. I'm also unable to move due to huge lumps at the back of my legs from the lipidemia. I'm basically house and scooter bound. Luckily I don't suffer from diabetes at the weight I am. I'm currently 199kg.

My daughters nearly 20, left home but lives around the corner to be able to support me and I have an autistic son aged 16 who's currently in a boarding school but once he's 19 he'll need to come home and be cared for. Its not bad but he'll always need a career/support around and I want that to be myself. But in my current state? It's impossible.

I've previously tried slim-fast, weight watches and honestly its never worked. So now I see this as a glimpse of hope, to lose weight and to be able to look after my son. But also to see my daughter become a mother one day and help her.

Yesterday, my daughter and I attended our hospital for the 1st stage of bypass surgery. Seeing a dietitian and surgeon, they agree its a good option due to medical reasons and my son. But one thing you have to do solo is lose 10% of your own body weight before surgery and 4 weeks before surgery do a liver shrinking diet of 100cals a day. So my daughter recommended MyFitnessPal as she currently uses it herself. Also for me to do walking with her while having my scooter available to sit down when needed.

To be honest? I'm proud of myself, yesterday.. I walked for 10mins straight in the hospital. It killed me, but I did it and that's a sign that I can do this as-well. Although afterwords I was knackered and my poor daughter had to pull me around for the rest of the day. I'm so thankful for her and her support.

So here I am, here to lose 50 lbs (10%). I don't know when my surgery will be but may as well start now right? If I lose more.. even better. But this is my hope and I will do this.

I'll also be starting Monday as I need to explain this to my son, who come's home tomorrow and I want him to understand before I do it.

Would also like a support group of friends to keep me motivated, my daughters one.

But thank you for reading.

Sarah x

Replies

• mamadon
    mamadon Posts: 1,422 Member
    Options
    You have taken a first step towards changing your life. You should be proud. If surgery is what you need to accomplish your goal. then thats what you should do. We all have our paths to take for good health. This site has been a huge help for so many of us, and it can help you too. Just remember to take it one day, and one pound at a time. Remember to forgive yourself, if you mess up occasionally and carry on. We all struggle occasionally and thats ok. I will send you a friend request. :)
  • retmilwife
    Options
    I too am on the path to bariatric surgery. Had my meetings with all my professionals and I need to lose weight also before the surgery.
    No judgments here. I know I for a while thought that it was the easy way out but when I looked at the process, there is nothing easy about it. It is just a different way to go.
    You need to do what is right for you and your life.
    It is all a means of loving and caring for yourself.
    I will send a friend request.
    Hang in there and welcome! And e proud of yourself. :smile:
  • retiree2006
    retiree2006 Posts: 951 Member
    Options
    You've made a decision that will change your life for the better...and if you combine the healthier eating plus whatever exercise you are able to do, you'll see the pounds begin to drop. It will take awhile but that's the best way rather than trying something that may be too hard to sustain. So keep that goal in mind, realize there will be good days and others not so good, but consistency will get you where you need to be for your surgery. Another wonderful lady on MFP has worked a year to drop 87 lbs. so she could have knee replacements and she's been such an inspiration. AND...she is scheduled for the surgery next week! So you can do it! Read through the boards for inspiration because that definitely helps during the tough times. I'd be happy to cheer you on.
  • Elbee1
    Elbee1 Posts: 2,071 Member
    Options
    Wishing you well.
    Linda
  • bf43005
    bf43005 Posts: 287
    Options
    Congrats on making this step. Whatever your journey weight loss is never something you should feel judgement on. I know some people are critical of bypass surgery, but I strongly believe that you need to do what works for you and anything is better than nothing. This will be a big change to your life and I really hope you stick with it. You have a lot of resources at your disposal, like the dietician, so I hope you take full advantage of it. Add me as a friend if you would like. Best of luck!!
  • monjacq1964
    monjacq1964 Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    Welcome. I had gastric bypass surgery 2.5 years ago. I"ve lost about 130lbs, but i need to lose about 20 more. I'll send you a friend request.
  • airdale8263
    airdale8263 Posts: 2,155 Member
    Options
    Congrats on your decision. Gasteric Bypass surgery is not an automatic "miracle" weight loss. It is a tool to help you loss the weight. You are still going to have to work at the weight loss. You will have to pay attention to what the doctors tell you. It isa lifestyle change that may or may not be easy for you but you will reap the benifits if you stick to the changes required. ( aso noted by monjacq1964 post).
    Best of Luck on your lifestyle change.
  • Vmax1992
    Vmax1992 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    No judgement here. My wife had this done back in May. I went to meetings with her, Dr.s appointments etc etc so that I could understand what was going to happen. It isn't easy, but it can and will be done. Follow you Dr's orders to the letter, be careful of advise from others at meetings....listen, learn and remember that everyone is different. My wife went from a size 22/24 to a 12/14 so far. Hang in there, if you want any chat time with someone who has supported GB patient, just send a friend request.
    Myself...I have lost 55 since Jan. I did not have the procedure. Needing an emergency stent was enough to kick me in the butt.
  • boehle
    boehle Posts: 5,062 Member
    Options
    My aunt and cousin did the surgery a few months back
    They were not on a 100 cal diet, thats obserd.
    They were on a strickly liquid diet though
    They both think the lapband was their best option.

Good luck to you.
    If you need a new friend, feel free to request me
  • SibylDiane
    SibylDiane Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    Welcome and good luck! I know you can lose that 50 lbs. Keep your eyes on the prize (cliche I know but it helps) and keep working. I am just about six months out from my gastric sleeve surgery and have lost just about 135 lbs overall - I also had to lose weight before surgery, that's not all since surgery. I have maybe 50 - 60 lbs left to lose, I am not finished yet. Feel free to send me a friend request if you want. Although the sleeve and bypass are different surgeries, our post-surgery eating plans are very similar.
  • MyFoodGod
    MyFoodGod Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Check out Overeaters Anonymous. Listen to their podcasts and visit a meeting. Some members have had surgery and need the support their to continue in good health. We don't get unhealthy overbite and we won't stay there without support. Best wishes.
  • t1954
    t1954 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Hello,
    I elected to go the other way when faced with my own weight issues. I was successful at avoiding the surgery. I don't pretend to know the answer but can only speak to what worked for me. It is a personal decision plain and simple. Obviously, you have taken that important first step. I commend your decision to get healthier. As for someone who has completed the process, your hard work is rewarded at the end no matter how long it takes to complete. Enjoy your new life. Best wishes for your success.
  • MamaPeps
    Options
    Thank you everybody :)
  • aakaakaak
    aakaakaak Posts: 1,240 Member
    Options
    If you lost the 50 lbs and you knew you could lose another 50 or more on your own would you still elect to go forward with the surgery?

Losing weight is about eating fewer calories than you burn. Tracking accurately helps you do that. I'm not telling you not to do the surgery if it will help you, but its not a magic cure all. You'll be the one that has to lose the weight. You'll be the one taking control of your own body.

Are you able to do any exercise right now? Can you walk? Will you be able to walk once you've lost some weight?
  • Azexas
    Azexas Posts: 4,334 Member
    Options
    Congrats on making your first steps :) Feel free to add me.

Diet is the largest piece of the puzzle. I would invest in a scale for the kitchen. I was amazed after I got mine and started weighing everything. You can get a good one for relatively cheap. I saw that you use a scooter, but are you able to do some upper body workouts?
  • pianochick5254
    Options
    I'm not a registered dietician or even a student at a medical school, however I can say that juice fasting worked pretty well for me and anyone else who has ever tried it honestly. You should check it out and if you think its something you would like to try then you can talk to your doctor and see if he agrees and figure something out. Basically you drink about 3-4 32 oz's of homemade juice everyday. Usually juices can contain a variety of carrots, tomato, kale, spinach, beets, celery, pear, apple, cucumber, lemon, green pepper, etc etc (you can juice just about anything). The point being that its like 95% veggie and 5% fruit. So you drink these and its supposed to clean you out and you lose weight and feel better. This is just my experience and my research, I seriously urge you to look into it on your own though and make your own opinion on it. Also there is a documentary called "fat sick and nearly dead" that goes into it a bit more. I lost about 9 lbs in 4 days which was mostly water weight but a lot of people have done these for like 30 days (including someone I know personally) and they usually lose between 60-150 lbs. My friend did hers for 14 days and she lost 30.
  • BrandNewMeBy30
    Options
    Hi,

I'm sure there may be people who want to bash you for not losing the "old fashioned" way, but that's not me. If you feel this is the way to go, I am happy for you! I am so happy that you conquered that 10 minute walk, even though it hurt it made you feel good inside b/c you go to do it! Good for you girl! If you need any extra motivation or support feel free to add me!!
  • arrseegee
    arrseegee Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    I'm not a registered dietician or even a student at a medical school, however I can say that juice fasting worked pretty well for me and anyone else who has ever tried it honestly. You should check it out and if you think its something you would like to try then you can talk to your doctor and see if he agrees and figure something out. Basically you drink about 3-4 32 oz's of homemade juice everyday. Usually juices can contain a variety of carrots, tomato, kale, spinach, beets, celery, pear, apple, cucumber, lemon, green pepper, etc etc (you can juice just about anything). The point being that its like 95% veggie and 5% fruit. So you drink these and its supposed to clean you out and you lose weight and feel better. This is just my experience and my research, I seriously urge you to look into it on your own though and make your own opinion on it. Also there is a documentary called "fat sick and nearly dead" that goes into it a bit more. I lost about 9 lbs in 4 days which was mostly water weight but a lot of people have done these for like 30 days (including someone I know personally) and they usually lose between 60-150 lbs. My friend did hers for 14 days and she lost 30.

Hi, I am a nutritionist and I know you are just trying to be helpful but I don't think recommending someone blend their entire diet is a great first step towards weight loss. With so much to lose 50lb should come off quite quickly with some less extreme dietary changes, like eating more fruits and vegetables, drinking water or low fat milk instead of soda, and basically getting used to the taste and feel of a healthier diet.

I'm sure juice cleanses 'work' for some people as a weight loss tool but from a health or medical perspective it is just another over-promoted quick fix and fad diet that has more of a psychological effect than any effect on body fat percentage.
  • pianochick5254
    Options

Hi, I am a nutritionist and I know you are just trying to be helpful but I don't think recommending someone blend their entire diet is a great first step towards weight loss. With so much to lose 50lb should come off quite quickly with some less extreme dietary changes, like eating more fruits and vegetables, drinking water or low fat milk instead of soda, and basically getting used to the taste and feel of a healthier diet.

I'm sure juice cleanses 'work' for some people as a weight loss tool but from a health or medical perspective it is just another over-promoted quick fix and fad diet that has more of a psychological effect than any effect on body fat percentage.

I understand your concerns but I know that many people have seen very positive effects from this and it is not lacking nutrition wise. Some people have done this and their arteries have cleared up dramatically, blood pressure returned to normal, and many other issues have been cleared up and then when the fast is over you implement healthy eating to continue it. I'm just saying that I don't necessarily think it should be ruled out. Also I know for myself in just my 4 days of doing it, I had a completely different relationship with what I considered healthy food, and I realized that I had an addiction to food that otherwise probably would've went completely ignored. I understand what you are saying, but sometimes things that aren't exactly conventional in nature can be someone's saving grace. It was for many people. It is not a quick fix, it is a 30 day commitment that requires people to examine their lives and it is not a fad diet, it is exactly what you called it, a cleanse. And I don't think the 60-150 lbs. that was lost by these people was just "psychological". I respect your status as a nutritionist however and I'm not trying to say you're wrong about approaches to diet, just that you aren't necessarily right about methods that work for different people and with so much weight to lose in so little time, I don't think this should be taken off the table as an option if she decides that it could work for her.