Plateaus and setbacks.

Options
Been dieting for 3 months and lost 30 lbs. My goal is to lose 50 so the work is not done quite yet.

So....

How does everyone here deal with extended plateaus and slight setbacks?

9 days ago I was at the 30 lb loss stage, and I stayed there for 8 days (a long plateau for me). Then this morning I had gained 2 lbs. I know that is a minor setback, and holiday parties may be the culprit, but it is discouraging because I had not suffered any gains since I started dieting.

How does one deal with the long plateaus between losses? It seems like forever to me if I dont lose a pound in 5-6 days. I dont want to get discouraged and just say "well, I guess 30 lbs is enough to lose". Is it normal for the plateaus to be protracted the closer to goal weight you get?

Some suggested inner pep talk language would be helpful.

Thanks

Oh yes.... I am 57 years old, 5'10" tall and began my weight loss journey at 227 lbs.

Replies

• piratebear1
    piratebear1 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I dont have any advice - just thought I would reply as I too have been going around the same sort of time. Started seriouslt in October and I feel the plateau wont be long now . . .Im dreading it.

I weigh myself every Sunday morning - to prevent the binge I used to have on a weekend when I weighed in on Fridays - works well for me, I can usually feel the weight thas gone by Tuesday/Wednesday. Last week I felt nothing - yet Id lost 3lb ... Getting paranoid . . .

Good luck - stay strong - maybe increase the calories a little ?

47478456.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • tbgree00
    tbgree00 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I can't see your journal so I can't comment specifically but are you drinking enough water? Are you sneaking snacks or not measuring your food to record everything?

Sometimes if your body is used to your workout you need to switch it up. Maybe you could try a high intensity interval program for a few weeks to see if you start dropping again? If you can afford or borrow a P90X or T25 from someone those really helped me get over a hump.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    have you re-adjusted your intake based on your new weight level? If you have lost 30 pounds but are still eating at same level you were when you were 30 pounds heavier then that could be your problem….you might have to shave off another 100 calls per day...
  • jmharring1953
    jmharring1953 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    In the same boat..........not sure if I need to cut back on caloric intake. Right now eating 1200 calories and have lost about 25 pounds since August 1st. I really am not one to exercise so I don't know if that's the reason I'm stuck or not. My doctor was the one who suggested counting calories vs going with a fad diet and so far it's worked for me. I cut out all diet soda and drink water (sometimes flavored) mostly. I tend to eat too much salt so maybe cutting back on that may help some. I'm sure not giving up at this point because the lifestyle change has helped me feel so much better......physically and mentally. Would like to lose about 10-12 more pounds and I'll be at a weight I feel good about. DON'T give up.....it does take patience and if I can do it anyone can.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,404 MFP Moderator
    Options
    First, weight loss isn't linear. Second, do you weigh your food (with a food scale) and by that token, how much are you eating? Third, can you open your diary? Fourth, plateau's are a month or longer.
  • Whyareyoumad
    Whyareyoumad Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    have you re-adjusted your intake based on your new weight level? If you have lost 30 pounds but are still eating at same level you were when you were 30 pounds heavier then that could be your problem….you might have to shave off another 100 calls per day...

This is what happened to me, I didnt reset my weight to adjust my calories and hit a plateau. Once I made the adjustment I started losing again.
  • jmharring1953
    Options
    Did you use the BMR calculator to determine the amount of calories you should be eating? I'm never quite sure if that's what I should be using.
  • VanishingMan
    Options
    Thanks for the responses.

I dont do much exercise. I do play golf, but I see from searching that the amount of calories burned during a round of golf (riding) is a highly charged topic. :)

I dont drink much water either, but I do drink a boatload of tea (unsweetened iced tea).

I do not weigh my food with a scale. I rely on the portion assignments in MFP and on the package. For instance, I know that 2 slices of Publix ham is X calories and 2 slices of Arnold bread is X calories and so on....I build my sandwich and wind up with a 430 calorie ham sandwich.

I have adjusted my caloric intake needs recently, and have done so several times throughout the process. I am now at 1330. I SELDOM go over the caloric count. Almost never.

One time I was stalled at the same weight for a couple of weeks and I went on a purposeful binge at a BBQ buffet. I must have downed 1500 calories that meal. It must have jarred my metabolism because I started losing again soon afterward. Is that possible?

So....a plateau is more than a month long? Thanks, I am here to learn.
  • jmharring1953
    Options
    I'm just confused about the caloric intake. Like I said, I eat 1200 calories a day but if I go by the BMR calculator or the Harris-Benedict equation the numbers are much different. So do you eat LESS calories to lose weight or MORE??? Like you said I've eaten alot more food - for instance at Thanksgiving - thinking I would gain a couple of pounds and to my surprise, actually lost a pound. This just doesn't make sense.
  • VanishingMan
    Options
    The one time it happened to me, I was stuck for several weeks and a friend suggested a binge to shake things up. I tried it and it seemed to work (It sure was fun eating all that stuff). But I wonder if the binge was really what did the good.
  • VanishingMan
    Options
    Sorry bad post....
  • psuLemon
    Options
    Thanks for the responses.

I dont do much exercise. I do play golf, but I see from searching that the amount of calories burned during a round of golf (riding) is a highly charged topic. :)

I dont drink much water either, but I do drink a boatload of tea (unsweetened iced tea).

I do not weigh my food with a scale. I rely on the portion assignments in MFP and on the package. For instance, I know that 2 slices of Publix ham is X calories and 2 slices of Arnold bread is X calories and so on....I build my sandwich and wind up with a 430 calorie ham sandwich.

I have adjusted my caloric intake needs recently, and have done so several times throughout the process. I am now at 1330. I SELDOM go over the caloric count. Almost never.

One time I was stalled at the same weight for a couple of weeks and I went on a purposeful binge at a BBQ buffet. I must have downed 1500 calories that meal. It must have jarred my metabolism because I started losing again soon afterward. Is that possible?

So....a plateau is more than a month long? Thanks, I am here to learn.

As a man, you really need more calories than 1330. I suspect your weight loss goals are aggressive. Below is what you should be following. Also, I suspect you are probably under estimating calories. Accuracy is key to weight loss and it's easy to get away with it when you are obese due to burning more calories naturally but as you get skinnier, you need to be more accurate. Additionally, I would up your protein intake a lot. Due to your fast weight loss and low protein and no weight training, you probably have lost a good amount of muscle. This is very common with large deficits. Lean body mass (muscle, tissue, bone, everything not fat) is key.

If you have 75+ lbs to lose 2 lbs/week is ideal,
    If you have 40-75 lbs to lose 1.5 lbs/week is ideal,
    If you have 25-40 lbs to lose 1 lbs/week is ideal,
    If you have 15 -25 lbs to lose 0.5 to 1.0 lbs/week is ideal, and
    If you have less than 15 lbs to lose 0.5 lbs/week is ideal.
  • psuLemon
    Options
    I'm just confused about the caloric intake. Like I said, I eat 1200 calories a day but if I go by the BMR calculator or the Harris-Benedict equation the numbers are much different. So do you eat LESS calories to lose weight or MORE??? Like you said I've eaten alot more food - for instance at Thanksgiving - thinking I would gain a couple of pounds and to my surprise, actually lost a pound. This just doesn't make sense.

larger deficits will cause more weight loss, but when you have large deficits, it leads to more muscle loss. And the last thing you want do post 40 or really any age is promote muscle loss. This is why we suggest weight training and higher protein diets. Weight training can prevent osteoporosis, give you a strong body to prevent injury and helps maintain or increase your metabolic rate.
  • VanishingMan
    Options
    So based on those new numbers and adjusting to my current weight I should be satisfied with a .5 to 1.0 lb per week loss.

Thanks for the info.
  • psuLemon
    Options
    So based on those new numbers and adjusting to my current weight I should be satisfied with a .5 to 1.0 lb per week loss.

Thanks for the info.

Adjust to around 1 lb per week, also adjust macros to around 40% carbs, 30% protein and 30% fats. Since you don't weigh foods, it will give you some room for error.
  • myurav
    myurav Posts: 165 Member
    Options

At 5'10", it doesn't sound like you're eating enough. Have you calculated your BMR (basal metabolic rate)? That number is the number that you should stay above, as it gives you the number of calories you burn just by being alive (excluding any movement you do during the day). It's the basic amount your body needs to function properly.

Along those lines:

You should stay above your BMR - you can find a BMR calculator here: http://scoobysworkshop.com/accurate-calorie-calculator/ or here: http://www.fat2fitradio.com/tools/bmr/
  • VanishingMan
    Options
    Hmmmm.....
    You have a BMR of 1800.94.

This is what I got for mine....
  • psuLemon
    Options
    Hmmmm.....
    You have a BMR of 1800.94.

This is what I got for mine....

That math would be this for you..

keep in mind that depending how long you have suppressed calories, your resting metabolic rate can/could have adapted.

= 1800 * 1.2 = 2160 - 500 = 1660 <--- your goal calories.
  • VanishingMan
    Options
    I am a bit confused then.

Why does MFP tell me my caloric intake goal is 1330?
  • psuLemon
    Options
    I am a bit confused then.

Why does MFP tell me my caloric intake goal is 1330?

What is your account set at right now for your per week weight loss?