Yummy McDonald's??

Options
Hamburger chef Jamie Oliver has won his long-fought battle against one of the largest fast food chains in the world – McDonalds. After Oliver showed how McDonald’s hamburgers are made, the franchise finally announced that it will change its recipe, and yet there was barely a peep about this in the mainstream, corporate media.

Oliver repeatedly explained to the public, over several years – in documentaries, television shows and interviews – that the fatty parts of beef are “washed” in ammonium hydroxide and used in the filling of the burger. Before this process, according to the presenter, the food is deemed unfit for human consumption. According to the chef and hamburger enthusiast, Jamie Oliver, who has undertaken a war against the fast food industry, “Basically, we’re taking a product that would be sold in the cheapest way for dogs, and after this process, is being given to human beings.”

Besides the low quality of the meat, the ammonium hydroxide is harmful to health. Oliver famously coined this the “the pink slime process.”

“Why would any sensible human being put meat filled with ammonia in the mouths of their children?” Oliver asked.

In one of his colorful demonstrations, Oliver demonstrates to children how nuggets are made. After selecting the best parts of the chicken, the remains (fat, skin and internal organs) are processed for these fried foods.

In reply to all of the bad press this process has received from Oliver, the company Arcos Dorados, the franchise manager for McDonalds in Latin America, said such a procedure is not practiced in their region. The same, it should be noted, applies to the product in Ireland and the UK, where they use meat from local suppliers.

In the United States, however, Burger King and Taco Bell had already abandoned the use of ammonia in their products. The food industry uses ammonium hydroxide as an anti-microbial agent in meats, which has allowed McDonald’s to use otherwise “inedible meat.”

Most disturbing of all is the horrifying fact that because ammonium hydroxide is considered part of the “component in a production procedure” by the USDA, consumers may not know when the chemical is in their food.

On the official website of McDonald’s, the company claims that their meat is cheap because, while serving many people every day, they are able to buy from their suppliers at a lower price, and offer the best quality products. But if “pink slime” was really the “best quality” that McDonalds can muster in the US, then why were they able do better in Latin America and Europe? More to the point, why can they apparently do better now in the United States?

These questions remains unanswered by the franchise which has denied that the decision to change the recipe is related to Jamie Oliver’s campaign. On the site, McDonald’s has admitted that they have abandoned the beef filler from its burger patties.

Replies

• SailorKnightWing
    SailorKnightWing Posts: 875 Member
    Options
    Where do you live that this wasn't all over the news when it happened? I couldn't get away from it.
  • April_KT
    April_KT Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    i just threw up a little..
  • jothekid
    jothekid Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    Where do you live that this wasn't all over the news when it happened? I couldn't get away from it.

This is the 1st time I see it...thought the news just came out! lol Maybe I was wrong then :P Only watch hockey on tv so yeah..
  • laurenpjokl
    laurenpjokl Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    I was about the argue with this, because I thought you were talking about the UK.

However, you're right, the standards in the US are much laxer.

"Pink Slime" is not so bad though. They're taking a product that would otherwise be waste and making it appetizing. If I remember correctly, the product isn't that unhealthy either. The current demand for meat is unsustainable, and the less food we waste, the better. If we insist on only eating chicken breast, we're going to need to raise, feed and kill a lot more chickens.
  • CarmineDeMarco
    CarmineDeMarco Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Not the first time that McDonald's has changed in response to media pressure: did you see the documentary "Supersize Me"?
  • jothekid
    Options
    I was about the argue with this, because I thought you were talking about the UK.

"Pink Slime" is not so bad though. They're taking a product that would otherwise be waste and making it appetizing. If I remember correctly, the product isn't that unhealthy either. The current demand for meat is unsustainable, and the less food we waste, the better. If we insist on only eating chicken breast, we're going to need to raise, feed and kill a lot more chickens.

Agreed...but still...eating fat/skin/internal organs nuggets doesn't sounds too appealing to me, whatever how good they can make them taste!
  • CarmineDeMarco
    CarmineDeMarco Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    i just threw up a little..

LOL, then April, do NOT watch any of the videos showing the "pink slime".
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    Hope my quarterpounder still tastes good when the recipe's changed :/
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    Options

Agreed...but still...eating fat/skin/internal organs nuggets doesn't sounds too appealing to me, whatever how good they can make them taste!

I eat chicken skin, fat and the organs............mmmmm heart, liver and gizzards. Just not ground up to look like a chicken nugget. blech.
  • sloth3toes
    sloth3toes Posts: 2,212 Member
    Options
    In for pink slime.

pink-slime.jpg
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,669 Member
    Options
    Sensationalism sells. Ammonium hydroxide has been used well before the obesity epidemic (and still currently) in just about every meat product as well as other foods we eat.
    To the OP, where's the link for this post since I truly doubt you wrote it all on your own?

Read this link:

http://www.foodinsight.org/Resources/Detail.aspx?topic=Questions_and_Answers_about_Ammonium_Hydroxide_Use_in_food_production

From the link, you'll see that it's used world wide and has had numerous testing done with it to determine safety.
    It's not like washing meat down with Pinesol.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • jennegan1
    jennegan1 Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    Hamburger chef Jamie Oliver has won his long-fought battle against one of the largest fast food chains in the world – McDonalds. After Oliver showed how McDonald’s hamburgers are made, the franchise finally announced that it will change its recipe, and yet there was barely a peep about this in the mainstream, corporate media.

Oliver repeatedly explained to the public, over several years – in documentaries, television shows and interviews – that the fatty parts of beef are “washed” in ammonium hydroxide and used in the filling of the burger. Before this process, according to the presenter, the food is deemed unfit for human consumption. According to the chef and hamburger enthusiast, Jamie Oliver, who has undertaken a war against the fast food industry, “Basically, we’re taking a product that would be sold in the cheapest way for dogs, and after this process, is being given to human beings.”

Besides the low quality of the meat, the ammonium hydroxide is harmful to health. Oliver famously coined this the “the pink slime process.”

“Why would any sensible human being put meat filled with ammonia in the mouths of their children?” Oliver asked.

In one of his colorful demonstrations, Oliver demonstrates to children how nuggets are made. After selecting the best parts of the chicken, the remains (fat, skin and internal organs) are processed for these fried foods.

In reply to all of the bad press this process has received from Oliver, the company Arcos Dorados, the franchise manager for McDonalds in Latin America, said such a procedure is not practiced in their region. The same, it should be noted, applies to the product in Ireland and the UK, where they use meat from local suppliers.

In the United States, however, Burger King and Taco Bell had already abandoned the use of ammonia in their products. The food industry uses ammonium hydroxide as an anti-microbial agent in meats, which has allowed McDonald’s to use otherwise “inedible meat.”

Most disturbing of all is the horrifying fact that because ammonium hydroxide is considered part of the “component in a production procedure” by the USDA, consumers may not know when the chemical is in their food.

On the official website of McDonald’s, the company claims that their meat is cheap because, while serving many people every day, they are able to buy from their suppliers at a lower price, and offer the best quality products. But if “pink slime” was really the “best quality” that McDonalds can muster in the US, then why were they able do better in Latin America and Europe? More to the point, why can they apparently do better now in the United States?

These questions remains unanswered by the franchise which has denied that the decision to change the recipe is related to Jamie Oliver’s campaign. On the site, McDonald’s has admitted that they have abandoned the beef filler from its burger patties.

this actually makes me laugh not at the study of course. I gave up Mcdonalds months ago. But because my co workers claim how theirs is the best compared to BK or Wendys.....Ive always opted out to spend that extra money on the real chicken any way
  • jothekid
    Options
    Sensationalism sells. Ammonium hydroxide has been used well before the obesity epidemic (and still currently) in just about every meat product as well as other foods we eat.
    To the OP, where's the link for this post since I truly doubt you wrote it all on your own?

Read this link:

http://www.foodinsight.org/Resources/Detail.aspx?topic=Questions_and_Answers_about_Ammonium_Hydroxide_Use_in_food_production

From the link, you'll see that it's used world wide and has had numerous testing done with it to determine safety.

IDEA Fitness member

here's the original link : http://fitlife.tv/hamburger-chef-jamie-oliver-proves-mcdonalds-burgers-unfit-for-human-consumption/
  • eugovogue
    Options
    I had a McDonald's burger in France once and it tasted like a burger you'd get at a fine steakhouse in the States.
    Sad.
  • delicious_cocktail
    delicious_cocktail Posts: 5,797 Member
    Options
    It is very important to cite a source when reproducing someone else's work in its entirety.
  • alywei37
    Options
    So gross, but so delicious.
  • SailorKnightWing
    SailorKnightWing Posts: 875 Member
    Options
    EDITED: Ugh, the image I wanted to post probably has too much language for the forums. It was someone on tumblr claiming the "pink slime" from chicken nuggets, when it was actually the freakin; Tubby Custard machine.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,669 Member
    Options

Read this link:

IDEA Fitness member

here's the original link : http://fitlife.tv/hamburger-chef-jamie-oliver-proves-mcdonalds-burgers-unfit-for-human-consumption/
    Thanks for that. And here's something to show that you can't believe everything a "celebrity chef" states.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zTXhaud1HOw

Be objective and not subjective in your research.

IDEA Fitness member
  • stumblinthrulife
    stumblinthrulife Posts: 2,558 Member
    Options
    I had a McDonald's burger in France once and it tasted like a burger you'd get at a fine steakhouse in the States.
    Sad.

While we're giving anecdotal evidence, I've eaten McDonalds in :

England
    France
    Germany
    Finland
    Denmark
    Argentina
    USA
    Netherlands
    Italy

I don't recall any of them tasting particularly better than any others. They were all reasonably priced, ok tasting burgers.
  • msmimi
    msmimi Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    This is why I cook at home more and more. These people wouldn't feed their product to their kids but feed it to ours. Shameful!