how the world looks at obese people

Options
Recently I realised that people are trying to be friends with me.....the same people who avoided me when I was fat.People tried to take advantage of my low self esteem.I was ridiculed.Lifting weights on the other hand made me feel stronger in all aspects of my life.It made me feel human.Now I will not stand disrespect from others.I get weird glances for lifting heavy.Obesity in my case resulted from emotional issues.Sometimes I am disillutioned by this world.

Replies

• MickeyBoo
    MickeyBoo Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Having something 'different' about yourself will always show people in their true colours. It's a sad world we live in that so many opinions and judgements are formed on the basis of appearance, but those people aren't worth knowing and you're better off without them involved in your life.
  • DanaNichelle
    DanaNichelle Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I have experienced the samething.It is nerve wrecking. Skinny friends treat me the same and heavier friends treat me as I'm different now.
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    It's possible that people interact with you differently now because you're more confident and assertive. That's not to say that there isn't any prejudice against obese people, just that when you go from being obese and having low self esteem, to being leaner, fitter and a lot more confident, more has changed than simply lack of obesity. I've known several obese people in my life who are popular and well liked (and some of them were very obese, not just a bit chubby), and they're all confident and very assertive. I've also known a lot of non-obese people who lack confidence and are not that popular. So there is more going on here than just judgement based on appearance.
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,473 Member
    Options
    well, yep, its true.
    most people are grossed out by fat people.
  • aakaakaak
    aakaakaak Posts: 1,240 Member
    Options
    People don't really treat me any different now than before. The only difference is nobody mentioned my weight before. Now everybody does.
  • Urban_Princess
    Urban_Princess Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    While I agree with neandermagnon (I am a shy and timid overweight person...due to my weight of course), there are instances where people underestimate my ability. I played soccer competitively for years, and yet they always pick my skinnier sister over me assuming that she is the better of the two. I'm not saying that she isn't better than me, but when they would rather have the skinny person on a sports team then the fat person who has skill/knowledge it really bothers me.
  • Gearjammer71
    Gearjammer71 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I have not experienced a lot of actual mistreatment over my weight, but I have noticed that more people want to include me in things now that I've lost weight. It doesn't really strike me as any sort of bias though, I think that they are genuinely interested in the transformation.
  • papetto
    papetto Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    People always treat me differently depending on my size. But I would just as easily befriend someone overweight or obese as I would someone who was normal or underweight. To each his own. I don't make judgements based on peoples' size.
  • DrMAvDPhD
    DrMAvDPhD Posts: 2,097 Member
    Options
    Recently I realised that people are trying to be friends with me.....the same people who avoided me when I was fat.People tried to take advantage of my low self esteem.I was ridiculed.Lifting weights on the other hand made me feel stronger in all aspects of my life.It made me feel human.Now I will not stand disrespect from others.I get weird glances for lifting heavy.Obesity in my case resulted from emotional issues.Sometimes I am disillutioned by this world.

Honestly, your new found confidence may be contributing to this new interest more than you realize.

And I will be frank with you, while emotional issues may have contributed to your obesity, you shouldn't completely absolve yourself from responsibility. If you take on the responsibility for overeating, you will take away the excuse next time you are having a hard emotional time. Most people who successfully lose weight gain it back.