""Lifting heavy"", what does it mean to you (WOMAN)

Options
I LOVE the muscular look. I use to be fit and firm. Not anymore. I wish I could go back there, but I'm lost (it's been 10 years...)

Tell me more about your routine.

What do you do, how heavy do you lift, how many times a week and for how long?

How much do you eat (with or without macros)?

Inspire me!

Thanks!

Replies

• micheleb15
    micheleb15 Posts: 1,418 Member
    Options
    Just started Stronglifts after doing 5/3/1. I like it better.

Lift 3 times a week, starting low again, but my PRs are in my profile.

1600 calories a day

I haven't taken photos/measurements since August, so I am not much of an inspiration in that sense.
  • jwdieter
    jwdieter Posts: 2,582 Member
    Options
    Not a woman, but lots of related discussion in this thread, so thought OP might find it interesting:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/978565--lifting-heavy-what-does-that-really-mean-for-women
  • jmzz1
    jmzz1 Posts: 670 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • Phoenix_Warrior
    Phoenix_Warrior Posts: 1,633 Member
    Options
    I started with just a random routine (silly me). Ive been doing 5/3/1 for almost 2 months, lifting for 6. I eat 1550-1700 calories, depending on the day. I wouldn't call me an inspiration either but like you, I love muscles! I lift 3x a week. My 1 RM are tiny compared to some of the other lifting ladies on here but here I go.

90 lb bench
    70 lb row
    110 lb squat
    140 lb deadlift
    60 lb overhead press

I aim for 1g of protein per pound of lean body mass.
  • sashanicole88
    sashanicole88 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    would love to know, too!
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    I LOVE the muscular look. I use to be fit and firm. Not anymore. I wish I could go back there, but I'm lost (it's been 10 years...)
    anyone can do it- it just takes some time and dedication!!
    Tell me more about your routine.
    I life 4-6 times a week.- My program is based around compound and I use accessory work to fill in the gaps.
    I dance 4-6 a week- and attend class 1-3 times a week (for dance)
    What do you do, how heavy do you lift, how many times a week and for how long?
    Monday- Deads- Lunges Box jumps
    Tuesdays-Class OR Bench- flys and somethign else I can't remember
    Wed- Off
    Thursday- OFF (sometimes- sometimes it's quick HIIT Workout)
    Friday- Back Squats or OHP/Shoulder/Back
    Saturday- Front squats- BB Glute Raises- Hammy raises
    Sunday-Back- lats- back- lats

roughly- it's kind of a floating schedule- my BF's weekend is typically wed/thur but it changes- like this week it's Sunday Monday- he's out of town so I try to dedicate those days to him instead of being at the work all day THEN the gym for 2 hrs
    I also have a lifting buddy who I do not have a full schedule with- so we try to work around each other and unless I did dead lifts on Monday and he wants to do them on Tuesday- normally one of us will shift our work out to accomadate.

but that's roughly what I do.
    How much do you eat (with or without macros)?
    I'm bulking- so I eat between 2000-3000 calories- or I"m trying too LOL
    Inspire me!

you can't rely on inspiration- you just have to do it- last night it was freezing cold- I had work to do- and I was fully of warm chili.

But come 8 PM- I had to drag my *kitten* off the chair and go work out- no inspiration- no motivation- I just did it because it's what NEEDS to be done. You cant' rely on outside sources- or even your own enthusiasm- it's easy when youre excited- but you need to do it when you aren't. The people who are successful are the people who show up when tehy are unmotivated- because that's what they do- they just make it happen.

If you are new to lifting-
    Starting Strength
    Strong Lifts
    Strong Curves
    New Rules of Lifting (For women)

Any one of those will push you in the right direction.

Now go forth and be fabulous
  • Leadfoot_Lewis
    Leadfoot_Lewis Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options
    Lifting heavy is not gender specific.

Personally, it's a weight that I can lift for 5 reps with good form. If I can do more than 5 reps time to add more weight to the bar.

I lift 4-5 x a week

I eat 2800 kcal - 40/30/30 for Macros
  • Saramelie
    Saramelie Posts: 308 Member
    Options

Personally, it's a weight that I can lift for 5 reps with good form. If I can do more than 5 reps time to add more weight to the bar.

I lift 4-5 x a week

I know lifting heavy is not gender specific, but a male giving me his numbers will not help me have an idea of what I can aim for, sorry! :-P
    Thanks for your answers ladies
  • n_unocero
    n_unocero Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    Lifting heavy is not a number. What's heavy to me and heavy to you might be totally different even though we are both women.

To me, lifting heavy means struggling to get the weights up on the 7th or 8th rep whatever the weight may be. Some days I can lift more than others, but regardless of the actually number on the weights, if I can get more than 9 or 10 reps then I need to add more weight.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options

I lift 4-5 x a week

I know lifting heavy is not gender specific, but a male giving me his numbers will not help me have an idea of what I can aim for, sorry! :-P

yes- but I can dead lift almost 300- my BF would be hard pressed to dead lift 135.

Literally gender means nothing- it's all about training and rep range.
  • Mia_RagazzaTosta
    Mia_RagazzaTosta Posts: 4,885 Member
    Options
    Wendler 5/3/1 - 4 days/week

1600 cals

Squat 125, Deadlift 160, Bench 95, OHP 65
  • Melissa_mojo
    Melissa_mojo Posts: 156 Member
    Options

1600 cals

I keep seeing 5/3/1 whats that mean?
  • Mia_RagazzaTosta
    Mia_RagazzaTosta Posts: 4,885 Member
    Options

1600 cals

I keep seeing 5/3/1 whats that mean?

5 reps/3 reps/1 rep, but there is more to it than that.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Not a woman, but lots of related discussion in this thread, so thought OP might find it interesting:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/978565--lifting-heavy-what-does-that-really-mean-for-women
    This is a great link. "Lifting heavy" is about as vague and useless as "eating clean". The post that you linked describes things really well.
  • micheleb15
    micheleb15 Posts: 1,418 Member
    Options

I lift 4-5 x a week

Your goals shouldn't be based on any of our numbers; male or female. I can squat over 1.5 times my body weight, but that shouldn't be your goal. I can barely bench 95, but that's good for me. I don't want to feel sh*tty comparing myself to those who can bench their weight.

I get what you are saying, you just wanted to get an average to compare your strength, but don't allow that to drive you. Achieve your own goals and break your own records.
  • Saucy_lil_Minx
    Saucy_lil_Minx Posts: 3,302 Member
    Options
    I lift heavy 3 x week. Currently following NROL4W program. It has good solid info, and has a good structure.

I eat around 1825 calories a day, and more on work days. It is about 300 calorie deficit for me.

I am putting no limits of how much I can lift. I will keep adding weights till my body simply says enough.
    Most of the time my grip fails long before the rest of my body. If I find my grip fails I set the weight down have a short rest period pick it back up and finish my set.

I love lift it is very cathartic, and allows me to let go of the days stress! love seeing the numbers go up as I add weight, and knowing I am strong, confident, and beautiful because of it. Most of all I love knowing it is all about me when I'm lifting, everything else takes a backseat while I'm on the floor.

I am a firm believer that you are what you want to be! I want to be strong, and healthy. I do not want to be a # on a scale, as a matter of fact I have not looked at the scale in 10 weeks now at least.
  • Leadfoot_Lewis
    Leadfoot_Lewis Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options

I know lifting heavy is not gender specific, but a male giving me his numbers will not help me have an idea of what I can aim for, sorry! :-

Wasn't trying to be a punk - just making sure. :wink: There's always posts on here about "woman" specific lifting programs, supplements, you name it.

Anyway, let yourself and your progress be the judge of how heavy a weight is. I just don't see the point of asking a bunch of strangers who may or may not be truthful (and for that matter may or may not be women!) what they lift.
  • jwdieter
    jwdieter Posts: 2,582 Member
    Options
    This might help provide some general frames of reference for OP:
    http://www.exrx.net/Testing/WeightLifting/StrengthStandards.html
  • Phoenix_Warrior
    Phoenix_Warrior Posts: 1,633 Member
    Options

I lift 4-5 x a week

yes- but I can dead lift almost 300- my BF would be hard pressed to dead lift 135.

So much this! ^ ♥♥ I love ladies that out lift guys. Js.
  • Saramelie
    Saramelie Posts: 308 Member
    Options

I lift 4-5 x a week

Ok, maybe I was not clear in my post.... I DON`T KNOW WHERE TO START. I don`t want to hurt myself. So I guess I should start light for 5 reps and keep pilling on the weight for as long as it`s still too easy and that I can do more than 5 reps??