Calories Burned on Stationary Bike

I just started working out again. The university from which I've since graduated had a free gym with very nice equipment that allowed you to input height and weight to calculate calories burned. Now all I have is a very old exercise bike. I've been using this stationary bike for a few days now and each time the monitor on it says that I'm pedaling consistently over 30 mph and that I'm burning 900+ calories over the course of my 33-34 minute workouts.

Obviously, this can't be correct. I need to know how to log my workout on MFP. Since they provide no descriptions of the levels of effort for stationary biking, which I should pick. I've been selecting "Stationary Bike - moderate effort," but I'm not sure if my effort is moderate or vigorous.

It feels like I'm pedaling extremely fast (though not 30+ mph like the bike indicates), and my face, chest, and back are very sweaty after working out, though my face isn't literally "dripping" sweat.

Does anyone have any objective measure of my level of effort? I'd even be willing to stop and check my heart rate periodically for a few workouts to gauge my level of effort if anyone knows how MFP scales their levels of effort.

Replies

• Anyone?
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    we don't have near the information to accurately tell you how many calories you burned. credit yourself with 300 calories and call it a day
  • tidesong
    tidesong Posts: 451 Member
    Could you get your own HRM? That would help you figure out what you burned....
  • felcandy
    felcandy Posts: 228 Member
    Yep, get an HRM with a chest strap and you will never ask that question again :D just think of it as an investment. You can get a great FT7 on amazon for 65-75 bucks
  • JamericanBoy
    JamericanBoy Posts: 484 Member
    Runtastic is an app with a pretty large and accurate exercise database. You can chose from several type of evercises and put in your age, weight and gender ant it will give you the calories burned and synch directly to MFP. I check their numbers againt my HRM and it's pretty close.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    we don't have near the information to accurately tell you how many calories you burned. credit yourself with 300 calories and call it a day

This.
  • candiceh3
    candiceh3 Posts: 379 Member
    I am a 5'7 woman, 160 lbs, and a moderate-vigorous half hour ride burns 230 cals (by my HRM). It seems to correlate well to my weight loss - that is, I lose what I expect to lose when I log 230 cals per half hour of stationary bike riding.

Hope that helps somewhat.

YMMV
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    ...it says that I'm pedaling consistently over 30 mph and that I'm burning 900+ calories over the course of my 33-34 minute workouts.

Holy ****!

:laugh:

That kind of burn would mean you were laying down over 2000 watts of power - time to go win some Tour de France titles! On a road bike, that would mean breaking the speed limit on all roads other than Interstate Highways.

I second the motion above - just call it 300 calories.
  • felcandy
    felcandy Posts: 228 Member
    OK get a working chest strap and only use it for cardio and you won't ask it again. Excuse me.
  • I just started working out again. The university from which I've since graduated had a free gym with very nice equipment that allowed you to input height and weight to calculate calories burned. Now all I have is a very old exercise bike. I've been using this stationary bike for a few days now and each time the monitor on it says that I'm pedaling consistently over 30 mph and that I'm burning 900+ calories over the course of my 33-34 minute workouts.

Obviously, this can't be correct. I need to know how to log my workout on MFP. Since they provide no descriptions of the levels of effort for stationary biking, which I should pick. I've been selecting "Stationary Bike - moderate effort," but I'm not sure if my effort is moderate or vigorous.

It feels like I'm pedaling extremely fast (though not 30+ mph like the bike indicates), and my face, chest, and back are very sweaty after working out, though my face isn't literally "dripping" sweat.

Does anyone have any objective measure of my level of effort? I'd even be willing to stop and check my heart rate periodically for a few workouts to gauge my level of effort if anyone knows how MFP scales their levels of effort.

Well, it might be late but I think you need to change your stationary bike and get a new and advanced which shows correct results for your hard work. I bought a stationary bike from http://spinning.com/ :smile: which has got advanced features like heart rate, blood pressure, burned calories, weight loss, distance covered, total time of workout. I think you should get one, instead of pedaling vigorously get a bike which helps you get results with proper and a limited workout.