How do I stop subconciously sabotaging myself?

I recently came to the conclusion that I subconciously sabotage myself. I was on here a few months ago, doing well and then all of a sudden I stopped. I thought long and hard about it and I realized that as.soon as I started getting more male attention, I couldn't stick to what had been working for me. I stsrted eating more and more, and exercise ...well, I stopped. So, through self analysis I realize that I subconciously do it so I won't have to turn down guys because I can't get out due to no sitter time and time agakn, or I don't have money for nice clothes to go out. I'm posting this because I'm getting close to the weight I was at last time and I don.t want it to happen again. I know I just have to step away from the food and go for a walk or whatever, but its like theres a lil part of me that just wants to snack.

Replies

• lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    bump for the replies...i tend to do this too. Not for the same reasons as you, but the results are the same.
  • MsMimidoll
    MsMimidoll Posts: 249 Member
    Well, at least I'm nit the only one.
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    You are adding a lot of complicated layers to the issue. It boils down to - Do you want to lose weight? Do you want to be healthy? For yourself first and foremost? And for your child/children? What's all this buzz about guys and dates and babysitters. Sounds like a lot of excuses. Decide how bad you want it and go for it!
  • Our biggest enemies are our selves. Just walk and think. It'll pass
  • cuinboston2014
    cuinboston2014 Posts: 848 Member
    For me it's a fear of the unknown. I don't know what I'll look like or feel like at my goal weight. I struggle with my body so much more now than I did 100 pounds heavier and that weighs on me so much.

When I'm lean and toned I don't know who i will be so i tend to shy away from it... subconsciously as well. I have just started saying "F it" because when I don't know the outcome it can be something amazing that I'll be missing out on.

It sounds like you might not have the confidence to be in a new body and get the attention. I'm sure you notice more attention in general the smaller you get and it does take confidence to be in a new, foreign body. Push through. You will be glad you did.
  • me too
  • Same here! but starting from tomorrow, i'll be dedicated! my tip: write down everything. best would be if you calculate the amount of calories in each thing you eat before you actually eat it. it will help because you know what and how much you should be eating.
    hope this helps.
    Livia
  • lheaton
    lheaton Posts: 51 Member
    You are not alone although I don't think many people understand unless they have the same problem. I get it and do the EXACT same thing. When I thought about how I got to the weight I was in the first place, it was along the same lines. Now, I do great and think I've kicked the beast, and before you know it - BOOM - self-sabotage!

Maybe those who say it's just an excuse are right, but I don't think so. I think it is an emotional/mental issue and I have not figured out how to overcome it yet. I am working on it and don't plan to give up, but it is definitely a struggle. One thing I have started that you might want to consider is hypnosis at bedtime. Jody Whiteley is my favorite, but I have found a weight loss series that I am giving a try. It's free and you can find it at liberationinmind.com. I'm on the 1st of 3 sessions that you listen to for 7 nights in a row. I've done it 3 nights now so I can't report any results yet, but what do we have to lose (other than weight)??? :-)
  • healthygreek
    healthygreek Posts: 2,137 Member
    I just started concentrating on the great health aspects of weightloss instead of my looks and others reactions to my looks and by golly-it worked! AND the best payoff for me is no more high LDL and I feel amazing for an almost 60 year old!
  • MsMimidoll
    Thank you for the replies, yes it might be considered an excuse, but its also mental...I couldn't ut everything into words, but it's an rmotional thing. I have been a lot skinnier before and I kmow how I looked(at that time) I have issues with not allowing myself to be happy and thats what it basically is.
  • healthygreek
    healthygreek Posts: 2,137 Member
    Thank you for the replies, yes it might be considered an excuse, but its also mental...I couldn't ut everything into words, but it's an rmotional thing. I have been a lot skinnier before and I kmow how I looked(at that time) I have issues with not allowing myself to be happy and thats what it basically is.
    I know exactly how you feel!
    I truly hope you come to believe you are worth every bit of health, beauty and joy in life just the same as anyone else.
    We have only one life on this earth-please do all you can to fully live it!
  • MsMimidoll
    I know exactly how you feel!
    I truly hope you come to believe you are worth every bit of health, beauty and joy in life just the same as anyone else.
    We have only one life on this earth-please do all you can to fully live it!
    I'm trying...or maybe trying to be trying....