Help with foods!

Options
So I would like advice on good/bad foods to eat for my weight loss journey. And I want to know if you are strict, or if you have a littel treat here and there. Here is an example day of my food log:

Breakfast: coffee with vanilla creamer
2 eggs, over medium
1 piece of whole wheat toast, with half a wedge of Laughing Cow cinnamon cream cheese spread

Lunch: Baked tilapia with a piece of cheddar cheese melted on top
A small (serving size) bowl of homemade chicken soup (includes chicken broth, fresh mushrooms, chicken, and tomatoes)
A serving of carrots with a serving of ranch dressing

Dinner: salad with chicken, italian dressing, and cheese
also a serving size of whatever I cook for my husband (meatloaf, tacos, casseroles, chili, etc)
broccoli

Snacks: rice cakes with pb
mandarin oranges

Does this sound like a decent food diary? It adds up to less then 2000 cals. I'm losing weight pretty slow, so I'm looking for insight on if I need to tweak my diet.

Replies

• Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    There are no good foods or bad foods. Just eat within your calorie budget. If you can fit ice cream into your day then eat ice cream. You don't have to live on chicken and steamed broccoli to lose weight.
  • baileycallen
    Options
    There are no good foods or bad foods. Just eat within your calorie budget. If you can fit ice cream into your day then eat ice cream. You don't have to live on chicken and steamed broccoli to lose weight.

I always believed "everything in moderation", but I have only lost 5lbs in the last month after drastically dropping my caloric intake. So I am just confused as to why. I have also been working out.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    You've lost 5 lbs in a month and you're complaining? That's over a pound a week. I think the issue is you have unrealistic expectations.
  • forevermaryb
    forevermaryb Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    There is nothing "wrong" with the foods you've listed, but how are you measuring? A piece of cheese can mean anywhere from 50 calories to 1000 calories, depending on your definition of "piece". Weigh and measure all your food and make sure it fits within your calories for the day. You're on the right track since you've lost weight already, but you really need to log accurately.

eta: I took a peek at your diary and see that you do weigh and measure your food. Maybe watch sodium and processed foods. Cut some portion sizes where you can (such as the meatloaf).
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    5 pounds is great. Be patient and don't be too strict on yourself because that can backfire and spur a binge. As stated before no "bad" food. I only see it as being stuff I should be eating more or less of.
  • kneega
    kneega Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    No such thing as good and bad food. I bulked from 129 to 152 eating mc donalds, KFC and foods high in sugar. I do not eat any fruit or vegetables at all (srs) and my body fat has never been above 12%
  • pahock
    pahock Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I'm certainly no expert but I'll share what I've been doing. I've lost 9 lbs in two weeks. I eat 1200 calories a day. I try to stay away from processed foods and eat as "clean" as possible. This is not going to be a lifestyle I will continue after the first 30 days. Its way too restrictive. I would cut back on the cheese and fats. And as someone else suggested, weigh everything. Portion control is key.