I keep binging - someone help me?

Ever since December has come around ive been binging a lot, like tonight I had about 10 quality streets, more chocolate, and then I had 3 pancakes and nutella! I ate super healthy during the day though so I don't understand why im doing it. I feel so sick and fat whenever I eat after my dinner but I just cant help myself. I don't know what to do with myself! Does anybody know what I can do to stop myself eating after dinner and stop binging all together? I feel like all my good work is going to waste :(

Replies

• diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    First thing to look at is to make sure you're eating a reasonable amount of calories and not cutting anything out of your diet. If your body isn't getting enough calories or enough of a certain nutrient you're more likely to binge. We can't see your diary, so I have no idea if this is an issue for you.

Other than that, you have to figure out why you're binging. Are you boredom eating? Is it stress? Emotions? Hormones? If you can figure out why you're binging then you can work on redirecting yourself.

Drink plenty of fluids. Stay busy. Try to take up a hobby that keeps your hands busy. Get plenty of sleep. And work on any emotions that make you binge.
  • forevermaryb
    forevermaryb Posts: 108 Member
    Are you getting enough calories during the day, with protein and fat to keep you satiated? If you are eating too little, by night time, your body is starving! If you are eating enough during the day, then you are eating by habit or boredom or stress at night. Change your after dinner routine to include a walk if you can or some other activity that keeps you busy.
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Make sure you're eating enough food in the first place. Then, make sure you're getting proper amounts of fats and proteins. Then, make sure you aren't denying yourself all of the foods you live, causing you to binge on them later.

If all of those things are good, look at why you're eating so much of that food. Is it because it's delicious and too tempting? Is it because you're still hungry? Is it because you're stressed or bored? You can stop having it in the house, you can work out to eat more, you can find better ways to deal with stress, and you can find things to do so you won't be bored.

And log during your binges to keep yourself accountable.
  • Ed98043
    Ed98043 Posts: 1,333 Member
    1. Maybe you're not eating enough during the day and you're hungry. How many calories per day are you set at? Do you eat back exercise calories? Are you getting enough protein - like your weight (in lbs) in protein grams or close to it?

2. I find that I'm hungry in the evening no matter how much I eat all day, so I save most of my calories for dinner and after-dinner.

3. Why do you have all that sugary stuff in your house at all? It's a whole lot easier to resist what's not there, meaning that you would have to make a decision to binge and then physically go out and buy it. Not that I've never done that, but I find that once I'm home for the evening and changed into jammies it would take so much effort to go out and get binge food that I'm either too lazy, or have enough time to talk myself out of it. So I eat something healthy instead because that's all there is on hand.
  • ktluex
    ktluex Posts: 3 Member
    I've found cutting out all artificial sweeteners helped to get rid of my sugar cravings. I love chocolate but I now only eat a small amount of plain dark, good quality chocolate (nothing artificial added) when I feel like I "need" some chocolate.

Make sure you're getting enough nutrient rich calories during the day and have a nice cup of mint tea at night instead.
  • Amitysk
    Amitysk Posts: 705 Member
    As in your other post, please talk to an adult and get some counseling. You are on a dangerous and slippery slope.
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    The OP is under age and trying to lose 4 lbs. I don't think our advice is really relevant.
  • LoggingForLife
    LoggingForLife Posts: 504 Member
    Get a good therapist....really.