i ran for 5 minutes solid!

Options
i know, not a big deal to a lot of people, but for me, this was a HUGE accomplishment! i started up c25k last spring and pretty much hit a road block when i had to run for 5 minutes. i never could make it and got really frustrated, and between that and the summer weather...i gave it up. but i've been doing a ton of classes at my gym since august 25, some which incorporate a little bit of running - not a whole lot, but some. i guess that small amount of training combined with all of the other activity we do really helped me out!

i was early for a class today and hopped up on a treadmill just to give it a go, and before i knew it, 5 *whole* minutes and passed! i could have gone longer, but that would have made me late for step class! *so* excited! i'm going to re-start my c25k training because it just blew my mind that i'm *finally* ready to move on, and it came out of nowhere! loving this! just wanted to share!

Replies

• jhandley
    jhandley Posts: 118
    Options
    that is AWESOME! :-) keep up the good work!
  • mommacarrie423
    Options
    THATS GREAT!!! CONGRATULATIONS!!! I'm working up to that myself!! You just Inspired me!!
  • nickiejohnson
    Options
    Thats really great!!!!!! Good job!!! I'm in the same boat, me + running= not the best of friends! :P Keep it up and your resistance will build and maybe soon you'll be able to get up to 10, then 15 and just keep going!!
    :D
  • karensoxfan
    karensoxfan Posts: 902 Member
    Options
    Congratulations!!! You'll be running that 5K before you know it! :)

I tried running recently too, and surprised myself that I could go 2 miles (outdoors -- no idea if I could do the same on a treadmill or not) without stopping to walk. My legs killed the next day though.
  • elainecroft
    elainecroft Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    Congrats!!!! Running for 5 minutes for the first time is a huge accomplishment and you should celebrate your success!! :)
  • emalay
    emalay Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    You will be surprised at how quickly you will go from 5 minutes to way longer. I started out the same as you and now am running up to 45 minutes!
    It is a great sense of accomplishment isn't it...WAY TO GO!!
  • tex43
    tex43 Posts: 229
    Options
    that's awesome,I remember that feeling to,keep going and see just how much you can get,I went on to other exercises and hadn't been on the treadmill for awhile and tried it again the other day,3 minutes liked to of killed me.My daughter and I last winter were running together to get her ready for boot camp,we got up to like 3 miles at one time,but all has been lost,guess you got to keep it up lol!:happy:

Good job!!!!
  • mommaski4
    mommaski4 Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    That is awesome! And I KNOW it is a big accomplishment. I only started trying to run 2-1/2 months ago. I can comfortably do five minutes now and am so happy about that. I know how happy it makes you feel.

You go Girl!
  • tarapin
    tarapin Posts: 169
    Options
    WOW, that's awesome! I just started c25k on Wednesday and I love this post....CONGRATS!!!
  • Dan54
    Dan54 Posts: 15
    Options
    Congratulations!!!
  • ArchyJill
    ArchyJill Posts: 548 Member
    Options
    Doesn't that feel great?!?! Congrats!
  • undercover
    undercover Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Well done, it is an awesome feeling! Some days I can, some days I can't - and I can't wait to say that I can run for 5 minutes no matter what day it is :)
  • plumeria913
    Options
    that's great! keep it up - each milestone is a victory :) . . . . I couldn't do one mile in Sept now I can do three!
  • Amarillo_NDN
    Amarillo_NDN Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    I couldn't run for 5 minutes, congrats
  • Certified_Femail
    Certified_Femail Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    o wow no i totally understand how you must have felt. I think it is a huge acomplishment. Congrats. I am looking forward to doing more soon. Getting over a injury from work that has slowed me down but im improving. May the force be with you lmao
  • TabiHerbalifeCoach
    TabiHerbalifeCoach Posts: 691 Member
    Options
    WONDERFUL!!!
  • LoserCruiser
    Options
    Awesome!
  • orange_avocado
    Options
    Congrats! You never know what you can accomplish until you challenge yourself!

And I agree with emalay - I started out barely being about to run 1 minute with C25K. Now I can run 30, 40 min at a time! It really does work - keep with it!
  • superhippiechik
    superhippiechik Posts: 1,044 Member
    Options
    Good Job! I needed to hear a success story like that today!
  • jhoyett
    jhoyett Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Being a non-runner, I can definitely understand your excitement. Keep up the good work and be sure to let me know when you're running 5K!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!