Beauty standards in other countries?

Options
Just a interesting topic. In North America it's known that attractive people get far in life. Better jobs, more money, more dates. Does anyone know if it's the same in other countries? and what does everyone think about plastic surgery? do people who go under the knife, are they to fake, to insecure?

Replies

• ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    I actually think in some countries the standards are much greater especially if you look at brazil, thailand, and korea. China and japan are catching up too especially in the number of plastic surgeries. Some people are literally dying in these countries to look a certain way.
  • WhisperAnne
    Options
    I did hear that in South Korea they have one of the highest rates of plastic surgery.
  • VelvetMorning
    VelvetMorning Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    I actually think in some countries the standards are much greater especially if you look at brazil, thailand, and korea. China and japan are catching up too especially in the number of plastic surgeries. Some people are literally dying in these countries to look a certain way.

Truth. A big thing in China is to get your eyelids removed (or something) to make the eye appear larger. Asian women as a whole are very insecure because they use Western standards of beauty which generally don't apply to their genetics (light hair, eyes, large breasts/behinds, Caucasian skin tones, etc). Coincidentally, it seems Western women shoot for an Asian look (very thin, straight, long hair), lol. Life!

Personally, I don't feel women (or men) who have plastic surgery are 'insecure'. I attach negative connotations to the word insecure; so perhaps that is why. I would get my breasts done, I'm not insecure about them, I just feel they could be better and when my bravery builds up I'll have them done to have more confidence, but I'm def. not shaming my boobs for what they are. They're cuties and I'm proud! I'd just be proudER if I could wear some really awesome shirts. :P

Edited: Poorly worded. I guess in some cases yes, insecurity. In my case, it wouldn't be. More of a case by case basis thing.
  • SerenaFisher
    SerenaFisher Posts: 2,170 Member
    Options
    Being attractive doesn't always mean you will go far, but I am sure it helps. After all some professions that are all about idealized beauty have people that are paid much better then most jobs.
  • just_Jennie1
    Options
    There is a ton of reasons why someone would choose to go under the knife for plastic surgery. I'll be honest. When I get old and my face starts to fall I might consider a lift.

As for plastic surgery meaning someone is fake: not sure about that but I have seen a lot of people with a ton of plastic surgery and they look just that: Plastic. It's horrible.

I have also seen a lot of plastic surgery - boob jobs, tummy tucks, lips done -- that has been done so horrifically that I would never ever ever go to these people's doctors for it. *shudders*
  • VelvetMorning
    Options
    There is a ton of reasons why someone would choose to go under the knife for plastic surgery. I'll be honest. When I get old and my face starts to fall I might consider a lift.

As for plastic surgery meaning someone is fake: not sure about that but I have seen a lot of people with a ton of plastic surgery and they look just that: Plastic. It's horrible.

I have also seen a lot of plastic surgery - boob jobs, tummy tucks, lips done -- that has been done so horrifically that I would never ever ever go to these people's doctors for it. *shudders*

paula_lindberg_ruby_realgirl_american_mary.jpg
  • WhisperAnne
    Options

Truth. A big thing in China is to get your eyelids removed (or something) to make the eye appear larger. Asian women as a whole are very insecure because they use Western standards of beauty which generally don't apply to their genetics (light hair, eyes, large breasts/behinds, Caucasian skin tones, etc). Coincidentally, it seems Western women shoot for an Asian look (very thin, straight, long hair), lol. Life!

Personally, I don't feel women (or men) who have plastic surgery are 'insecure'. I attach negative connotations to the word insecure; so perhaps that is why. I would get my breasts done, I'm not insecure about them, I just feel they could be better and when my bravery builds up I'll have them done to have more confidence, but I'm def. not shaming my boobs for what they are. They're cuties and I'm proud! I'd just be proudER if I could wear some really awesome shirts. :P

Edited: Poorly worded. I guess in some cases yes, insecurity. In my case, it wouldn't be. More of a case by case basis thing.

Well said! I don't have any opinions on plastic surgery honestly. If someone wants to do it go ahead, as long as you do it for you. I would get a tummy tuck and breast implants. Because It would make me happy. There are people who do go to far, but hey it's their life/body.
  • WhisperAnne
    Options

*shudder* I have heard of horror stories! this is why if I ever get anything done I'll make sure it's by a well respected surgeon with a lot of credentials!
  • WhisperAnne
    Options

That woman is an example of someone who went to far! how scary!
  • digitalbill
    digitalbill Posts: 1,410 Member
    Options
    I have traveled around the world while in the Military and, on a scale of 1 - 10, America has a lot more 7s and 8s then most other countries.
    Around the world, they are either 2s and 3s or, 9s and 10s. Not many "OK" looking girls.
    Either really pretty or really ugly.
    America has a lot more "pretty" girls. Not ugly but, not supermodel either.
    And I will come right out and say it, Czech Republic by far has the most beautiful women I have ever seen in my life.
  • just_Jennie1
    Options

*shudder* I have heard of horror stories! this is why if I ever get anything done I'll make sure it's by a well respected surgeon with a lot of credentials!

Indeed.

I honestly know only one person (my best friend) who has had breast implants and did NOT lose any sensation. In fact, she had zero sensation in her nipples before and now they're wicked sensitive. My other friend has no feeling on the outside of each boob. If she were to go back for another surgery she risks losing complete feeling.

Any surgery where they remove your nipple, put it aside and then stitch it back on is NOT something I would do. Yeah, I've got little boobs and tops my husband buys me would look much better on a big chested girl but I work with what I got. LOL.

I think everyone wants what they don't have.

Oh, and don't get me started on "tummy tucks" yeah. THAT'S something that sounds cute but isn't.
  • just_Jennie1
    Options
    And I will come right out and say it, Czech Republic by far has the most beautiful women I have ever seen in my life.

Romania too.
  • WhisperAnne
    Options

Indeed.

I honestly know only one person (my best friend) who has had breast implants and did NOT lose any sensation. In fact, she had zero sensation in her nipples before and now they're wicked sensitive. My other friend has no feeling on the outside of each boob. If she were to go back for another surgery she risks losing complete feeling.

Any surgery where they remove your nipple, put it aside and then stitch it back on is NOT something I would do. Yeah, I've got little boobs and tops my husband buys me would look much better on a big chested girl but I work with what I got. LOL.

I think everyone wants what they don't have.

Oh, and don't get me started on "tummy tucks" yeah. THAT'S something that sounds cute but isn't.

What about tummy tucks? honestly I'd like one one day because even though my stomach is mainly flat I have a little pouch in my lower belly that never goes away.
  • WhisperAnne
    Options

Romania too.

I find that there are beautiful women from every race, but I think Asian/white/and mixed woman are stunning.
  • j6o4
    j6o4 Posts: 871 Member
    Options
    IMO I think it's only okay to get plastic surgery if you have some type of deformity and just want to look normal. I don't think I would every marry a chick who went under the knife or got a boob job just took look more attractive, kind of says something about their personality.
  • VelvetMorning
    Options
    Poor Tara Reid @ tummy tucks
  • zagon_the_ultimate
    zagon_the_ultimate Posts: 115 Member
    Options

Is that....a mask?! It looks like plastic, like a cheap halloween face mask.
  • WhisperAnne
    Options
    Poor Tara Reid @ tummy tucks

Oh yeah her stomach looked pretty bad. At least she had the money and got it fixed. lol
  • WhisperAnne
    Options
    IMO I think it's only okay to get plastic surgery if you have some type of deformity and just want to look normal. I don't think I would every marry a chick who went under the knife or got a boob job just took look more attractive, kind of says something about their personality.

What if a woman with implants before the surgery, she had extra skin on her breasts? she has a right to get them fixed then, I do understand your thoughts though.
  • Bunny1177
    Bunny1177 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Having lived in Europe for a few decades and then in Canada, I have to say that there is way more pressure to look good in Europe than in Canada.

Then what comes to plastic surgery, it is one's choice. If you want to get it done, go ahead. If you are against plastic surgery, don't get it done.