What is the best Heart Rate Monitor?

Options
I am having my doubts with the Nike App on my ipod, I do not think I burned 800 calories in an hour running around the block. So I purchased a Bios Heart rate monitor w/ strap on Ebay but it was dead on arrival. I have decided to get a refund but right now I want a really good Heart rate monitor that can show me calories burned. What is a really good heart rate monitor that won't break the bank? I was thinking of the Polar FT7 but I can't seem to think of a store that would actually sell it...

Replies

• _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    To start I can burn 800 calories in an hour of running but I do weigh 222 pounds. As for the best HRM it depends many people will tell you there's is and much depends on what you want them for and your budget. I personally like polar ones but in reality I've not used any other make. I'm happy with what they do and they have always been reliable for me. Garmin are also very popular with a lot of users on mfp
  • timeasterday
    timeasterday Posts: 1,368 Member
    Options
    If you just want calories burned the Polar FT4 is pretty good. I had the FT7 but never used the extra features. If you are a runner and want pace & distance too then a Garmin is the best. I typically burn about 10 calories/minute when running or any cardio stuff. A little higher when I am putting in more effort.
  • MaryJane_8810002
    MaryJane_8810002 Posts: 2,082 Member
    Options
    I was thinking of the Polar FT7 but it seems kind of expensive...but I guess its better than a generic one that will break down...
  • sfbaumgarten
    sfbaumgarten Posts: 912 Member
    Options
    I love my Polar RS100, but it's older and more expensive than the FT4... I'd probably go with that next if this one ever needs replacing.
  • _jayciemarie_
    _jayciemarie_ Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    I have the Polar FT4. I'm having issues with it, but I think it is probably user error. I have had it 3 months and in the middle of a workout it stops and says "check heart transmitter". I've done everything except replace batteries. I don't know why the treadmill has no problem reading my hr from my strap but my watch can't. It is frustrating.
  • jaxxie2013
    jaxxie2013 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    i love my Polar FT4 - only had it for a couple of weeks - but so far so good.
  • Echarde
    Options
    I still love my Beets Blu HRM. It runs on the same battery for 6 month already.
    iPhone with apps downloaded + sensor with chest belt, nothing more to desire for $50.