My weight won't go below 146 lbs

Options

Replies

• JustYandy
    JustYandy Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    It hits that number and starts to go up until it gets to about 149 and then goes down. On and on for the last few months.

My diary is open so you can look at what I eat. I work out practically every day with varied routines from circuits, to HIIT, to strength, to jogging, to yoga and long walks.

I sleep 8 hours per night. I drink plenty of water. I eat clean foods only and I think I eat enough.

When I have posted here regarding this issue, people suggested I track calories even more carefully so, I did.

Then some suggested I change my work outs so, I did.

They suggested I eat more, I did, and that I eat less, I did.

WHAT AM I MISSING?

Please don't tell me this is the weight my body wants to be because I've weighed a lot less in the past so I know I can do this. I am losing weight in a healthy way but I feel I am missing something.

Please, please, help me out.

I've weighed less in my past too,but I also have gained more muscle now (and am in the almost in the same boat)..Yes your doing everything right because you are actually burning fat and not losing lean muscle so you wont see a change for every 4 weeks you lose 1 lb..you would see a change in body fat % but not weight .
  • LuvonLuv
    Options
    Just adding my two cents....I have been trying to lose an extra 10lbs but "thought" I was in a plateau.
    I'll have to say that reading some of these threads has really helped me to adjust my thinking. I have really been maintaining my exercise program pretty well, and I realize now that I just had to expect to put on weight when I started exercising. I am no longer worried that I am maintaining my weight because I have workmates constantly telling me that I am still losing weight. Little do they know that the scale has shown an increase.

So I read lately in one thread that when you've lost alot of weight...do not just look at the scale. Keep a check of your measurements, and that is exactly what my main measure is now.

What I also do from time to time, is to change up my eating routine. There have been many suggestions of that, but I also do it by changing my breakfast to lunch and vice versa, from time to time.

Please do not worry about the seeming plateau. I have been there and it can be quite frustrating. I am now at peace with that, thanks to reading up these threads and understanding alot of things. I hope that you can acquire that peace of mind as well.
  • Phaedra2014
    Phaedra2014 Posts: 1,254 Member
    Options
    You guys help me so much with staying focused! I talked to my trainer yesterday and we are going to do a 7 or 9 point (don't ask me hat that means!) caliper BF% measurement tomorrow before I work out. He said 3 is what is usually done but it is not accurate. I have had the 3 done before and I think it means taking readings from just 3 areas in the body.

I have become faster, stronger, tougher and much more flexible. I can do 200 jumping jacks and not break a sweat whereas 4 months ago, even 50 was too much. I love lifting weights and I can see a progression. I am new to this type of workout but I already love it.

I've decided to shift my priorities after reading some very well-written articles on nerdfitness.com. I do want to be STRONGER and have more ENDURANCE without wearing myself out. I know many start off with Crossfit as their preferred form of exercise but that's my ultimate goal. I'm working on building up my strength (both mental and physical) to get to doing Crossfit, a little at a time.

A lot of you are correct: BF% is the way to go. That said, the numbers on the scale are also important because a few pounds off is okay but neglecting the scale is what got me into trouble in the first place! I always thought well, I eat pretty healthfully, I don't work out every day but I do a few days, it's just one birthday party, just one more snack, I'll weigh in next month, and BOOM, I became obese.

So yeah, now it's all about personal responsibility, education, knowing my body, and relying on many of you for support and knowledge. I cannot thank you enough for being here for me. I don't know any of you personally but you guys are very dear to me as we are all in this together.

Much love and peace to you all.
  • Phaedra2014
    Options
    20 days later. I made the changes many of you suggested. Logged every single bite. Weighed everything in grams using USDA guidelines whenever available. Did not over consume. Drank plenty of water. Worked out consistently. And....

nothing has changed.

I'm still 146.

My measurements haven't changed either.

Any other suggestions?
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    try fasting, it works
  • Phaedra2014
    Options
    try fasting, it works

What do you mean?
  • focuseddiva
    focuseddiva Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    I feel your pain. I can offer you some perspective, not tactical advice. You are 43. I am 41. I too lost a LOT of weight. My highest was 350. I lost 100 lbs. Had kids. Then went from 250 to 180. Then plateaued. Then went on Jenny Craig and lost 40-45 pounds. So, at one point I was about 140 lbs (I'm 5'8). This was in my late 30s. But what did I have to do lose the final 10-15 lbs to get there? And what did I have to do to maintain? I was ridiculously scrupulous with coutning calories. To lose, I had to be around 1100-1300 per day. And on top of that, I had to exercise a LOT. I was running an hour a day. I was strength training 3 times a week. All on 1100 cals per day. I was hungry all the time. It made no sense. I tried eating more -- 1500 cals. I gained on that. Wehn I finally hit my goal of 140, I played around with the calorie levels. I discovered 1500 cals/day while still exercising quite a bit, was how to maintain. Most people lose on that. I had to do that just to NOT gain. WHY? I truly believe that if you've lost a ton of weight initially (like you have and like I had), your body becomes amazinly efficient and adaptive at hanging onto every.single.calorie. After all, from the body's persepctive, you have been starving it to produce weight loss. So it adapts and makes every calorie count, right? Makes losing weight that much harder. Especially as you get closer to your goal weight. Especially as you age. The body is just WAITING for a few extra calories so it can balloon back up. I know my body does not respond on 1400 calories a day as someone else's who is my same age, height, and activity level. So, what I am saying is, perhaps you are doing everything correctly. Perhaps 146 is where your body wants to be. I don't know. I feel for you. I am sorry. I am also trying to prod my body along. Hell, I averaged about 1500 calories per day this week and exercised plenty, and got on the scale and was up friggin 4 pounds. I don't get it. But this time around, I have adjusted my goal weight to 150-155, not 140. Now if only I could get there ...
  • Phaedra2014
    Options
    I feel your pain. I can offer you some perspective, not tactical advice. You are 43. I am 41. I too lost a LOT of weight. My highest was 350. I lost 100 lbs. Had kids. Then went from 250 to 180. Then plateaued. Then went on Jenny Craig and lost 40-45 pounds. So, at one point I was about 140 lbs (I'm 5'8). This was in my late 30s. But what did I have to do lose the final 10-15 lbs to get there? And what did I have to do to maintain? I was ridiculously scrupulous with coutning calories. To lose, I had to be around 1100-1300 per day. And on top of that, I had to exercise a LOT. I was running an hour a day. I was strength training 3 times a week. All on 1100 cals per day. I was hungry all the time. It made no sense. I tried eating more -- 1500 cals. I gained on that. Wehn I finally hit my goal of 140, I played around with the calorie levels. I discovered 1500 cals/day while still exercising quite a bit, was how to maintain. Most people lose on that. I had to do that just to NOT gain. WHY? I truly believe that if you've lost a ton of weight initially (like you have and like I had), your body becomes amazinly efficient and adaptive at hanging onto every.single.calorie. After all, from the body's persepctive, you have been starving it to produce weight loss. So it adapts and makes every calorie count, right? Makes losing weight that much harder. Especially as you get closer to your goal weight. Especially as you age. The body is just WAITING for a few extra calories so it can balloon back up. I know my body does not respond on 1400 calories a day as someone else's who is my same age, height, and activity level. So, what I am saying is, perhaps you are doing everything correctly. Perhaps 146 is where your body wants to be. I don't know. I feel for you. I am sorry. I am also trying to prod my body along. Hell, I averaged about 1500 calories per day this week and exercised plenty, and got on the scale and was up friggin 4 pounds. I don't get it. But this time around, I have adjusted my goal weight to 150-155, not 140. Now if only I could get there ...

I appreciate your reply. Thanks for sharing your story. You may be right. I don't want to believe it but you may be right. i can't seem to move from this place. I am doing all the right things. Maybe the last thing left to do is toss the weighing scale!!!

ETA: I did order a BodyMedia. When it gets here I'll finally be able to see how many calories I actually burn during the day and adjust my intake accordingly. Nothing is 100% accurate but it's better than having to guess my activity level etc.
  • MrsLannister
    MrsLannister Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry you are still having trouble breaking your plateau. I went through a similar thing recently and I stopped my diet completely for about 10 days. I didn't even log. I just ate whatever I wanted (within reason) and didn't worry about it. After that, I went back to logging and counting calories. I gained about 6 pounds, but it was mostly water. I lost 5 pounds in about 3 days and then went back to my steady loss of around 1.5 - 2 pounds a week.
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options

I appreciate your reply. Thanks for sharing your story. You may be right. I don't want to believe it but you may be right. i can't seem to move from this place. I am doing all the right things. Maybe the last thing left to do is toss the weighing scale!!!

Someone who is thin but has lost a lot of weight to get there, will have a lower BMR than someone who was thin all along. This effect has been noted, but not explained scientifically yet. Likely it has something to do with adaptive thermogenesis. The good news is, is that this does seem to get better the longer the person maintains. I think especially if you focus on muscle maintenance, eventually you will be able to go back up in calories.

Sara and SideSteel should be able to sort it out, so hang in there. :smile:
  • Phaedra2014
    Options
    I'm sorry you are still having trouble breaking your plateau. I went through a similar thing recently and I stopped my diet completely for about 10 days. I didn't even log. I just ate whatever I wanted (within reason) and didn't worry about it. After that, I went back to logging and counting calories. I gained about 6 pounds, but it was mostly water. I lost 5 pounds in about 3 days and then went back to my steady loss of around 1.5 - 2 pounds a week.

i should have done that over Christmas but instead, I was scrupulous about logging and eating. It wasn't a sacrifice really. I like what I eat but i stuck to the same amounts of food and worked out too. Bah. This is very puzzling.
  • Phaedra2014
    Options
    Sara and SideSteel should be able to sort it out, so hang in there.

I'm so looking forward to their help!
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    try fasting, it works
    No.
    20 days later. I made the changes many of you suggested. Logged every single bite. Weighed everything in grams using USDA guidelines whenever available. Did not over consume. Drank plenty of water. Worked out consistently. And....

nothing has changed.

I'm still 146.

Any other suggestions?
    I still stand by my earlier advice that you might want to consider that your exercise burns are overestimated. It seems to me that might be the one thing you have not considered. :smile:

What kind of heart rate monitor to do you use? I'd make sure it has your current weight and that it is properly calibrated to your specific heart rate.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options

Someone who is thin but has lost a lot of weight to get there, will have a lower BMR than someone who was thin all along. This effect has been noted, but not explained scientifically yet. Likely it has something to do with adaptive thermogenesis. The good news is, is that this does seem to get better the longer the person maintains. I think especially if you focus on muscle maintenance, eventually you will be able to go back up in calories.

I don't follow your BMR theory, so please provide more information on this. :smile:

Of course, the more weight you lose, the lower your BMR will be because less body means less calories to maintain at your most sedentary level, but what does weight loss history have to do with it? I realize online calculators are estimations only, but no calculator out there requires a weight lost history.

I find this interesting. I thought BMR was basically based on your gender, height, current weight. Please provide some sources where this effect has been noted.
  • Phaedra2014
    Options
    try fasting, it works
    No.

nothing has changed.

I'm still 146.

Any other suggestions?
    I still stand by my earlier advice that you might want to consider that your exercise burns are overestimated. It seems to me that might be the one thing you have not considered. :smile:

What kind of heart rate monitor to do you use? I'd make sure it has your current weight and that it is properly calibrated to your specific heart rate.

I only log cardio burns on my HR. Even so, I don't eat all my exercise cals back because I realize that exercise burns are just estimations.

Yes I calibrated my HR and change the numbers even if I lose just a pound. I am really being as scrupulous as possible and have been for a while.

If I eat any less I won't make it through the day!
  • gigglesinthesun
    gigglesinthesun Posts: 860 Member
    Options

I don't follow your BMR theory, so please provide more information on this. :smile:

Of course, the more weight you lose, the lower your BMR will be because less body means less calories to maintain at your most sedentary level, but what does weight loss history have to do with it? I realize online calculators are estimations only, but no calculator out there requires a weight lost history.

I find this interesting. I thought BMR was basically based on your gender, height, current weight. Please provide some sources where this effect has been noted.

I think there was a study that found that a person that was once 300lbs and dieted down to 150lbs will have a lower BMR then a person that has always been 150lbs all other things being equal. However I can't find the study, so I don't know how good it was
  • Skarlet13
    Skarlet13 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    This is all very interesting to me. I work with a woman who lost about 100 lbs. She is 5'5 and weighs 138. She told me that she eats between 800 and 1000 calories per day. I was shocked because this is her maintenance intake. For that amount of calories I would expect her to be emaciated but she isn't. Her weight is in a healthy range. Can anyone explain this to me? I want to get down to 135 and am 5-4, but would never want to do it at calories that low.
  • QuietBloom
    Options

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/10832762

Above notes the differences that were found in post-obese subjects who has maintained for at least 2 years compared to always normal weight subjects. Cause or effect? Can't tell from that one study.

I will look around more tomorrow. I cannot find the original article I read at the moment, and I am off to bed to nurse my cold.

Cheers!
  • QuietBloom
    Options
    This is all very interesting to me. I work with a woman who lost about 100 lbs. She is 5'5 and weighs 138. She told me that she eats between 800 and 1000 calories per day. I was shocked because this is her maintenance intake. For that amount of calories I would expect her to be emaciated but she isn't. Her weight is in a healthy range. Can anyone explain this to me? I want to get down to 135 and am 5-4, but would never want to do it at calories that low.

She may be under estimating her calories.
  • Skarlet13
    Skarlet13 Posts: 146 Member
    Options

She may be under estimating her calories.

I thought about that but she weighs and measures everything, so I don't know.