Major weight loss from GF LF diet

Options
Hey all,

I started my weight loss journey in 2012. It took me about a year to lose 15 pounds. I'm 5'2". I changed my eating habits, counted calories, and worked out. Then this year I have fluctuated with 5 pounds. My heaviest this year was 138, some of it I know was muscle. Anyways, 2 months ago I started gluten free and lactose free because I have IBS and I figured it would help. It has, a lot!! But I have lost 7 pounds in 8 weeks since the change. I'm down to 131. Is that normal? I haven't even been exercising because I have a back injury. Any guidance is appreciated. Thanks!

Replies

• CactusF1ower
    CactusF1ower Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    Did the number of calories you eat decrease when you went gluten free? 7 lbs in 8 weeks is less than a lb a week, so that does not appear to be unhealthy.
  • AnninStPaul
    AnninStPaul Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    Is your IBS predominantly diahrrea or constipation? A normal BM weights about a pound, so if you had been constipated....
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    yep it's normal and to be expected if you arent replacing those calories with something else.
  • l_dubb
    l_dubb Posts: 12
    Options
    I haven't even been counting calories because I've been living at my parents place since I started the diet and she's been cooking.. so it's hard to be like "HOW MANY TABLESPOONS OF OIL DID YOU USE?" hahah. so yeah I just thought that was a lot of weight. And I have IBS-C so maybe I have been cleaned out some lol.
  • pattyproulx
    pattyproulx Posts: 603 Member
    Options
    Depends on what you're eating but if you dropped carbs when you dropped gluten, you probably lost a chunk of water weight at first.

131lbs for 5'2 isn't underweight and 7lbs in 8 weeks also is a nice pace for weight loss.

If you're feeling good and are eating to satiety, keep it up! I see no reason for concern. :)
  • ethompso0105
    ethompso0105 Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    If you had gluten and/or lactose intolerance, then it's completely reasonable to think you may have lost weight. I lost weight quite rapidly when I went off of gluten. However, I *do* have an intolerance (which I believe was always diagnosed as IBS).
  • l_dubb
    l_dubb Posts: 12
    Options
    Do you have celiac disease or a sensitivity to it? I read that gluten takes a long time to get out of your body and the affects on your stomach will still stick around for a bit just get better