Looking to be adopted!!

Options
Hi, I am a 52 year old female who is willing to be adopted by someone who can Gide me daily if not weekly on my weight loss journey. I have never counted calories, weight my food or even noticed what foods I was putting in my mouth. I am now retired at home and have all the time in the world to take care of ME. I joined MFP on 11/18/13 and have lost only 7 lbs. I am trying to learn my way around here. I am educated, I just never had the time to listen to my body and take care of ME. I worked in education from sunrise to sundown. I joined MFP because I felt that it was time to eat healthy. I had brain fog, joint pains and always felt sluggish. At 5'7, I now weigh 236lbs. My BMR is 1,765.15. I am on 1,200 calories cuz I think that my BMR is too high. I am now using 30 day shred 3 times a week(less stress on my knees). I will eat whatever you advice me to eat. My GOAL weight is 160lbs. I don't seem to be able to balance my macros, therefore I think that is not allowing me to lose weight. I need someone who can give me %'s of grams to be able to meet my macros and maybe help me with meal plans. I will commit 100% to YOUR advice. I read here on the forum about this gentlemen who had created a spread sheet to figure out deficit and such. I couldn't find his thread anymore cuz my iPad wouldn't support his excel sheet. All I remember was that he used a blue avatar as his picture. I will appreciate all your help. My username is terryfloresg.
Thanks,
Terry

Replies

• allisonrinkel
    allisonrinkel Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    I would NOT commit 100% to anyone's advice unless they are certified to give you proper advice that will not leave you sick or with an eating disorder.
    Eat fresh foods, veggies, fruits, eggs, meats, whatever you want. Try to reduce added sugars (not ones from fruits and veg) get lots of water, and keep working out.
    Now, I know I just said not to follow anyone's advice 100%, but what I have mentioned above is very basic information to get you started.
    I myself have had so much info thrown at me that I now an going to see a nutritionist because I'm afraid to eat.
  • SmileCozYouCan
    SmileCozYouCan Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    I would NOT commit 100% to anyone's advice unless they are certified to give you proper advice that will not leave you sick or with an eating disorder.
    Eat fresh foods, veggies, fruits, eggs, meats, whatever you want. Try to reduce added sugars (not ones from fruits and veg) get lots of water, and keep working out.
    Now, I know I just said not to follow anyone's advice 100%, but what I have mentioned above is very basic information to get you started.
    I myself have had so much info thrown at me that I now an going to see a nutritionist because I'm afraid to eat.

I agree :) Very well said!
  • terryfloresg
    terryfloresg Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I seem to be doing just that. Eating fresh foods, veggies, fruits and nuts, but I need help.
  • AlongCame_Molly
    AlongCame_Molly Posts: 2,835 Member
    Options
    You've been here under a month and "only" lost 7 lbs? Criminy, what were you expecting to lose? Did you put on weight faster than 2 lbs a week? If not, why would you expect to lose it faster than you put it on?

In other words, 7lbs/month is AWESOME. That's all the faster anyone not morbidly obese should be losing, anyway. Keep it up, you're doing fine.
  • red_road
    red_road Posts: 761 Member
    Options
    i agree 7lbs a month is nothing to scoff at, that is great. i would set my goal to one pound a week, keep exercising and focus on being a healthier person
  • echofm1
    echofm1 Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    While I don't think you should be adopted (though having a good base of friends who seem helpful and committed is great), I do want to give you one bit of advice.

Your BMR is NOT too high.

It's something that a lot of people on here struggle with. Your BMR will change as you get smaller, but since you are overweight, it will seem high. For example, my BMR when I started (24, 5'9", 343 lbs) was 2363 calories. Add on the calories burned just doing daily activities like brushing my teeth and walking to the bus, etc, the total calories I needed, per day, to maintain my weight was 2,854 calories. Therefore, to lose 1.5 pounds a week I had to eat less than that TOTAL number (also called Total Daily Energy Expenditure, or TDEE), not my BMR. So to lose weight, I ate about 2100 calories a day. Now, at 292 pounds, my TDEE is about 2,600 and I'm eating 1920 calories a day.

You do NOT need to eat 1200 calories to lose weight. In fact, listing you as a sedentary person (desk job), you can eat about 1500 calories a day, not including eating back exercise calories, and lose a pound a week. It'll seem slow, but losing weight slowly is good for you and more sustainable in the long run. You're trying to change bad habits into good ones and stick with this, so don't go to extremes unless you're one of those rare people who can do that and not get bogged down.

There are also several handy links that I don't have for getting started on this weight loss journey. I'm sure someone who has them will be willing to post them. 7 pounds in a month is GREAT. My expected loss a month is about 6 pounds, though I've been lucky and managing to lose slightly faster while sticking to the goals listed above.
  • feadzy
    feadzy Posts: 22
    Options
    Totally agree with the above. Most of us are no professionals.
    I try to avoid processed foods (also includes regular processed flour products), added sugars, salt bombs and saturated fats.
    Personally, I don't care that much about the whole lowcarb thing but thats up to you...
    Beans, Veggies, Fruits, Nuts (in moderation and not the salted ones) and good quality meat and dairy are keeps me away from feeling hungry and if you look for tasty + healthy ways to prepare them you should be good to go.
    Always stay hydrated ( http://img.docstoccdn.com/thumb/orig/136709901.png ) and work out a couple times.
  • I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Options
    7lbs in less than a month is a great loss.
  • terryfloresg
    Options
    Well, I have sat down and configured my weight loss journey.
    It looks like this:
    10.9lbs X 7 months= 76.3 lbs lost
    236lbs current weight -76.3lbs future loss lbs = 159.7 goal weight
    My goal weight loss is 10.9lb loss per month. It doesn't seem like I will meet my goal the first month. I still have till the 18th though

I don't expect for everyone to agree with me, but I lost 127lbs back in 200. I set up a similar goal back then with the help of a Dr. After 13 years, I gained 24lbs back. I am ready physically and mentally. I don't have the money to pay a Dr to help me now. That is why I am looking for someone who is knowledgeable with MFP and all this calorie counting new thing for me.
    Thanks
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    I am 42 and adopted,
    I know what it feels like
  • terryfloresg
    Options
    Sorry, back in 2000