30 day shred, how many cals do you eat?

Options
I haven't found any info on how many cals a day is recommended while doing 30 day shred. Anyone know where to find this? Does she say to eat back exercise cals?!

If you don't know what she says, what did you do? What were your results?!

Replies

• TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Um - I don't know what Jillians says but.............

Here's how MFP works. You plug in your stats (height, weight, etc)....then you tell MFP how many pounds you want to lose ea. week.

People who are close to goal should choose a modest goal to prevent muscle loss.....people with lots of weight to lose can be more aggressive. Then MFP gives you a daily calorie goal BEFORE exercise.

MFP has you eat exercise calories back because by eating to little....you lose fat+muscle....instead of mostly fat.

Here in MFP you plug in 30 DS under cardio - circuit training ......MFP likely gives you an inflated calorie burn so over ride calories "awarded" down a notch. This is likely a couple hundred calories.....(less than 300) ....not a huge number anyway.

I can't give your "Jillian's" number..... it shouldn't be a one size fits all anyway.
  • deedzzz
    deedzzz Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    I eat 1400 cals a day, and if I exercise i eat back the workout calories.
  • 2fit4fat
    2fit4fat Posts: 559 Member
    Options
    Im not going off of MFP because it has told everyone i know the same calories no matter how much they weighed, their height etc. Its not peronalized at all. As long as they put they wanted to lose weight it is the same cals.

Also i use a HRM to determine my cals, MFP is notorious for overguessing those just like machines :-) i like having a more realistic idea of what to expect and i can see days that i wasnt pushing as hard etc. :-)

Im curious what people have done, how they have decided to do it, and what the results were for them.
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    It tells them all the same because you're all putting it too great of an expectation for the amount of weight you have to lose. I bet you've all input the max of 2 lbs/week because you are impatient and want to lose as much as possible as quickly as possible. MFP just does math, it expects you to have the common sense to realize that the calories given may be too low.

I don't believe I've ever seen any of Jillian's DVD's recommending a particular diet or calorie count. I'm sure that's in some other book that she's selling and calorie intake is something that needs to be geared to the individual.
  • I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Options
    Im not going off of MFP because it has told everyone i know the same calories no matter how much they weighed, their height etc. Its not peronalized at all. As long as they put they wanted to lose weight it is the same cals.

Also i use a HRM to determine my cals, MFP is notorious for overguessing those just like machines :-) i like having a more realistic idea of what to expect and i can see days that i wasnt pushing as hard etc. :-)

Im curious what people have done, how they have decided to do it, and what the results were for them.

MFP gives so many people the same amount of calories because people always put in the max to lose that the site will give them. (which is, I believe, 2lbs a week) In order to lose 2lbs a week, the deficit would be so large that it would be below 1200 calories. MFP will not give a calorie goal lower than 1200, so it cuts it off there.

Calculate your TDEE, subtract 20% and go from there. Or just use whatever calorie goal you have now. 30DS doesn't burn many calories, so it's not really necessary to have a goal specifically for that workout.
  • I_Will_End_You
    Options

I don't believe I've ever seen any of Jillian's DVD's recommending a particular diet or calorie count. I'm sure that's in some other book that she's selling and calorie intake is something that needs to be geared to the individual.

I think it's 1200....go figure!
  • daniellemm1
    daniellemm1 Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    I don't know how helpful this is but I'll share what I did. I use TDEE-20% so I ate my normal amount but cut down on my running while doing the shred. Honestly the shred was awesome for firming up and losing inches (I lost 12 inches) but I don't think it burns much more than a couple hundred calories. Have fun, you will see and feel the results!!
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    The 30-day shred doesn't really burn that many calories to be overly concerned about it. Maybe 200-250 a session? If you're using MFPs numbers then eat your calories back.

Personally I've been much happier and more successful since switching to TDEE.
  • 2fit4fat
    Options
    It tells them all the same because you're all putting it too great of an expectation for the amount of weight you have to lose. I bet you've all input the max of 2 lbs/week because you are impatient and want to lose as much as possible as quickly as possible. MFP just does math, it expects you to have the common sense to realize that the calories given may be too low.

Dont assume things you dont know. I have over 70 lbs yo lose and i put 1 lbs a week. A friend has over 100 and same thing. I have changed it for myself to see qhat the difference would ve and whether i put.5 or 2 it gives the same cals. It only tweaked my friends. By by 50 cals... and she was the only one that it did that for.

Please dont make assumptions on things you dont know. If you would like clarity to help ask. If you just want to troll please go elsewhere
  • 2fit4fat
    Options
    I don't know how helpful this is but I'll share what I did. I use TDEE-20% so I ate my normal amount but cut down on my running while doing the shred. Honestly the shred was awesome for firming up and losing inches (I lost 12 inches) but I don't think it burns much more than a couple hundred calories. Have fun, you will see and feel the results!!

Thank you! Did you heppento find somewhere to help you find TEDEE? Shred with my HRM is not many cals for sure. Its a good starting piont for me though! :-) ill add weightlifting after followed by cardio. (After the 30 days)

People seem to love shred and i did it today and its good for my current fitness level hehe
  • 2fit4fat
    Options
    The 30-day shred doesn't really burn that many calories to be overly concerned about it. Maybe 200-250 a session? If you're using MFPs numbers then eat your calories back.

Personally I've been much happier and more successful since switching to TDEE.
    Thanks! :-) did you eat back workout cals on TDEE?
  • I_Will_End_You
    Options

Thanks! :-) did you eat back workout cals on TDEE?

No, your activity level is considered when you calculate your TDEE.
  • 2fit4fat
    Options
    Again please troll elsewhere, this is a site for support. I didnt tell you to click on my question or respond, especially trolling.

To everyone else thank you! You have been very helpful! :-) I look forward to trying out your suggestions :-)
  • GardenOfSongs
    GardenOfSongs Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I haven't found any info on how many cals a day is recommended while doing 30 day shred. Anyone know where to find this? Does she say to eat back exercise cals?!

If you don't know what she says, what did you do? What were your results?!

I aim for roughly 1200 calories a day and eat back exercise calories. Sometimes I go a little over if I'm hungry, sometimes I go a couple hundred calories under if I don't feel like eating - either way don't feel like beating myself up about it :tongue: