push ups vs pull ups

Options
2»

Replies

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    just keep hitting them brother..

when I started I could not do one..now I can do 5x5 at + 40# ….just takes time ..but they are a killer freaking work out..love em!
  • waldo56
    waldo56 Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    Parallel Dips and chin-ups are better for balance comparison than pushups and pullups.

With good balance in the arms, shoulders, back, and chest, you should be able to do exactly as many same weight (weighted or unweighted) parallel dips as you can do chin-ups.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options

People seem to hate on the assisted pullup machine, but it seemed to work just fine for me - by the time I was doing them unassisted, I had worked up to 8-10 on the last 'weight' on the machine and yes, it is shocking how few you can do unassisted, but its all about balance and training those assistance muscles, just dont be too dissapointed when you find you can only do three after being able to crack out 10 no problem on the assisted machine.

because they are the most ineffective way to train- they do not mimic an actual pull up. The mechanics are barely the same. It doesn't train you to use your back properly or set your alignment up to pull to the bar. Had you used another method of training- it would have happened faster and your transition to doing real ones would have been better. ... says the girl who can do weighted pull ups and NEVER uses the assisted machine. Seriously- it's just one of the most ineffective ways to train for that movement.

I prefer push-ups over pull ups they are faster and easier to do. I do 20 minutes of push ups in the morning when I wake up and 20 minutes at night before I go to bed
    That's fine and good, but one is not a substitute for the other. They are opposite movements, using completely different muscle groups.

yeah- I can bang out 20 push ups where ever whenever- that's all well and good- but 1. it's easier and 2. has nothing to do with my back.

Huff is completely right.
  • antjoanes
    antjoanes Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the advice everyone one.

I'm going to concentrate on rows and doing negative pull Ups and chin Ups. I'll get there in the end and I think I need to do these before my press Ups. My shoulders do slightly round in so I want to work on back and get everything in alignment.