Should I raise my daily calories ?

Options
Hey MFP Pals !

Just a little question. Have been in this weightloss game for nearly 3 years and have lost a good bit of weight.

HW 266

CW 163

GW 140

I have had times throughout this journey where I fell off track and stopped counting for weeks and months even but I manage to give myself a little kick and get back down to it. When I'm focused and committed I always try to eat in/around 1200 a day and this has worked for me.

During periods of not counting I do tend to gain a few lbs, but lose them quick enough once I recommit.

My question is, is it time to maybe start increasing my daily calories? I have set a target of 2lb per week and was given the min 1200.

I am pretty good at eating well on 1200 and can do it easily without feeling undernourished/hungry however as I get closer to goal is it better to start to slowly eat more... still have 23lb to go.....

I have also decided to try change things up a bit and try out a higher protein lower carb diet..

Goal <100g protein a day >70g carb a day. What do you think of this ?

Have never tried this before and just thought I would give it a go as it gives me more to focus on and keeps things fresh as I get bored of same things easily.

Any advice welcomed.

BMR is 1492

TDEE is 1790

I have entered that I am sedentary however I do try and walk at least 5km 3xper week.

Replies

• thundrks
    thundrks Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    If it ain't broke - don't fix it

Personally, I am waiting until I hit my goal weight - then I will figure out how to maintain.
  • ponycyndi
    ponycyndi Posts: 858 Member
    Options
    Personally, I feel that I do better when eating healthy, plenty of protein, and exercising more rather than cutting out calories. IE, I eat another 100-200 calories, putting me around 1400 a day, and then getting in some time on my elliptical. Then I am building muscle tone, which helps burn those extra calories even on days I don't work out.
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    With 20 lbs to lose you shouldn't be at more than the 1 lb/week level. Eventually you'll need to get into maintenance so you might as well start working toward that. It isn't realistic for most people to eat 1200 calories at any time which could be why you go off the plan and have your no counting times. Don't make life harder than it has to be.