STUCK in weight...but moving in inches

Options
well I’m down 57 lbs. in 5months and I lost a good portion of it before the 4month mark...I slowed down because I started adding some carbs back in so the scale is going back and forth constantly...but I also got a gym membership again over a month ago and I go anywhere from 5-6days a week :) so I see the inches coming off but I wish the weight was coming off. They say to up the calories in eating for what I am burning but when I do I gain the weight. meh.
I really want a workout buddy but no one is doing anything like me. They don’t commit or they flake so actually I’m glad I’m by myself. Does that make sense?
I also want more people to talk too that are losing as much weight as me but they don’t stay on here or they don’t respond. I guess after doing this 5months I feel a little lonely. I know I shouldn’t though. I’m focused and this isn’t detouring me but let me know what you all think :)
Happy weekend all!

Replies

• cafeaulait7
    cafeaulait7 Posts: 2,459 Member
    Options
    Inches are the way to go :D Really, I just want those fat spots smaller, so I don't really care what the scale says. Yours will pick back up, I'm sure, though.

Your workouts are probably increasing your water weight for the muscles to repair! That means you are working it :) Great going for getting into the gym so much. I couldn't imagine a buddy that wouldn't flake out too often, and I liked the 'me' time at the gym anyway. Now I do mine at home, and I still like that I don't have to make conversation or anything while doing my thing.

It sounds like you are doing really well. No worries about the scale weight stalling for a bit, especially with working out so much. Enjoy your weekend!
  • sydneybeachgirl
    Options
    Forget about the scale! Inches are the way to go! Bear in mind that about 75% of our body is water! No one can go on loosing weight forever - it mostly will be water! If you are loosing inches it means you burnt off fat - which is the good thing. Well done!
  • punkyjones
    punkyjones Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Forget about the scale! Inches are the way to go! Bear in mind that about 75% of our body is water! No one can go on loosing weight forever - it mostly will be water! If you are loosing inches it means you burnt off fat - which is the good thing. Well done!

My thoughts exactly! Keep at it, you're doing AWESOME!
  • ilessa
    ilessa Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    If you're moving down in inches then that's the main goal, you might stall a little on the scales while your body is adjusting but to be honest torching the excess BF >> scales in my opinion :)
    Keep it up!
  • sarahrbraun
    sarahrbraun Posts: 2,261 Member
    Options
    well I’m down 57 lbs. in 5months and I lost a good portion of it before the 4month mark...I slowed down because I started adding some carbs back in so the scale is going back and forth constantly...but I also got a gym membership again over a month ago and I go anywhere from 5-6days a week :) so I see the inches coming off but I wish the weight was coming off. They say to up the calories in eating for what I am burning but when I do I gain the weight. meh.
    I really want a workout buddy but no one is doing anything like me. They don’t commit or they flake so actually I’m glad I’m by myself. Does that make sense?
    I also want more people to talk too that are losing as much weight as me but they don’t stay on here or they don’t respond. I guess after doing this 5months I feel a little lonely. I know I shouldn’t though. I’m focused and this isn’t detouring me but let me know what you all think :)
    Happy weekend all!

Although the scale IS important, don't worry about it too much. Muscle takes up less space than fat ("muscle weighs more than fat"), so when you have more muscle, you will LOOK like you have lost weight when you really haven't. This picture is a VERY good example of this. I am wearing the EXACT same shirt in both pics. In the one on the left, I weigh between 188 and 199 pounds (I was in a weight loss group at that time, and those were my high and low weights). In the one on the right, I weighed 196 lbs.
    8213431311_eecd2df7b1.jpg
    gray top pics by crochetmom2010, on Flickr

I totally get what you are saying about people flaking on you. I have had a handful of workout buddies, but they are never as dedicated as I am ( I am normally at the gym 4-5 times a week). I gave up on having people meet me at the gym, and got to know some of the regulars. This week I took 2 days in a row off from the gym for my dad's funeral, and when I went back Thursday and Friday I had people telling me they noticed I was gone, and when they found out why, they hugged me.
  • gracielynn1011
    gracielynn1011 Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    Happy weekend all!

Although the scale IS important, don't worry about it too much. Muscle takes up less space than fat ("muscle weighs more than fat"), so when you have more muscle, you will LOOK like you have lost weight when you really haven't. This picture is a VERY good example of this. I am wearing the EXACT same shirt in both pics. In the one on the left, I weigh between 188 and 199 pounds (I was in a weight loss group at that time, and those were my high and low weights). In the one on the right, I weighed 196 lbs.

I totally get what you are saying about people flaking on you. I have had a handful of workout buddies, but they are never as dedicated as I am ( I am normally at the gym 4-5 times a week). I gave up on having people meet me at the gym, and got to know some of the regulars. This week I took 2 days in a row off from the gym for my dad's funeral, and when I went back Thursday and Friday I had people telling me they noticed I was gone, and when they found out why, they hugged me.

Very sorry for your loss. :flowerforyou:
  • sarahrbraun
    Options
    Happy weekend all!

thank you. He was really sick for 6 months, and deathly ill for 2-3 months. The whole family is just glad that he is no longer in pain, and at peace now.
  • Branawesomer
    Branawesomer Posts: 1,025 Member
    Options
    This post came at such an important time. I'm int he same boat even though I have only lost about 17-18lbs. I notice changes in my inches but not in my weight. and I've just introduced lifting again. I KNOW I'm losing inches and gaining muscle but not seeing that change in the scale is driving me insane. I needed to see this and the other comments to help me out with that so thank you!
  • Branawesomer
    Branawesomer Posts: 1,025 Member
    Options
    Happy weekend all!

thank you. He was really sick for 6 months, and deathly ill for 2-3 months. The whole family is just glad that he is no longer in pain, and at peace now.

Sorry for your loss. Thank you for posting those pics tho. Really helped me with my own current struggles. Cheers!
  • rockinsockstaliea
    rockinsockstaliea Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    thanks! ya the inches are coming off. Im on day 171 in my new me mode. its doing great :)
  • rockinsockstaliea
    Options
    sorry for your loss. thank you for reposting. its wonderful to see how we all are doing and how we can support each other! hang in there all. we got this!!!
  • rockinsockstaliea
    Options
    well that's great. a loss is a loss but the inches...its a great thing. I actually took pics today and put them right next to my day 1 pics and holy fairy !@#$ I see the difference. makes m push more! we got this. you are doing awesome. Im just working on really toning as much as possible.
    This post came at such an important time. I'm int he same boat even though I have only lost about 17-18lbs. I notice changes in my inches but not in my weight. and I've just introduced lifting again. I KNOW I'm losing inches and gaining muscle but not seeing that change in the scale is driving me insane. I needed to see this and the other comments to help me out with that so thank you!
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    Inches are so much more important - scale weight is only relevant to the exact moment you hop on it. I can vary lbs in a day, heck, I can lose 4lbs going to the bathroom!!

You don't walk around with your weight displayed on your forehead, but you do display your body constantly. Being happy with what you look like is so much more important than being a certain number. Getting in to weights will change your shape dramatically! :)
  • Lillyloooo
    Lillyloooo Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    Great thread
  • webbeyes
    webbeyes Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    So let me add to this from a different perspective: I have always been fine with my weight, I simply wanted to redistribute it to where I realllly wanted it.

In other words, mine was truly a game of inches from the very start. Losing weight would have been rather dangerous for me.

Since I started my workout journey, I went back down an inch of waist size, but have gained 9lbs.

So, it sounds like you're at a point where you're trading fat for fit ... a temporary plateau in weight, but a positive plateau for your muscle. You're redistributing your weight to the places it should be on your body.

You should be congratulated!
  • markiend
    markiend Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    hang in there, inches still vanishing and the weight will follow so don't be hard on yourself

plenty of people here to help when you feel down or stuck
  • Jamie22184
    Jamie22184 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Throw your scale out lady! It's a hateful B that enjoys making you miserable when the number either goes up or doesn't move at all. I have a much healthier realtionship with my tape measure anyway...I weight train so the scale goes up a bit but the inches are falling off. From the reading I've done it takes about 4 weeks for your body to adjust to a new routine like upping or lowering calories. Maybe shake up your workout routine a bit even.

Example: If you do a lot of cardio and only a little strength switch it up and do more strength and less cardio. Or try some new-to-you exercise like kickboxing or venture into the free weight area of the gym (debunk the myth that you'll get "bulky")

I'll be your online workout buddy if you want.
  • sarahrbraun
    Options
    this is another pic of my transformation. When I started working with a trainer in February, I took the picture on the left. In April I had to switch trainers, and the middle pic is from that period of time. The picture on the right is in August, right after I stopped using a trainer. Over all, there is only a 2-3lb loss.

9799221974_4ccc67c1f0.jpg
    2/13, 4/13, 9/13 by crochetmom2010, on Flickr

I very much believe that taking monthly progress pics, in the same clothes if possible, is VERY important.
  • rockinsockstaliea
    Options
    hell ya!!! workout buddies :) woot woot
    Throw your scale out lady! It's a hateful B that enjoys making you miserable when the number either goes up or doesn't move at all. I have a much healthier realtionship with my tape measure anyway...I weight train so the scale goes up a bit but the inches are falling off. From the reading I've done it takes about 4 weeks for your body to adjust to a new routine like upping or lowering calories. Maybe shake up your workout routine a bit even.

Example: If you do a lot of cardio and only a little strength switch it up and do more strength and less cardio. Or try some new-to-you exercise like kickboxing or venture into the free weight area of the gym (debunk the myth that you'll get "bulky")

I'll be your online workout buddy if you want.
  • rezn8
    rezn8 Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    First off I've been on MFP everyday for just about 500 days so I am not going anywhere. I've been working out in the mornings 6-7 days a week since June 2012. Went down a total of 48 lbs. but felt too thin in areas so I went on a mass building program to add muscle. That program ends in a week and has worked but I've also gained about 11 lbs. and some BF that I will start working on again in 1 week. I expect to lose about 10 more lbs. and see where I'm at then. To me it is a work in progress and you have to work to reshape your entire body. The scale is often our enemy, the mirror may be your ally.