Home-Made Chicken Soup

Okay, I've made my own chicken broth. Somebody talk to me about making soup--how long do I simmer the chicken in the broth? Should I add vegetables at the same time, or later?

Replies

• missyjane824
    missyjane824 Posts: 1,199 Member
    I generally add vegetables and let them cook a bit before adding the chicken but you can add it right away too. It doesn't take long for the vegetables but it also depends if the chicken is cooked yet or not. The longer things simmer together the more enhanced the flavor gets.
  • bprague
    bprague Posts: 564 Member
    Depends. My family makes the best damn chicken matzo ball soup in the world. (not even joking), but we also use two chickens, and a pack of 30 wings for our broth in a GIANT pot along with a couple carrots, celery, and onion... let it simmer down (uncovered!!) for at LEAST 6 hours. Strain out all the meat and old veggies, add your new veggies, cook until soft.

It's not cheap, but darn it, it's tasty
  • Noted! I have nowhere near a large enough pot for that, though... :)
  • I wound up adding everything together and simmering for a little over an hour. Turned out pretty well.
  • Lovey50
    Lovey50 Posts: 63 Member
    Next time, try using chicken wings - they give the most flavor and collagen (when the broth is refrigerated, it gets like Jello. This is a good thing :wink: ) You can throw in some thighs or breasts if you want meat for your soup. Don't forget to skim the scum that develops in the beginning of boiling, or the chicken taste gets muddy. I boil the wings and thighs etc for about 30 min. to cook the meat, then I pull the breasts/thighs and let cool a bit,about 10 minutes in a big bowl, then pull the meat off and add the bones back to the broth. I like to simmer the broth for at least 2 1/2 hours.

I start with an unpeeled onion cut in half, a stalk or 2 of celery with leaves, cut into big chunks, carrots cut the same, a turnip cut in half, a parsnip cut in big chunks, and a head of unpeeled garlic, cut in half. I also add a bunch of fresh rosemary, fresh thyme, and a couple bay leaves, a teaspoon of peppercorns, and a couple whole cloves. This mix cooks with the chicken to flavor the broth.

After simmering at least 2.5 hrs and adding water at any time if its evaporating too much, I strain the whole thing into another pot. I pour some broth into containers for freezing for future soups. If I'm making soup, I add a mix of chopped veggies I want in the soup - onion, celery, carrots, spinach, kale, okra - it takes about 20-25 minutes for the veggies to cook. You could also add lentils at this time for a quick protein boost.

If you want rice, pasta, quinoa, or barley in your soup, I suggest making it separately and adding it later-it keeps the soup clearer and more chickeny-tasting, also the pasta and grains will expand over time and absorb the broth.

It takes some time but its so very worth it.
  • Lovey50
    Lovey50 Posts: 63 Member
    A good stockpot is worth its weight in chicken and other homemade soups: http://www.amazon.com/Professional-Commercial-Heavy-Gauge-Stainless-Induction/dp/B000FNK43A/ref=sr_1_9?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1387069280&sr=1-9&keywords=stock+pot

When not in use, I store stuff in it:bigsmile: