Is it possible to lose while still consuming alcohol?

Options
I have a lot of girl friends who don't workout at all, in fact they actually go out quite often and consume alcohol on a regular basis and are still really slim. How is it possible to drink so much and not gain? Isn't it all sugar? I'm just confused because everyone always tells you to cut out alcohol to lose weight.

Replies

• Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    You need to cut calories to lose weight. Whether that's through cutting alcohol or sugar or cutting a little bit of everything is up to you.
  • lngrunert
    lngrunert Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    I usually drink 1-2 glasses of wine in the evening, and usually more on the weekend. I include it in my calories, though, so I'm still eating at a deficit, which is all you need to lose weight.
  • Greenrun99
    Greenrun99 Posts: 2,065 Member
    Options
    Not eating while drinking is huge.. Don't go out after the bars to a restaurant or fast food or any of that.. And eat a bit less during the day.
  • Touji
    Touji Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    The reason people tell you to cut out alcohol when losing weight is that alcoholic beverages are usually very calorie-dense, which means they have a lot of calories for their size.

For example:
    1 shot (1.5 fl oz) of vodka is almost 100 calories. That's a tiny amount of drink but a lot of calories.
    If you have a mixed drink, like a tequila sunrise, you're going to have about 200 calories per drink and sometimes even more. That's about the same amount of calories as a kitkat bar.

Alcohol also dehydrates you, which makes you more likely to want to eat. If you drink too much, you'll (of course) get drunk. When you're drunk, you probably won't exercise a lot of self control and you may eat more.

You can still drink and lose weight, of course. As long as you don't eat too many calories, you'll still lose weight. That said, drinking alcohol will probably make your weight loss more difficult because it isn't very filling and generally has a lot of calories, dehydrates you and may make you drunk and therefore weaken your self-control.
  • Retiredmom72
    Retiredmom72 Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    Log whatever you consume. You will be surprised how many calories are in some alcoholic drinks. You may need to workout to burn some of those calories. Remember that everyone's metabolism is different so don't plan on your body reacting the same as others to alcohol.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    Yes it is... :drinker: :drinker: :drinker:
  • tiggerlgh
    tiggerlgh Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Yes, I refuse to give up my wine. I have lost ~20 lbs since starting in October by still having my red wine and sometimes while out other drinks. I do measure my pours now and plan for the drinks but I have not nor will I stop drinking wine.
  • emilyisbonkers
    emilyisbonkers Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    try mixing wine with low calorie lemonade or something..
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options

:sick: :sick: :sick: :sick: :sick: :sick:
  • olehcat
    olehcat Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I still drink quite a lot of wine and still lose weight. I think the danger is when you drink too much sometimes it makes you want to snack a lot more or it lowers your inhibitions and you go off plan.
  • maca416
    maca416 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    If your needing to cut back on food just to drink wine then I would be questioning why wine is more important than the nutrition in food.

Whats wrong with just a few glasses of wine a week ?
  • tiggerlgh
    tiggerlgh Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    If your needing to cut back on food just to drink wine then I would be questioning why wine is more important than the nutrition in food.

Whats wrong with just a few glasses of wine a week ?

I don't drink wine daily just a few times a week. But when I do I make sure I have the calories in my daily goal to drink it, I don't exchange food for wine.
  • ggxx100
    ggxx100 Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    If it wasn't possible, I'd still be 50 pounds heavier.

I do have to say I cut down much more on my liquor consumption naturally. I drank more often because it usually accompanied eating out for me, and a glass of whiskey (or four) usually accompanied some salty fried fare. Now that I love cooking and eat in more often, I cut back unintentionally. However, throughout my weight loss journey I always drank and still do in moderation/

The important thing is I never let a glass of whiskey or wine drive me to the cabinets. Not a personal experience, but I do know that liquor makes some release their inhibitions with food altogether. Because of this I'd think alcohol indirectly works against weight loss rather than doing so from the calories in it.

Edit: one possible factor: I do hate mixed drinks, or any sort of sugary cocktail, so I take all my liquor neat and with no added soda or juice. I do think this contributed to my alcohol consumption's lack of weight loss interference.
  • hilts1969
    hilts1969 Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    I have a lot of girl friends who don't workout at all, in fact they actually go out quite often and consume alcohol on a regular basis and are still really slim. How is it possible to drink so much and not gain? Isn't it all sugar? I'm just confused because everyone always tells you to cut out alcohol to lose weight.

yes more than possible, i drink about 12 whisky and cokes over a friday and saturday night plus a couple of beers, have a takeout once a week as well
  • hstoblish
    hstoblish Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    Yes, it's possible, but you might find that you want to stop drinking quite as much so that you can save calories for healthier foods. It's also a good idea to develop a love for soda water (not tonic, which has sugar in it) with a squirt of lime. You'll still be able to go out dancing or whatever and have a nice fizzy drink, but it's essentially calorie free. And if you start to like a shot or two of high quality whiskey in it, you look like a badass at the bar.

Your friends might also be maintaining because they're dancing. When my husband and I started dating, we stopped going out to the bar with friends, which means that I wasn't out dancing for 4 hours twice a week. And because I was never at the bar to pick up, I was on the dance floor the whole time, which means that I wasn't getting nearly as much exercise as I was when I was single.
  • acogg
    acogg Posts: 1,870 Member
    Options
    Yes, it's possible, but you might find that you want to stop drinking quite as much so that you can save calories for healthier foods. It's also a good idea to develop a love for soda water (not tonic, which has sugar in it) with a squirt of lime. You'll still be able to go out dancing or whatever and have a nice fizzy drink, but it's essentially calorie free. And if you start to like a shot or two of high quality whiskey in it, you look like a badass at the bar.

Your friends might also be maintaining because they're dancing. When my husband and I started dating, we stopped going out to the bar with friends, which means that I wasn't out dancing for 4 hours twice a week. And because I was never at the bar to pick up, I was on the dance floor the whole time, which means that I wasn't getting nearly as much exercise as I was when I was single.

Truth. Same scene as when I was young. Then we get married, have kids, spend our evenings on the couch watching TV and eating snacks. Can't miss an episode!
  • tuulikki30
    tuulikki30 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    yup
  • Sapporo
    Sapporo Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    A 750ml bottle of white riesling is only 643 calories. I can work that in once in a while real easy :)
  • vanguardfitness
    vanguardfitness Posts: 720 Member
    Options

wtf?