Cottage Cheese

Options

Replies

• brityn
    brityn Posts: 443 Member
    Options
    I eat 1/2 c. fat free cottage cheese with 1c. frozen sliced strawberries (thawed) and top it with a tbls. of flax seeds. I probably eat that as a snack 2-3 times a week.
  • brityn
    brityn Posts: 443 Member
    Options
    cottage cheese is a staple - love it and eat it all the time - great source of protein - I get Friendship 1% No Salt Added because the sodium can be high in the regular kinds if you watch that

I will have to look around and see if I can find a no salt variety here in Alberta, Canada. The sodium content is my only complaint!

'no salt added' is different than 'no salt'. Usually companies will offer lower fat varieties of anything but then add more sodium or sugar to compensate the taste.
  • Nattiejean57
    Nattiejean57 Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    I sprinkle a little smoke salt on it! Soooooo good!
  • smarston
    smarston Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    All of these are great ideas and sound amazing! I haven't branched too far out with the cottage cheese, either plain or with pineapple for me. :)
  • raven5131
    Options
    I always have it with tri-color cracked peppercorns. I have never added salt. Ihave also added granola like I would yougart. But alot of good ideas here. Thanks for sharing everybody.
  • lotusfromthemud
    lotusfromthemud Posts: 5,335 Member
    Options
    Here are 101 (approximately) cottage cheese ideas:

http://www.stumptuous.com/the-cottage-cheese-page
  • silveryflutterby
    Options
    I usually just eat it with black pepper or sometimes with tomatoes (especially cherry tomatoes) and pepper. Yum!!
  • snarkyblue
    Options
    wow! all these ideas i never thought of! I usually eat it w/ pepper ... or with fruit ... i'm going to try the other ideas tho!
  • jessmomof3
    jessmomof3 Posts: 4,590 Member
    Options
    I treat it like sour cream. I treat sour cream like cheese. I treat cheese like salt. I salt anything that's not sweet. You get the idea... LOL I :heart: Cottage Cheese!

So true!! I use cottage cheese as a topper for baked potatoes (w/ Worcestershire)
    and sweet potatoes (w/ cinnamon),
    I add it to my oatmeal (after it's cooked, makes it cool down faster and creamy!),
    I add fruit to it (frozen blueberries w/ cottage cheese delicious, you can also add a little plain yogurt to it).
    Add it to smoothies.

I also use it in things where you would use sour cream like chili, mix it salsa for a salad dressing, etc.

You can also make protein pancakes out of it.
    1/2 cup of old fashioned oatmeal, 1/2 cup of eggbeaters, 1/2 cup cottage cheese, cinnamon, and 1 tsp. vanilla.
    Blend in blender until it's like pancake batter and cook on griddle until done.

Yeah, I buy a LOT of cottage cheese! :bigsmile: It's high in protein, low in fat, and tastes good!
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    I pretty much eat it every day.

250g with
    1.5 tbspns natural peanut butter
    1/2 tspn honey

DELISH!

Also,
    with avocado and pepper
    tuna and whatever spice and lemon (ultimate protein bomb!)

These are my faves.

I also, may mix in some oats if I am looking for some carbs as well.
  • superwmn
    superwmn Posts: 936
    Options
    I add fruit cups to it. Pears in water, peaches in water, pineapple in water (I drain the water before adding the fruit).

Also like to add cinnamon and raisins OR some strawberry (or any flavor you like) jam. Wegmans (if you're in upstate NY) has AWESOME organic jams that are only 25 calories/tbs.

Charmagne
  • SMJ64
    SMJ64 Posts: 66
    Options
    yummy....my mom used to always mix it with canned peaches, but I don't like it with sweet stuff. My fav way to eat it is on a toasted english muffin topped with ground black pepper or HPsauce. COMFORT FOOD BABY!
  • Jenbabe402
    Options
    I turn mine into kind of a soup- I add milk and then salt and pepper and scoop it up with a spoon. yum!
    I like the bacon and cracker idea too, might try that one!
  • skdk833
    skdk833 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Mixed into my scrambled eggs or in an egg white omlette.
  • mkmatos
    Options
    :smile: I mix cottage cheese with splenda and cinnamon, over a toasted english muffin.
  • Dubby62
    Dubby62 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I like my cottage cheese with mild banana pepper rings(chopped in small pieces)or green olives.Yummy! :bigsmile:
  • hunterr
    hunterr Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    :smile: I mix cottage cheese with splenda and cinnamon, over a toasted english muffin.

Thank you for the cinnamon reminder! I can't believe I forgot about that?
  • idivadi
    idivadi Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    Cottage cheese, chopped cucumber.chopped tomato and a little pepper
    yummmmmmmmm!
  • Dubby62
    Dubby62 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Cottage cheese with sunflower seeds on top is also yummy.....:bigsmile:
  • cattiemac
    cattiemac Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    I love it plain or mixed with salsa ... yummmmmm!!!