Polar FT4, FItbit, Calories burned Calculator??

Options
Who uses a Fitbit, Polar Fit for calories burned.. I've been using MFP calories burned combined with some other calculators online but I am thinking of using a Polar FT4 and the question is:

Wondering if I will notice a drop in calories burned? (which I suspect anyway the stronger I get)
Is it really that accurate, especially the fitter you get?

Replies

• Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    I use a fitbit zip and love it, since I got it I know exactly what I'm burning and I know how much I can eat, which i eat more now than when I did not have it. The only thing is it doesn't show is weight lifting burn, but than neither does a HRM either, but that's alright. :happy:
  • LvLite
    LvLite Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Judging by your incredible success.. I am encouraged! I guess I think either I will see that they were all lies previously and I am going to drop dead trying to meet the previous burns, or that it won't work and I'll gain :)
  • xvintagepearls
    Options
    In my personal opinion, I would most certainly consider invest in a Polar FT4 (or any of their other models) if you are performing cardiovascular activity (treadmill, elliptical, biking etc.). If you are looking for something that will track your calories burned over the course of the entire day I would not get a HRM as they are not very accurate for non-cardiovascular activity. The reason that they are only accurate during cardiovascular activity is because HRM calculate your calories burned based upon the relationship between heart rate and oxygen consumption. When more oxygen is consumed, you obviously burn more calories and your heart rate increases. That being said, accuracy of calories burned is dependent upon a steady state of heart rate/oxygen consumption in which is only achievable in aerobic activity/cardio.

With that being said, I would def. recommend you getting an FT4 if you're using it to measure aerobic/cardio activity. It's much more accurate than the calories online as it measures YOUR heart rate, not a "generic" or average value. I absolutely adore my FT4 and have nothing but good things to say about it. It's well worth the money and to be honest has really helped to increase my desire to workout.
  • LvLite
    LvLite Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Thanks Xvinatepearl! That totally makes sense. So do you do 'after burn' measurements too? I see that sometimes.
  • MMulder68
    MMulder68 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    I use a fitbit zip and love it, since I got it I know exactly what I'm burning and I know how much I can eat, which i eat more now than when I did not have it. The only thing is it doesn't show is weight lifting burn, but than neither does a HRM either, but that's alright. :happy:

I wear the Polar HRM FT7 and lift weights mainly. It does count the calories. I start it when I begin my warm up and stop it at the end of my workout. I don't walk so the fitbit wouldn't work for me. I love my HRM! I see a lot of HRM on people who do cardio or lift at the gym. I have been using it since the beginning and I am losing so it is working for me. I love that I am losing slowly and steadily. My body looks better too.