Getting gallbladder removed today....

Options
2»

Replies

• nornas42
    nornas42 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I had my out a few years ago, quite unexpectedly. The first month I really watch my fats intake. I notice the more fat I eat, the more constipation and then diarrhea I have as a result. If I eat a balanced diet, I don't have any problems.
  • nconley83
    nconley83 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I had mine removed almost 3 years ago - the diet thing depends on the person. I was very worried that I'd have to change my diet dramatically, but I was one of the lucky ones that can eat anything without issues. I also am no longer lactose intolerant - which my surgeon says does happen to some people... weird though. Anyways, I wish you luck and I hope you don't have to change much :)
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    First, congratulation it will be the best surgery of your life..No more pain! :drinker:

It didn't really affect me any. In fact, I was eating cheese 2 days post op, and was in class and walking a week later.
  • ltgw2000
    ltgw2000 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    The gall bladder's job is to store the molecules that help the fat we eat get from our intestines into our blood stream where they can be shipped around the body for appropriate use or storage. These molecules are made in the liver so even without a gallbladder some of them will be in the intestine and you will get all the fats you need. (Back in hunter gatherer days we did not eat much fat and the gallbladder helped make sure we got every little bit when it was available.) When fat hits your stomach it sends a message to the gallbladder to give a squeeze. If the tubes from the gallbladder to the intestine are blocked squeezing gets backed up and you have pain. Without the gallbladder this should be gone. You will have more fat than before left in your intestines and this can cause some cramping pain and diarrhea. Also the bile all goes straight into the intestines and can cause some color changes in stool and sometimes some irritation.
    What this means is that there is not anything you can't eat after gallbladder surgery. But many people have changes in their stools, usually softer and more frequent stooling or more rapid after a meal, especially a fatty meal. Fat runs right through. The degree to which you have cramps or discomfort with certain foods is variable. So you have to try things put and see what works for you. A healthful diet is always the best choice.

Hope surgery was easy and you are walking and feeling much better soon!
  • 100toloose
    100toloose Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Probably you already had the surgery today ..So wish you quick recovery. I lost 20 pounds after my surgery,because every single bite hurt.. Nice and slowly figured out what my stomack can take and can not take. Beans ,heavy meat- steaks and porks are a no- no to me.All other food in moderation. Unfortunatly after I gained all tye weight back. Now Im working on loosing all the excess weight I have..Good luck again,hope it helps.
  • yvonnecarroll1988
    Options
    I had my gallbladder out at 22 yrs old, after surgery I ate a fruit tray for 3 days. Make sure you don't drink out of straw for the first 4 days after surgery. I haven't had to change what I eat, only issue I have is eating to much spicy food.

Hope you have a fast recovery.
  • amandatapar
    amandatapar Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    I had mine removed in October of this year. I didn't have any trouble and was able to work out 2 weeks after surgery. I went home the same day and the only real problem was the gas pain for a few days after surgery. I had surgery on a Thursday and was back at work by the following Tuesday and I have a fairly strenuous job. My surgeon didn't see a problem with it. I ate light for a week or so due to not being that hungry but then I got my appetite back and at normally again. I had already cut out all my greasy food, fried food , etc though before I even had gall bladder issues. I didn't have any stones but my functional was bad, normal is 35 and mine was at 19. You may be surprised and you may be able to work out sooner than you think. I am not one to sit down very long and not do anything so it would drive me crazy to not be able to work out for 6 weeks. You can walk the day of surgery though. Walking is the only way to really get rid of the gas pains you will get and just increase your walking time as you feel able. I feel great now and have really not had any side effects except for the gas pain in the beginning. I hope your surgery went great.
  • superdeedooper
    superdeedooper Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Taking in all information I can locate on this topic after a possible gallbladder attack last night and a few days ago. If it is the gallbladder it has happened twice in a one-week time frame. I will do whatever the doctors say I have to do. I really should have left the greasy food alone... I knew better. :ohwell:
  • redversustheblue
    redversustheblue Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    I had mine out two years ago and honestly my diet hasn't really changed at all. In the very beginning, like the first couple months, I couldn't hand;e very greasy foods but I adjusted very quickly and now foods rarely bother me, even if they're super greasy. The only thing I've completely cut out because of my gallbladder was pizza hut pizza...because that's the food that gave me a gallbladder attack for nearly 24 hours. It grosses me out so much now.
  • vanguardfitness
    vanguardfitness Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    one of my exes had hers taken out in her early 20's. Her diet consisted of ice cream, cheese, chocolate, cupcakes and pepsi (I am not exaggerating).

I didn't exactly watch her take craps or exam her stool though. I did frequently hear watery sounds in her gut when I would rest my head on her waist and she frequently complained of nausea.