I cant stop going over..30 lbs away from goal, 80 lbs lost

Options
I was doing so good. I lost 80 lbs the healthy way: eating well and moving my body. And then school started, and then my boyfriend moved in. And then we broke up. And then finals hit. The exercise slowed to a standstill, and the holidays hit...sugar and more sugar..And here I am now. 80 lbs lost but still badly out of shape and still 30 lbs from goal weight. Have I gotten complacent? Lazy? Is this one of those life-stress related melt downs that I'll bounce back from? Do I tell myself I will start fresh after the holidays? Or will I be 5 lbs heavier, and have less energy to change>? Im scared. Where I used to be active and fit sugar into my macros, Im now going over, unable to say "no" and am binge eating after I put my son to bed. I dont want to give up so close to my goal. I dont want to re-gain weight Ive lost. I dont want to make excuses for not exercising. And I dont want to sound like a whiny baby. But Im scared. I need support. Has anyone ever been in my shoes? Has anyone ever bounced back from a rut that has both external and internal pressures? ANY tips are appreciated. Be as blunt as you like.

Replies

• hedean
    hedean Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I have never had as many stressors as you are dealing with right now so I'm sorry but I don't feel like I'm in any place to be giving advice. Having said that, it sounds to me like you truly do want to lose weight, and I think you should start now! Putting it off could just make things worse and then you might look back and think "man I wish I had just gotten back on the wagon right away". I think you should try to make things not super stressful for yourself and it sounds like you are stressed about whether you are going to get back into the groove of things…so just do it :smile: I have been in a rut myself for 2 years now and all I can think is that I wish I had fixed things while I was only 30 lbs away from my healthy range. You can do it! You've already lost so much. I just let things get so bad that now I have 65 lbs to lose.
  • SisterhoodoftheShrinkingPants
    Options
    Aww thank you so much :) yea, its becoming a big stress ball...Im scared Im going to back track...Ive gotten so used to LOSING, I dont want to gain..but I know that if I keep this up the scale will go up too. I think you're saying dont wait, start now..and I think you're right. Maybe baby steps, like recommitting to the gym 3-4 times a week. I will say from losing the 80 lbs (I had lost 7 lbs before joining mfp) it can be done!!! So 65 is really possible for you!!! I believe in you :) Thanks for responding and keep up the good work!
  • acogg
    acogg Posts: 1,870 Member
    Options
    No, do not wait to restart after the holidays. Eat at your daily deficit, keep up your exercise. Give yourself Christmas Day to eat at maintenance and then back to it! You can do this! Now is the time to dig deep! Next Christmas (and this summer) you will be thanking yourself!
    Options
    Thank you! I just realized my fear is that I cant get a strong fit body. Im so close but Im afraid it cant/wont happen to me..but thats crazy right?! Anyone can be strong and fit. I lost 80 friggin pounds...I just need to get back to the gym like before. And food is not my life anymore. Its fuel. period. I dont want to EAT. I want to have energy, I want to be strong, I want to overcome all of my fears...
  • godsgrl33
    godsgrl33 Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    I am in a similar situation. I have noticed that life has been getting in the way of my fitness goals as well. Myself, I have taken the plunge so to speak and put my calories to maintenence for the holidays. And, whatever I exercise I am not eating back the calories. I have not fit a whole lot of exercise in lately, but a funny thing happened to me. I lost weight anyway. Maybe my body needed that shock, or maybe it really is true that to lose weight you need to eat more, but whatever it is, it is working right now. I at least try to fit in a ten minute workout or something to keep active. Don't give up!! Start new tomorrow.
  • spoiledpuppies
    spoiledpuppies Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    I agree with the others. Don't wait. This can't be something that you turn on and off. And I wouldn't even baby step back into good routines and health. Just do it -- you clearly know how.
  • acogg
    acogg Posts: 1,870 Member
    Options
    No, it is not crazy. In some areas of my life I have the same problem. I can do everything right and then right before the kill, I slack off. You are doing the right thing right now, asking for motivation and advice. Here is mine, DO IT! It is not Christmas tomorrow, it is not the holidays tomorrow. Tomorrow is December 15th, time to get moving in the right direction! The exact days of the holidays are December 25th and January 1st. Celebrate Christmas, spend the week between Dec. 26th and Dec. 31st being a self-righteous fitness snob and then celebrate the New Year with a new dedication to fitness! LOL!
  • lighteningjeanne855
    Options
    I suggest that you don't buy sugary foods to keep at home.
    Buy the higher-sugar fruits, like dates, grapes and oranges
    to satisfy that sweet tooth. A trail mix with dried fruit and nuts is satisfying.

During the holidays, eat before you go to parties, Take an awesome
    fruit salad or platter for you to snack upon safely. You could even
    make a dip of non-diet lemon yogurt and honey for the fruit.

There are quite a few tips on MFP for surviving holiday social gatherings.
    Best wishes!
  • DasRonin
    Options
    I agree with the others, start right away! You have already identified the issues, now get an action plan together for each day and make sure you always have your meals prepared ahead of time to ward off the impulses. You got this!
  • leslisa
    leslisa Posts: 1,350 Member
    Options
    Here's what I think (God help you - right??) . No time like the present.

If you don't have time for full workouts, do minis. Ever jump rope for 5 min straight. It will kick your *kitten* if you aren't careful. Or how about 10 minutes of abs every morning (this I do). Or how about clenching those butt cheeks together on the way to school (I do this on the way to work) or maybe adding in deep knee bends brushing your teeth and wall squats after you use the facilities. May sound silly but all those little bits add up to a lot :smile: . 10 minutes here, 10 minutes there, you burn more calories than you think. I have tons of ideas for mini workouts (they are also very stress relieving) so if you want ideas, let me know :flowerforyou:
  • sugarnspice0613
    sugarnspice0613 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I completely agree with everyone else. Start NOW! I am in the same boat as you right now. I've been saying I'll restart tomorrow...and then tomorrow rolls around and I'm saying the same thing about the next day. A month goes by, and I look back at all the wasted time wishing I had started back sooner. You are so close, and you can make it! Just remember what you are fighting for :-)
    Options
    thank you
    Options
    No, it is not crazy. In some areas of my life I have the same problem. I can do everything right and then right before the kill, I slack off. You are doing the right thing right now, asking for motivation and advice. Here is mine, DO IT! It is not Christmas tomorrow, it is not the holidays tomorrow. Tomorrow is December 15th, time to get moving in the right direction! The exact days of the holidays are December 25th and January 1st. Celebrate Christmas, spend the week between Dec. 26th and Dec. 31st being a self-righteous fitness snob and then celebrate the New Year with a new dedication to fitness! LOL!

Thank you!
    Options
    I completely agree with everyone else. Start NOW! I am in the same boat as you right now. I've been saying I'll restart tomorrow...and then tomorrow rolls around and I'm saying the same thing about the next day. A month goes by, and I look back at all the wasted time wishing I had started back sooner. You are so close, and you can make it! Just remember what you are fighting for :-)

Thank you sweetie! We can DO IT!!!
    Options
    Here's what I think (God help you - right??) . No time like the present.

If you don't have time for full workouts, do minis. Ever jump rope for 5 min straight. It will kick your *kitten* if you aren't careful. Or how about 10 minutes of abs every morning (this I do). Or how about clenching those butt cheeks together on the way to school (I do this on the way to work) or maybe adding in deep knee bends brushing your teeth and wall squats after you use the facilities. May sound silly but all those little bits add up to a lot :smile: . 10 minutes here, 10 minutes there, you burn more calories than you think. I have tons of ideas for mini workouts (they are also very stress relieving) so if you want ideas, let me know :flowerforyou:

Thank you! I decided last night its time to pull my mini treadmill out of the closet..if I cant go to the gym,, the gyms gonna come to me lol. *hugs*
    Options
    I agree with the others, start right away! You have already identified the issues, now get an action plan together for each day and make sure you always have your meals prepared ahead of time to ward off the impulses. You got this!

I think I need to go back to pre-planning all of my meals..thank you for this reminder.
    Options
    I suggest that you don't buy sugary foods to keep at home.
    Buy the higher-sugar fruits, like dates, grapes and oranges
    to satisfy that sweet tooth. A trail mix with dried fruit and nuts is satisfying.

During the holidays, eat before you go to parties, Take an awesome
    fruit salad or platter for you to snack upon safely. You could even
    make a dip of non-diet lemon yogurt and honey for the fruit.

There are quite a few tips on MFP for surviving holiday social gatherings.
    Best wishes!

Yes I need to keep it out of the house, and I also need to learn how to say no to people when asked to bring the dessert to the party!! lol.. my 12 year old daughter made me cake-pops yesterday and I didnt want to say no I cant so I ate it and it set me off in a very bad way for the rest of the day (it's taking very little to set my sweet tooth off lately) so I need to learn how to say no thank you too :) thank you for the advice!
    Options
    I agree with the others. Don't wait. This can't be something that you turn on and off. And I wouldn't even baby step back into good routines and health. Just do it -- you clearly know how.

Thank you :)
  • HollisGrant
    HollisGrant Posts: 2,022 Member
    Options
    I was doing so good. I lost 80 lbs the healthy way: eating well and moving my body. And then school started, and then my boyfriend moved in. And then we broke up. And then finals hit. The exercise slowed to a standstill, and the holidays hit...sugar and more sugar..And here I am now. 80 lbs lost but still badly out of shape and still 30 lbs from goal weight. Have I gotten complacent? Lazy? Is this one of those life-stress related melt downs that I'll bounce back from? Do I tell myself I will start fresh after the holidays? Or will I be 5 lbs heavier, and have less energy to change>? Im scared. Where I used to be active and fit sugar into my macros, Im now going over, unable to say "no" and am binge eating after I put my son to bed. I dont want to give up so close to my goal. I dont want to re-gain weight Ive lost. I dont want to make excuses for not exercising. And I dont want to sound like a whiny baby. But Im scared. I need support. Has anyone ever been in my shoes? Has anyone ever bounced back from a rut that has both external and internal pressures? ANY tips are appreciated. Be as blunt as you like.

I feel for you! I'm an older adult who went back to college, plus I have a job -- my exercise dropped way off when my classes started again.

School, a baby, a break up, all add stress and pressure. But you can do this. Love yourself and look for positive ideas and motivation in small things to add to your life.

Can you buy a stationary bike and use it in the evening instead of binge eating? If that's not in your budget, you might look on Craigslist. A lot of people buy exercise equipment, almost never use it, and sell it at incredible discounts. I could kick myself because I had a great stationary bike, never used it, and gave it away for free in the newspaper just to get it out of my house. That's something quiet you could do at home while the baby sleeps.
  • akoorn1982
    akoorn1982 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    You can do it! Climb back on that horse and do it. Show your ex what he has let go off! Not tomorrow, not next year, NOW!