Work 12 Hours a day... No Time to Exercise

Options
So I work two jobs, which equates to me working 12 hours a day 7 days a week. Needless to say, that leaves little time for anything else. As well, I am always physically tired after work. ANy suggestions of work outs or exercises I could do?

Replies

• CJowa
    CJowa Posts: 3
    Options
    Try getting up earlier to workout before go to work. If the workout usually make you feel refresh and alert afterward, it could benefit you at work. Or you have to force yourself to workout after coming home/gym from workout. You could choose the workout that is shorter in time like 10-20 minutes a day instead of 1 hour, high intensity.

It is up to you :smile:
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    lunch break?
  • infamousdrew76
    infamousdrew76 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    If you're seriously that busy, you shouldn't need anything but to stop eating so much!
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    Weight loss is dependent on a calorie deficit. Exercise is for fitness. Focus on hitting your calorie goals and when life gets less busy, then try incorporating more exercise.

If you can spare 30min 1-3x a week, maybe try fitting in a walk or a short run, or do strength/resistance training with dumbbells or bodyweight exercises.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't worry about it - focus on your eating instead. Stressing your body with exercise on top
    Of your already hectic schedule isn't healthy! Rest is so important...I'd try and get 8 hours sleep a night over fitting in exercise
  • katznkt
    katznkt Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    I'm gone for 18 hours a day. I focus on eating and do jillian michaels 30 ds when I feel up to it.
  • missomgitsica
    missomgitsica Posts: 496 Member
    Options
    If you're seriously that busy, you shouldn't need anything but to stop eating so much!

Yep, this!
  • Sreneesa
    Sreneesa Posts: 1,170 Member
    Options
    A few sets of squats,lunges, push-ups jumping jacks, etc .. U can do these anywhere and anytime.

Also you can go on YouTube and find plenty of short workouts and do them anywhere as well long as you have a compatible phone.
  • clarabkyu
    clarabkyu Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    You are gone for about as long as my mother on a good day.

So I'm going to guess you're really exhausted after you come home from work and just want to relax. I would suggest doing your workout in short spurts. And you don't need to do them for long. You work for half the day, so just keep eating healthy. The short workouts on Youtube are probably going to help you out, unless you figure out a personal routine.
  • Vex3521
    Vex3521 Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    I do a few of these challenges while at work....

http://30dayfitnesschallenges.com/

I work graveyard and we've not got a lot of stairs around the office so those + a pullup bar in my doorway do help. Can you park farther out so you get in a little walk to and from the vehicle also? Or maybe start doing a "steps per day" challenge with a pedometer? all the little things do add up!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,699 Member
    Options
    Google "7 minute workout".

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • Project_Jodie
    Options
    I work 12 hours a day and I make time for exercise. You prob find that if you do manage to incorporate a work out you'll have more energy than if you didn't?

You could try training in the morning before work, before the day has begun - at present I am getting up at 330am to get my training in and get ready for work at 530am.

Do a quick work out at lunch - walking is a good one if your time poor.

squeeze in a work out between shifts. Do a work out instead of watching tv. I think it really depends on how much you want it. I certainly don't feel excited to be getting up at 330am but I do it cos I know I'll feel more tired than if I don't and I want to reach my goals!!

Good luck =!
  • bheathfit
    bheathfit Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    Not workout recommendation, but will definitely help.. Prepare your food in advance and always have a water container with you. Hydration will reduce fatigue and having food ready when you need it will save time. Time better spent working out.

I work 13 hr shifts and commute 30 min each way. My workday workout is 40 minutes. I used to do 90 minute workouts on work days and found myself waking up at stoplights due to extreme fatigue; so workout time was reduced.
  • Lifeisgood4
    Lifeisgood4 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    bump
  • jadedone
    jadedone Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    I'd try to add in activity during the day. Can you walk to errands? Do some squats, planks, lunges, push-ups when you wake up? Also look for at home circuit training b
  • Huffdogg
    Huffdogg Posts: 1,934 Member
    Options
    Basically it just has to be important enough for you to carve out the time. I've been there; I worked 7 10's and 12's for about 6 months this year. Either it's a big enough priority or it's not.
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    So I work two jobs, which equates to me working 12 hours a day 7 days a week. Needless to say, that leaves little time for anything else. As well, I am always physically tired after work. ANy suggestions of work outs or exercises I could do?
    If your jobs have you on your feet, I wouldn't worry about adding 'workouts' for now. You'd probably get more health benefits by taking on less right now, not more. 84 hour work weeks is a lot. I imagine this is temporary?
  • cmcostello23
    cmcostello23 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Hi! I can understand your dilemma! I work two jobs (high stress) for a total of 70 hours per week and I am currently training for a marathon. So here area few suggestions that have helped me!

1.Incorporate short but high intensity workouts. ex: Jillian Michaels has a lot of you tube workouts 30 min or less also there are good apps for your phone that can put together a 10-30 min workout consisting of strength training with body weight or yoga, etc. (ex: sworkit pro, yoga studio)

2.Remember that working out can give you more energy, I know I'm exhausted when I get home but I refuse to focus on how tired I am, I just focus on how I need to do my workout, Don't think... JUST DO IT. You could be surprised how much energy you still have even if you think you are exhausted.

3. I think its important to eat healthy, but exercise is important too. Exercise gives you more energy, improves your mood and reduces your stress. So no matter how busy you are, you still need exercise and if you work out the right way it will NOT create more stress but reduce stress and may help you improve your work productivity as well!! (ex: yoga!, can be quick 15-30 min routine but does wonders for your body and stress!)

4.Work out on lunch break - quick walk or jog, squats, push ups, lunges, etc.

5.Are you a morning person? workout super early. Are you a late night person? workout late at night after work. Know yourself, what works best for you, your body's limits, what types of things derail you, etc. For example, I used to always plan my workouts in the morning but I would always sleep in, I know that I can not do that now and the only time I will actually work out is late in the evening

6.Weight loss depends mostly on diet...so eat the right portion and right foods. Still exercise but don't feel guilty if you can not work out 5-6 days a week for 2 hours. Just do the best you can even if its only 30 min 3 days per week.

7. Workout for small periods of time through out the day: Ex: Every 1-2 hours do 20 lunges, or 20 wall push-ups, jog in place, 5min of cardio 6 times per day, take the stairs, park far away, etc. Some of these things you can do every time you use the rest room!

I know its hard but you just have to make up your mind to do it, if you want it bad enough you will find the time to workout...the hardest part is to start, but once you do you will see the benefit and it will motivate you to keep going. I hope this helps! Feel free to contact me if you need anything! I can completely relate! :)
  • sarahable83
    Options
    If you are in stress the meditation will work for you. This will help you to get internal energy to do the work. For physical fitness just try to find some time from this busy schedule. At least 10-15 mins in the morning or evening and do yoga. This will help you. Control over eating and have healthy food. If you want some inspiration and motivation to read or listen to any motivational speaker when you have time for yourself. Visit this to get some inspiration:
    http://bit.ly/1h4tCDg