do i eat back my exercise calories?

Options
Hi!!
So, i am trying to lose weight 1 pound/week
i really don't want to go any faster , because i already have caused enough damage to my body by
being in a very unhealthy diet, and exercise regime, and this week is when i feel that my body has finally recuperated.
MFP calculates that in order for me to lose 1 pound/week i need to eat 1590 calories a day.
i exercise - this includes running most of the time , where i enter my weight in the treadmill, and also the Arc trainer - where i enter my weight as well- and calories burned are based on that- so i hope the calories they say i burn are correct. I go to the gym 4-5 times a week and burn around 600 calories running...each time i go.
my question is if i eat those calories back- or 400-500 of them.. will i still be losing weight,
or do you guys think that wont permit me to lose the 1 pound/week

any opinions based on good facts and information are appreciated.
thank you

Replies

• KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,473 Member
    Options
    I do not.
    but most people feel they have to
    I do 2 to 3 hours cardio a week 7 days a week
    everyone feels different
  • SailorKnightWing
    SailorKnightWing Posts: 875 Member
    Options
    The numbers given to you are calculated in a way designed for you to eat them back. However, calorie burn estimates are often exaggerated, so you can usually safely eat half of them back.
  • j6o4
    j6o4 Posts: 871 Member
    Options
    MFP is designed for you to eat back your exercise calories so that you can keep your original deficit, this is because MFP calculates your deficit before exercise and when you exercise you increase that deficit. The cardio machine are not really accurate on calories burned so some people eat a portion of them back, the best option is probably getting a HRM to get a more accurate calories burned and this will allow you to eat back all your exercise calories.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    Of course.
  • michellekicks
    michellekicks Posts: 3,624 Member
    Options
    The numbers given to you are calculated in a way designed for you to eat them back. However, calorie burn estimates are often exaggerated, so you can usually safely eat half of them back.

I safely ate all mine back using my Garmin Forerunner 410 to measure my running and other cardio burns. My daily average activity burn was 500 calories. My gross food intake was an average of 2100 calories daily and I lost 30 lbs in about 8 months.

So eat them back. If you don't lose, eat 75% of them, or 50% of them... see what works for you.
  • goldenglitter83
    goldenglitter83 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I don't! I know some people do though. I burn off what I eat, but that's what works for me!