Myfitness Vs Weight Watchers

Options

Replies

• mattbell007
    mattbell007 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I've never done Weight Watchers; although I looked at it seriously several times, I could never get over the fact that it was so expensive, plus food. I joined MFP for three reasons -- they had a BlackBerry app, they had nearly all the food I eat in the database already, and it's free. I did try another free online tool for a week or two some months before I found MFP, but the food database was so small I had to enter everything myself. It was just too much work. With MFP, it's already in the database. (Although some of the food entries are hard to match up with what I'm eating if I eat homemade foods, because there are so many choices, it still gets me "in the ballpark".)

With MFP, I only keep track of two things: calories and fiber. Other than a Fiber One bar in the morning, I get all my fiber from Fruits and Vegetables, and I usually eat 2 or 3 times the MFP recommended fiber intake. 30g of Fiber is a low-fiber day for me. Calories are calories.

Although I've never tried WW, I don't think it would work for me even if it were free, given what others have said about being able to eat unlimited amounts of some foods. Any system you can "game" and still be "on the program" just wouldn't work for me. You can "game" just about anything but calories. I used the Atkins Nutritional Approach for a long time years ago, and for quite a while it was very successful for me, but it quit working because I started gravitating to high-calorie foods that were low-carb, effectively "gaming" the system.

The thing I found most effective about Atkins was that the food was very satisfying, and I was rarely hungry, even when the system was working for me. With MFP, I still use that concept. I find that as long as I'm within my calorie and fiber goals, I can eat some foods that are very satisfying (high-fat and protein) and make it so I don't feel hungry all the time, even at a calorie deficit. That helps me stick with the system.

The bottom line for me is whatever works for you is the thing you should use. Although I would never join WW and I've been very successful with MFP, I would never look down on someone succeeding with Weight Watchers.
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    "You can "game" just about anything but calories"

Oh, you can 'game' calories.
  • mattbell007
    mattbell007 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Perhaps I should have clarified. I meant without cheating. Sure, you can cheat, but you can't game them.
  • SailorKnightWing
    SailorKnightWing Posts: 875 Member
    Options
    I guess the major problem with Weight Watchers is people focus too much on the not-very-informative points total instead of focusing on why items are rated the way they are. You can lose weight on it without really learning any new habits other than some basic addition. When you go off the program, you may not have learned why WW approved brownies are X number of points and that all brownies aren't like that (an extreme example, but still relevant to less obvious swaps). That's not a problem with Weight Watchers itself, just the way people tend to misuse it.
  • lsigall
    lsigall Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Hi! Thanks for all your replies!

I do try and go for the healthy nutritious food 98% of the time, but I guess my reason for asking is simply because at times i just CRAVE certain foods especially at certain times of the month. So the days that I I'm salivating and looking like a woman possessed lusting after that bar of chocolate, or that plate of chips, would that be ok as long as I make sure i dont go over my allowance?

As somebody else already said, yes!

Vis a vis WW vs. MFP - I started this year using WW and lost my first 20 lbs on that. The rest I've dropped using MFP. I switched in June. What I like better about MFP is that it gives you better control over your macronutrients. WW does calculate the point value of foods by taking into account recommended macronutrient amounts, but it is non-transparent. On MFP, it is all fully transparent, so you understand what trade-offs you are making.

But you can lose weight using either. Depends on what works best for you.
  • austinartgirl
    austinartgirl Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I've lost 100 lbs. on Weight Watchers and have maintained that loss, for the most part, since 2006. I have roughly 75 more pounds to go to be at "goal". I've been a long time WW meeting goer. When I did leave the meetings previously, for a year in 2009, I did gain some weight back, which I have since lost again.

I recently stopped meetings again, and I'm using myfitnesspal. I have a different support system in place and I am happy here for the time being. Now I am a member of a local fitness group and I am finding that its a better source of camaraderie for me now. That being said, I have an event in my calendar called "start WW?" and I will place that in 3-month increments just as a reminder for myself to reevaluate.

I have not read every one else's responses yet, but needless to say WW has worked for me. I find that mostly from what I see in other online discussion groups, that a lot of people don't really understand the plan, especially around fruit. Fruit is not free, if you follow the program as it is written. They do push their products from time to time and its probably my biggest complaint. They've gotten a bit better about this over the years.

Keeping a food diary and having some accountability is really the fundamental reason why WW works, and whether I do it here or do it there - my success with whatever program I choose is based upon what I put into it.

That being said, I am really digging MFP right now. I was getting burnt out on the program and meetings (I just needed a change), I needed to save money, and as I mentioned I belong to this great fitness group that meets 3-times per week which provides fitness with a source of camaraderie.

I will always support WW for their program. They've had long term staying power and at one time (before all of these online sources) there weren't many options out there. I feel a lot of gratitude for them, even that they are a business. I also think that WW can be a great place for someone just starting out and needs a helping hand. Just walking into the meeting room can be a powerful experience.
  • tiggerlgh
    tiggerlgh Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Hi! Thanks for all your replies!

I do try and go for the healthy nutritious food 98% of the time, but I guess my reason for asking is simply because at times i just CRAVE certain foods especially at certain times of the month. So the days that I I'm salivating and looking like a woman possessed lusting after that bar of chocolate, or that plate of chips, would that be ok as long as I make sure i dont go over my allowance?

As somebody else already said, yes!

Vis a vis WW vs. MFP - I started this year using WW and lost my first 20 lbs on that. The rest I've dropped using MFP. I switched in June. What I like better about MFP is that it gives you better control over your macronutrients. WW does calculate the point value of foods by taking into account recommended macronutrient amounts, but it is non-transparent. On MFP, it is all fully transparent, so you understand what trade-offs you are making.

But you can lose weight using either. Depends on what works best for you.

This. I am a WW member but log most of my food here. I go to meetings with one of my friends and it helps me stay motivated and gives me some good ideas/practices. They do push exercise and at least my leader does not push WW products in fact she brings other brands in to show what is good. I think it varies by site and leaser. Overall, I think both are very similar and it comes down to what works best for you. Also some veggies do have points and my leader is very clear not to eat too much fruit. Really they are very similar, but what I like here is the larger DB and its easier to see all macronutrients. The plans are very similar.
  • domino211
    Options
    I have read all the posts about weight watchers vs myfitness and feel I need to "weigh in" on the matter, pun totally intended. Having a significant amount of weight to lose and not having tried either program in the past, I had seriously considered weight watchers because my brother-in-law and sister-in-law both lost quite a bit of weight on it in 2012 (50 and 30 pounds, respectively). But I was not willing to go to meetings, so I thought about doing it online, as they had. Quite by accident, I found the myfitnesspal website, and decided to try it first since it was free. That was at the end of August, and I gave lost 30 pounds so far. I see no reason whatsoever to start paying for something that I can get for free. That being said, I totally agree with others when they say that you get out of it what you put into it..... if you are not committed to becoming a smaller and fitter version of yourself, no program will work, free or not. I particularly like that I can get the chance to treat myself with a piece of chocolate ( or whatever floats your boat) just by upping my exercise for the day. Or not, if I just don't feel like getting on the treadmill that day. Going out to dinner is easy because you can work out a little more ahead of time so that you can feel satisfied later, yet not worry about killing the whole day just because you wanted the creamy salad dressing lol. Life is not about depriving yourself while you get healthy, and the more manageable the plan, the more likely you are to stick with it. I have not been this successful in years and with another 30 pounds to go (minimum), I feel like I can get to my goal once and for all. And if you are honest and track EVERYTHING you put in your mouth, you will quickly see that you don't always really want that extra helping of potatoes because you don't want to do another 20 minutes on the treadmill to make it go away : )
  • eileen0515
    eileen0515 Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    OP - that is not at all how WW works. You have to get in all the good health guidelines, while staying within your daily and weekly points. The GHG's are just as important as tracking your food and practicing portion control.

Exactly! I am surprised on these WW threads how many people don't read the material, and understand how it works. And the free fruit bashing drives me nuts. The materials clearly state to consume a reasonable amount of fruit. I don't know how people think the plan says eat as much as you want.

I lost 40 of my 65 pound weight loss on WW online. Never bought one of their products, or attended a meeting. It's a good program that encourages healthy food and relationships with food.

I switched to MFP because it is free, and I was getting bored. Also MFP does technology much better.

Ok, off my soapbox
  • gigglesinthesun
    gigglesinthesun Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    I eat a lot of fruit and vegetables, so the guidelines of 'being reasonable with you free point fruit and veggie intake' didn't really work for my life style. Now I count everything, stay within my allowance and the system doesn't care if I eat 5 bananas and about 600 cals in vegetables in one day (which I don't feel is an unreasonable amount, but others might disagree). I find MFP more transparent :smile:
  • jigsawxyouth
    jigsawxyouth Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    Reading this, as I am currently interested in using WW as opposed to MFP. I did lose weight on Weight Watchers after I had my son. However, with the official online app, I had to enter in a lot of foods, the database really wasn't that extensive, and I have had to cancel after I finished my first 3 months.

But, I have found an extensive app, called Point Plus Diary that is JUST like WW, but the app only cost me 1.99, instead of a monthly membership fee. The food database is as extensive as MFP and there is even a barcode scanner, like MFP.
    So, if you don't want to do meetings, pay a monthly fee, but use WW, I highly suggest that app pointsplusdiary.com/
  • leap314
    leap314 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    So excited I came upon this thread. I just signed up for WW last night and cancelled this am. $18.95 vs 1.99? No brainer!!
  • QuilterInVA
    QuilterInVA Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    If you think losing weight is just about calories, you're in for a big surprise. What you eat plays a big part in weight loss. Eating junk won't get you to your goal here or at WW.
  • eldamiano
    eldamiano Posts: 2,667 Member
    Options
    If you think losing weight is just about calories, you're in for a big surprise. What you eat plays a big part in weight loss. Eating junk won't get you to your goal here or at WW.

"If you think losing weight is just about calories"
    Yes it is

"What you eat plays a big part in weight loss. Eating junk won't get you to your goal here or at WW".
    If you stay under your calorie intake, yes it will
  • bobbie1965
    bobbie1965 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Ive done both..WW is points..you reach your points your done..but can still eat fruit & vegies...myfitnesspal is calories..they both track your fat.carbs.protien & fiber...fitnesspal will also track more too like your sugar.salt ect
  • bobbie1965
    bobbie1965 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I did WW an dstill did my food loging on fitness pal..dadanbase was much better i though
  • daniellelevee
    Options
    Actually, fruit is only "free" up to three servings a day. And really, fruits and veggies aren't actually free. Your daily points are assuming you are eating the recommended amount of fruit and veggies. If you calculate points into calories you'll notice that it seems low, that's because it's assuming the addition of fruits and veggies. The idea is that making them "free" encourages people to choose fruits and veggies as snacks.
  • deedoyle9
    deedoyle9 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    On the tool bar between exercise and apps you have reports which gives oddles of your statistics on weight loss, calorie count etc from periods of one day to one year:smile:
  • RealtyGoddess
    RealtyGoddess Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I am in the process of transitioning. I have been on WW since Jan 1, 2014 and I've lost 26lbs so far but I am not happy. I lose so crazy. One pound here, then nothing, then 5lbs there, then nothing. HATE IT. The activity points, flex points, zero fruits and veggies thing just feels funny. Please let me know if you continued or dropped one or the other. I'd like to know your progress and what you think of both.

I am finishing this month (June) with WW and tracking in MFP as well to compare.
  • Awesomers
    Awesomers Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    I considered WW, but I feel like the whole points system is way too complicated for me. Ironically, I think that the system is supposed to be the "easier" version. Plus, WW costs money. Among the free calorie counting sites, I like MFP more than others because I think the community is made up of more knowledgeable and diverse users with healthier goals. The food database is also excellent. I haven't found a better one.