Plant-Based Protein Powder?

Options
Anyone ever try any plant-based protein powders? I'm not completely sold on the whey isolate which my surgeon (for RNY gastric bypass) suggested because I just don't think its a healthy product. But I understand why they suggest it, because its the most popular, it does work, they have results from research since its the most popular. They don't however have much research really on plant-based protein powders. I asked another Weight Loss Surgeon who is a vegetarian Dr. Garth Davis suggested Vega Protein or Garden For Life as plant-based protein powders. I want to live a more plant-based lifestyle though I will occasionally still eat meat and egg whites sometimes and dairy on very rare occasions. If you have tried a plant-based protein powder, what do you suggest?

Thank you in advance for your comments! Please no contention.

Replies

• Bluizflame
    Bluizflame Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    https://www.google.com/search?q=plant-based+protein+powders&oq=plant-based+protein+powders&aqs=chrome..69i57&sourceid=chrome&espv=210&es_sm=93&ie=UTF-8

I use Whey Isolate, so i can't give you much info on the plant based stuff. But Soy is a plant...so maybe soy protein?

Garden of Life Raw ($29 from Amazon for 28 servings) – This is a very high quality, plant based protein that is gluten free, vegan, dairy free and Non-GMO project certified. What makes this organic protein powder stand out from the rest is definitely the taste. It is by far one of the most tasty plant based protein’s available and it is made with a unique blend of raw sprouted bio-available protein from brown rice, amaranth, quinoa, millet, buckwheat, garbanzo beans, lentils, adzuki, flax, sunflower seed, pumpkin seed, chia seed, and sesame seed sprouts. If you supplement protein everyday in your diet – this would be a great one to choose because of the varieties of plant food used.
  • angelaanhela
    angelaanhela Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Doctors want me to stay away from soy so that I don't mess up with my hormone levels. But you are right, soy is a alternative plant-based protein powder. They even have organic whey but I'm still not a fan of the health benefits of it.

Im looking for a plant-based protein powder with a variety of different plants, complete daily enzymes, low carb. low fat, hopefully at least 20g protein per serving. No soy, no casein.
  • DaniAni19
    DaniAni19 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I'm currently using the Garden of Life Raw Meal because it was on sale when I went to the store to pick up some Vega One. The Raw Meal is pretty grainy. It definitely tastes healthy but I mix it in a vitamix with coconut milk and force it down every morning instead of coffee. I think the Vega One definitely tastes better, but the Garden of Life may be healthier. I recommend picking up the single serving packets that are sold at most stores these products are carried at. I'm going to switch back to the Vega One when the Raw Meal is used up and I will post about if I can notice a difference in the way I feel. (I'm also Vegan and trying to eat a whole foods, plant based diet)
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    I used sun warrior brown rice protein for a few years, then switched back to WPI and WPC. I've got better results since switching back, in terms if muscle growth.

There are decent whey protein out there - I use one that is made from the milk of pasture fed cows, no hormones or antibiotics. The actual protein has no fillers, additives, sweeteners (artificial or "natural") etc.
  • mhorn2142
    mhorn2142 Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    Anyone ever try any plant-based protein powders? I'm not completely sold on the whey isolate which my surgeon (for RNY gastric bypass) suggested because I just don't think its a healthy product. But I understand why they suggest it, because its the most popular, it does work, they have results from research since its the most popular. They don't however have much research really on plant-based protein powders. I asked another Weight Loss Surgeon who is a vegetarian Dr. Garth Davis suggested Vega Protein or Garden For Life as plant-based protein powders. I want to live a more plant-based lifestyle though I will occasionally still eat meat and egg whites sometimes and dairy on very rare occasions. If you have tried a plant-based protein powder, what do you suggest?

Thank you in advance for your comments! Please no contention.

Dr. Garth Davis is my surgeon and wonderful. I have used the Vega Protein, but he actually encourages getting your protein naturally. He says we don't need as much as we think we do.

Please feel free to friend me.
  • BigGuy47
    BigGuy47 Posts: 1,768 Member
    Options
    Hemp protein.
  • FlaxMilk
    FlaxMilk Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    Pumpkin seed protein powder is my favorite for taste and texture. It took a while for my stomach to adjust to it, I used to get burning from it. Pea protein powder has a good nutrition profile but I hate the taste. I would use soy protein powder if not for having to keep soy in moderation.
  • summertime_girl
    summertime_girl Posts: 3,945 Member
    Options
    I like the hemp, but it doesn't always mix well with everything. It's an acquired taste for sure.
  • daffodilsoup
    daffodilsoup Posts: 1,972 Member
    Options
    I used to order a gemma pea/soy protein blend from True Nutrition - 118 calories and 25g protein per scoop. The vanilla birthday cake flavor is delicious!
  • UCSMiami
    UCSMiami Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Sunwarrior.com rice based and their manufacturing standards are quite high.
  • angelaanhela
    angelaanhela Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for the advice!
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    Options
    Doctors want me to stay away from soy so that I don't mess up with my hormone levels. But you are right, soy is a alternative plant-based protein powder. They even have organic whey but I'm still not a fan of the health benefits of it.

Im looking for a plant-based protein powder with a variety of different plants, complete daily enzymes, low carb. low fat, hopefully at least 20g protein per serving. No soy, no casein.

Your Dr's are so right. I have all kinds of hormone issues to include PCOS, Hypothryoidism and these caused onset of Diabetes due to all the hormone imbalances that led to metabolic disorder for me.

I would suggest Garden of Life also or Nutiva Hemp protein. I like the Vanilla.
  • jennegan1
    jennegan1 Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    Ive tried six star plant based protein. Plus it has greens in it. If you dont eat enough green leafy vegetables it helps that...Not bad tasting but tastes better with milk of course
  • _TastySnoBalls_
    _TastySnoBalls_ Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    Best tasting and most affordable plant based protein powder I've tried is called Plant Fusion. I've tried vega and garden of life brands and they are both are not that palatable and more expensive.
  • willnorton
    willnorton Posts: 995 Member
    Options
    bump it